kona & ironhorse:SUPERIOR
    Dec 2004

Should i buy MKIII team or expert??

hi

i just wanted an opinion... should i get the mk3 expert or is it worth it to pay more and get the team (team: around 4000-4300, expert: 2800, corresct me if im wrong)... Is the step up worth the moolah???

--thanks, middysmitty

Riding a Rig.
    Personaly, I don't see an reason you would really need anything better than the spec on the expert.

also, they will end up being cheaper through supergo. You can get Performance to price match them.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

kona & ironhorse:SUPERIOR
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    Personaly, I don't see an reason you would really need anything better than the spec on the expert.

also, they will end up being cheaper through supergo. You can get Performance to price match them.
    thanks

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Strictly from a value perspective, the Expert will probably work out to be the better bang for the buck.

A handful of times now (and with all different brands of bikes), I've purchased complete bikes, stripped them down and rebuilt the frames to my spec. Each time, the parts spec on the bikes in the $1400 to $1800 range gets me the best return for the components that I end up selling off on ebay.

The 'sport' price level -- $1000 to $1300 -- usually doesn't have an interesting enough spec to the fat wallets on ebay, and the high-end $2500 to $3000 rigs have a great parts spec, but fetch a lower percentage of their retail value.

How ebay value translates to buyer value is the question, since you're buying the bike to ride, not rebuild. But I think it's safe to say that the Expert level comes spec'd with solid, tasty parts everyone wants, without drifting off into the nosebleed strata of gucci gram shavers.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed´┐Żb Nate
    Strictly from a value perspective, the Expert will probably work out to be the better bang for the buck.

A handful of times now (and with all different brands of bikes), I've purchased complete bikes, stripped them down and rebuilt the frames to my spec. Each time, the parts spec on the bikes in the $1400 to $1800 range gets me the best return for the components that I end up selling off on ebay.

The 'sport' price level -- $1000 to $1300 -- usually doesn't have an interesting enough spec to the fat wallets on ebay, and the high-end $2500 to $3000 rigs have a great parts spec, but fetch a lower percentage of their retail value.

How ebay value translates to buyer value is the question, since you're buying the bike to ride, not rebuild. But I think it's safe to say that the Expert level comes spec'd with solid, tasty parts everyone wants, without drifting off into the nosebleed strata of gucci gram shavers.
    I agree.
    I am riding an MKIII Expert and the parts spec is top-shelf in my opinion.
    The bike is amazing
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

How did you get one?

Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    I agree.
    I am riding an MKIII Expert and the parts spec is top-shelf in my opinion.
    The bike is amazing
    I heard they won't be availabile until something like March or April. How did you get one? And more importantly, how much does it weigh and how high is the BB?

Riding a Rig.
    Nope, they are out there it seems. I heard that they would be available in december/january. You must be thinking of the us manufactured frames.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    YoGreg - where did you find your MKiii already??

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by CTRider
    YoGreg - where did you find your MKiii already??
    LBS ia an Iron Horse dealer and it is his rig.
    Last edited by yogreg; 12-06-2004 at 11:30 AM.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    My buddy is an Iron Horse dealer and it is his rig.
    He was good enough to let me ride it for a while, for testing and such.
    Greg - are you in Mass?? Looks like Lynn woods in your profile photo. If so, what's the name of the IH carrying bike shop?

Thanks!

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by CTRider
    Greg - are you in Mass?? Looks like Lynn woods in your profile photo. If so, what's the name of the IH carrying bike shop?

Thanks!
    I am in MA, and that is LW.
    I responded to your post on the thread I started.
    Last edited by yogreg; 12-06-2004 at 11:31 AM.
    Voltron