mtbr member

Hope For those with hollowpoint sports

I, as with many of you, purchased my hollowpoint sport from supergo. One of the first things you may have noticed is that the rear brake is not routed correctly.

As a result, I decided to reroute the brake (by the way is a HFX-9 brake). I purchased the Hayes blead kit and got the correct pressure bushing. Unfortunetly it was much harder than I imagined. I went to unscrew the side of the cable by the level and the nut/screw cracked and broke. I managed to unscrew the cable with a set of pliers, but the screw was dead. I went over to the bike shop and tried to get the parts and they didn't have it. I actually looked almost everywhere and could not find the part. Instead of waiting several weeks for the new part, I purchased the HFX-Mag lever from the LBS. Wow, what a design difference. I now know why supergo was not re-routing the cable. The fact is -- the hfx-9 brakes come pre-manufactured and are really not designed to be taken apart. However, the HFX-MAG is defenitely meant to be taken apart and put together. It went together extremely easy and was up and running within an hour.

Just a little note for those who are going to attempt to do the same. Either purchase the HFX-Mag lever or don't touch the brakes.

-Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have the Expert which also uses Hayes HFX-9. What is the correct and incorrect cable routing?

mtbr member
    Slaw,

The frame has a support brace that is attached to the seat tube. On my hollowpoint, there was the rear derailluer and the front derailluer cables routed down the center of the standover tube and through that brace. The rear brake was routed down the first part of the tube, then brought over to the side of the brace. This resulted in scratching of the frame. I re-routed the cable to go fully down the center of the standover tube and through the brace. That seemed to fix the scratching problem.

-Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Mike,

Yeah, my brake cable is also routed to the outside of that brake. On the weekend I swapped the front/rear derailleur cables so that there is less rubbing on the head tube. I thought about the brake cable, but I might get the LBS to do it when I take the bike in for a service. I've never done anything with disc brakes yet but I can wait til after my year's free servicing expires before having to learn up about them.
    I think I'll get some frame protection as well. The brake cable has already scratched the top tube between the gear cables.