mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Thinking of upgrading my Maverick

One of my buddies recently bought a downhill bike and said he was willing to part out his warrior to me. What I was really after was the disc brakes, but my shock and frame don't have the holes to mount the calipers. He offered me the shock, front wheel and front caliper for $70. The shock on the warrior is a dart 1, which has more travel than my 80mm RST. Would this be worth it, or should I just stick with the short fork and v-brakes? Also, would it be worth it to try to find a mount for the rear caliper and go full disc? Getting a new bike is far down the line for me, because I don't have the money to make a worthwhile upgrade. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The price for the fork, front wheel, and brake is okay, but it might be better to save that money for a new bike that would be a significant upgrade over what you have now.

Regardless of what you decide to do on the front end, I wouldn't bother with attempting to convert the rear to work with disc brakes. It'll cost more than it's worth, and again, it's money that would be better spent on a new bike.

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    The Dart 1 is the lowest end fork made by Rockshox, and it shows. I'm guessing it's 100mm, and you'd probably only get about 80mm out of it anyway. A friend of mine is over 200lbs, and can't even bottom out the dart with a SOFT spring in it.

What kind of Rim/Hub/Caliper is he selling you? If they're all low end, it wouldn't be worth the upgrade IMO. I'd recommend to wait till you can get a new bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I was able to talk him down to $50, so I went for it. I tested it out on some rocky trails and found I really liked the fork. The real improvement was on the brake, especially after hitting mud and water puddles. It's not a huge upgrade, but $50 for a brake and fork seemed too good to pass up. The Dart is 100mm, the rotor is 160mm and the caliper is a Tektro HOX(?). I'm not sure on the wheel, but Bikepedia says alloy double wall with stainless steel spokes. It doesn't have a whole lot of room for adjustment, but it does have a knob for preload, so I'll have to research a bit and learn how to use that as best as I can.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    The brake is a Tektro IOx. Cut the excess cable off the front caliper...leave like an inch of cable and get a couple of cable crimps from your LBS and use one on the end of the cable. The Dart fork has next to no adjustment. The knob is supposed to adjust preload, but it doesn't really do anything. I had one on my Iron Horse stock, and replaced it with a Rock Shox Recon 351. I also managed to strip the brake mounts .
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!