Fragile - must be Italian

Status of Iron Horse

So what's the status of Iron Horse these days? I know they were bought by Dorel about 6 months ago, but I have not heard anything since then. The IH website says "coming soon...".

Does anybody have the 411 on the brand and future bike lineup?

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Apparently dead and gone, with no chance of resurrection. There was some talk from the new owners about a new life as a maker of Kmart-level bikes, but nothing seems to have happened. Even the sites selling NOS spares have gone down!

I'll be riding my IH until one of us breaks.

banned
    Frankly, Scarlett I don't give a damn.

At one point I was concerned, but more for Dave and how he progressed from just working for them. Since this had become undone well a Year ago, it finishes like a flipped-House.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by norton05
    Apparently dead and gone, with no chance of resurrection. There was some talk from the new owners about a new life as a maker of Kmart-level bikes, but nothing seems to have happened. Even the sites selling NOS spares have gone down!

I'll be riding my IH until one of us breaks.
    Hmmm...well that sucks. Titus just bit the dust too, which is really unfortunate since they were once my "local" AZ bike brand. I sold my MotoLite to buy my 6point6 just as IH was going down the tubes and I was wondering if I made a mistake. Well, it looks like it didn't matter.

Now I am hearing rumblings about some other brands going belly up, such as Chumba (or was it Banshee?). And I wouldn't be surprised to see Ellsworth fold. Pretty soon there won't be anything left except the Big S, Trek, and Giant.

FWIW -- I absolutely love my 6point6 and will also keep it until one of us breaks.

Thx...Doug

banned
    Iron Horse likely was bought by Dorel for insurance. The Biking Community was put through too much. The name is junk. Dorel alone prohibiting access to Iron Horse is easily worth 5.2M.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    funny, I was thinking about an FTM to replace my MKIII when it dies

Sucks to see all these companies go under, I feel bad for the employees. Titus, IH, Chumba, etc.- None of them made bad products, they were just run into the ground by the morons in charge!

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Hmmm...well that sucks. Titus just bit the dust too, which is really unfortunate since they were once my "local" AZ bike brand. I sold my MotoLite to buy my 6point6 just as IH was going down the tubes and I was wondering if I made a mistake. Well, it looks like it didn't matter.

Now I am hearing rumblings about some other brands going belly up, such as Chumba (or was it Banshee?). And I wouldn't be surprised to see Ellsworth fold. Pretty soon there won't be anything left except the Big S, Trek, and Giant.

FWIW -- I absolutely love my 6point6 and will also keep it until one of us breaks.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Pretty soon there won't be anything left except the Big S, Trek, and Giant.
    I hope you're wrong (though you're probably close).....as consumers we need more competition.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Pretty soon there won't be anything left except the Big S, Trek, and Giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodMadeDirt
    I hope you're wrong (though you're probably close).....as consumers we need more competition.
    Well, there are some small companies thriving... looks at Ibis: was bought by the original owner back from the dead from an investment firm that ran it into the ground in 2 years, and the company is making awsome bikes that have people waiting 6-12 months in some cases ! (Mojo HD - which is a crazy time to wait IMO). They took the industry by storm 5 years ago when they Introduced the Mojo carbon with 5.5" travel, and all their bikes are carbon, and now a lot of the big companies like Santa Cruz are making their bikes available in carbon as well...

The more I ride my with others on Specialized Enduro (lot of bike for the price) and SC Blur LTc, the more I realized how awsome the Mojo is.... I see a lot of them (more experience riders) lock their rear wheels on the steep/rooted downhills (my experience in the quick 1h demo I had on a Blur XC) whereas the Mojo just stick to the ground - guessing has to do with DW suspension...