mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thinking of Changing Expert Fork to 04 Minute One

I posted this on the shocks forum and wanted to see what the IronHorse experts (no pun) say. I decided to hold off getting the 05 MK 3 probably until 06.

I went to Supergo and saw an outrageously great price ($290 and no tax) for a Manitou Minute Fork. I have a Hollowpoint Expert 03 w/ a PUSHED Float AVA shock and th Fox Float 100 RL. My bike is dialed in to what I consider perfect. But, I also have a HT that I ride w/ 03 XC Duke fork. I didn't know what a great fork was until I rode the Fox. So, I wanted to upgrade the HT to a 100 mm fork. Well, the Minute One has 130 mm which would be awesome on my Hollowpoint. The 04 Team version actually has the Minute 3.

So, I was thinking about putting the Fox Float 100 on my HT and putting the Minute 1 on the FS ride. Here's the way I see it:

Fox Advantage
    Smooth
    Tracks fantastic
    Great adjustments

Fox Disadvantage
    Only 100 mm
    No SPV

Minute Advantage
    100-130 mm travel
    SPV

Minute unsure?
    Is SPV really worth it?
    Small bump compliance not as good as Fox because of SPV?

Sorry for the long post, but everyone on this board has given me great advice in the past. Thanks in Advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey
    in my opinion, SPV isnt that great. I mean, when I buy a new fork, I expect it to track, and keep my wheel glued to the ground. I've ridden the Minute 1, and the small bump compliance is hardly there, nothing compared to my 2003 Psylo SL. I find lockout alot more effective, it isnt a pain to setup, and when you're about to tackle a tough climb, you just need to reach down a tad and turn a lever. If you want a "stable platform" fork. Get the new Reba, it lets you control exactly how you want the fork to perform. And angryasian gave it a stellar review. It also has rock shox Dual air, which makes for an amazingly plush/compliant ride.