mtbr member
    Apr 2012

thinking of getting a iron horse

so i got a giant trance 3 and looking to get rid of it for a iron horse my buddy has one and i really like it anybody give me some insight on what to look for

High Gravity Haze
    Smoly Hokes! There's been a grammatical collision resulting from missing punctuation!

Giant Trance 3 versus Dorel Ironhorse; I would be inclined to pass on the situation and ride the hades out of my Giant while letting my buddy deal with any warranty issues that may arise.

In all due respect, currently I would advise to stick with what you have. If you wish to upgrade, return to your local bike shop and work with them. Ironhorse has been acquired by Dorel industries placing both their quality standards and customer support in question. They may choose to uphold a higher standard of quality in the long run, but currently their decision to market the Ironhorse brand in large retail chains has many people skeptical of the Ironhorse brand as a whole.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Yes, IH was bought over by Dorel (Pacific Cycles), and yes they make some real crappy bikes with the Iron Horse logo on it, but the bike manufacture Airborne now holds the old Iron Horse build rights, and they are building the traditional IH bikes we knew of and that I also have, like....

IH Yakuza Kumicho (is now the Airborne Taka)
    IH Yakuza Aniki & Warrior (is now the Airborne Marauder)

You can get replacement parts through Airborne, though they will not warranty the older IH fleet.

Airborne Bicycles. Downhill & Freeride

What IH bike are you looking at getting from your friend. I own several IH bikes and love them, and they take a serious beating as well.

IH Yakuza Kumicho
    IH Yakuza Aniki
    IH Yakuza Gashira

I also have a Santa Cruz Bullit that has a the same geo as my Aniki, so I love it as well.

Anyways, i am not going to dog you about the warranty issues, but as i mentioned, you can get replacement parts for the above mentioned steeds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What airborne took over are the low end IH bikes, which are not worth it IMO. the DW link designed IH bikes were the good ones to get (MKIII trail, although many rear triangle failure so I would skip (loved it and sold it before it broke and now riding Ibis Mojo/Mojo HD), 6point, 7pt, and Sunday).

I've just sold an IH Yakusa Kumicho and it was a jack hammer when braking on rough stuff (stiffen up during braking) - that single pivot just can't compete with real link design like DW suspensions. I now have a 7pt I haven't tried yet but I may sell it as my Mojo HD with DH tires might just fine for DH courses.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by donvito#1 View Post
    soigotagianttrance3andlookingtogetridofitforaironh orsemybuddyhasoneandireallylikeitanybodygivemesome insightonwhattolookfor
    There, that's better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai-CP View Post
    Yes, IH was bought over by Dorel (Pacific Cycles), and yes they make some real crappy bikes with the Iron Horse logo on it, but the bike manufacture Airborne now holds the old Iron Horse build rights, and they are building the traditional IH bikes we knew of and that I also have, like....

IH Yakuza Kumicho (is now the Airborne Taka)
    IH Yakuza Aniki & Warrior (is now the Airborne Marauder)

You can get replacement parts through Airborne, though they will not warranty the older IH fleet.

Airborne Bicycles. Downhill & Freeride

What IH bike are you looking at getting from your friend. I own several IH bikes and love them, and they take a serious beating as well.

IH Yakuza Kumicho
    IH Yakuza Aniki
    IH Yakuza Gashira

I also have a Santa Cruz Bullit that has a the same geo as my Aniki, so I love it as well.

Anyways, i am not going to dog you about the warranty issues, but as i mentioned, you can get replacement parts for the above mentioned steeds.
    Thought this was funny. Airborne does not own any build rights to old IH frames. The frames that AB used are from 2008. They are not developing these frames. They using left over frames that are from 2008.

I would stay far away from Airborne if I was you.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by ihateu View Post
    Thought this was funny. Airborne does not own any build rights to old IH frames. The frames that AB used are from 2008. They are not developing these frames. They using left over frames that are from 2008.

I would stay far away from Airborne if I was you.
    I've clarified this before, but I will again for you.

The factory that made IH bikes was out of a lot of money when IH went under. They retained the rights to many of the frame drawings and tooling as a result.

Airborne started up two years ago using the same factory. Some of the IH designs were utilized at the time because time was short and Airborne needed quality, tested frame designs. Rightly or wrongly.

None of the frames were "left-overs" that were laying around in some factory or warehouse. They were made new.

Since then, AIrborne has been working thru those models and phasing them out, replacing them with new designs. By the end of this year there will be no more IH-type bikes left in the line-up.

Airborne does not sell replacement parts for IH bikes.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns that I may address, thanks.
    Airborne Dude.