mtbr member
    Apr 2009

So my Quantum has thinner tire in the rear?

Hey guys I am new to the forum. I just picked up a Quantum II today and I realized the rear tire is actually thinner than the front. So I asked the guy and he told me thats how they came and they did that on purpose for weight reduction. I am new to mountain biking so just want to see what you guys think? Any other reasons to put a thinner tire in the back? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Many people run a thinner tire in the rear to reduce rolling resistance and weight. Most of the traction & handling benefit comes from the front tire. I ride a 2.25" tire on the front with a 2.1' on the rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks a lot! But thats on the Pro side. So what am I losing with thinning tire in the back? I've tried researching but couldnt find anything. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You are not really losing much with the smaller tire in the rear. It's a slightly smaller contact patch so there are situations where you could have less traction, usually while climbing techncial sections, but only slightly. There could also be a slightly higher chance of a flat if the overall volume of the rear tire is less than a wider tire.

On the other hand, in many instances there might not be much clearance for a larger tire in the rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for your help! I know whats going on now. Thanks!

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    Just curious....what size tires did they put on your bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think I have 2.10 in the front and 1.95 in the back. So the difference is .15
    ITS Ninja tires

Is that bad?

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    The size difference is not bad at all, pretty common actually for trail riding. The ITS Ninja tires are pretty bad though. (what came on my Quantum II)

If you have some cash (about $45 depending on the tire you choose) find something new and sell the Ninja's on ebay for cheap. The Ninja's are heavy and the tread pattern is pretty horrible. Seemed to have a lot of rolling resistance and weak grip in almost all conditions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    so what tires do you recommend? I have a question, so if I want to upgrade the back to 2.1 and front to 2.25 then what do I have to do? What inner tube size should I get? And I dont really need to upgrade my rims right? Thanks!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mchkc240
    so what tires do you recommend? I have a question, so if I want to upgrade the back to 2.1 and front to 2.25 then what do I have to do? What inner tube size should I get? And I dont really need to upgrade my rims right? Thanks!
    No need to upgrade the rims, and your tubes will work fine. You can run a tube in a tire much bigger than it is spec'ed for. I've had 1.95 tubes in 2.35 tires, no problem.

There are a gazzilion good tire choices, you biggest concern is not getting one too big for the rear to clear. As far as what a good tire choice is, what kind of riding do you do? What is the terrain like? Are you more concerned with grip or speed (low rolling resistance). Or is this all new, you don't really know what you want and you just want a good all-rounder?

Smaller and/or less tread on the rear is very common.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey thanks for the respond. So I know I am going to be doing some trail. Basically thats what I am going to be doing. Nothing too crazy though. I want something that grip pretty well on the sandy roads but not too hard to pedal. Am I asking too much?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks a lot guys!
    Last edited by mchkc240; 05-22-2009 at 10:42 PM.