Thread: Shock for MKIII

mtbr member

Shock for MKIII

I posted a while back about whether to purchase a "new" (2005 unused model) MKIII for my son. I did eventually pull the trigger, and it arrived a couple days ago. He has not had any riding time on it because of some issues getting things set up. It came with a 2005 Progressive 5th Element shock. The shock is defective, and I'm probably going to have to buy a new shock. I'm just wondering what other shocks people have liked on their MKIIIs, and whether people have used any sizes other than the 7.5 x 2.0.

I am thinking about a Fox Float R, which I've seen new for $225. I know that with my DW link bike I don't ever use the propedal of the RP23, so the R would likely be a good choice.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have heard the Cane Creek Cloud Nine shock works really well with the MKIII. It has simple adjustable compression and rebound settings and looks easy to rebuild (if you need to). There was a guy on here a couple of years ago that really liked his on his MKIII.
    Last edited by DirtDiggler; 10-06-2010 at 07:16 PM.

26 for life.
    If you're looking at Fox Float R's, they come specced with the light compression damping.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah - that's a very good point. Fox shocks are usually pretty good in terms of rebound damping range, which is also important as I'll need light rebound damping also.

Thanks.

banned
    You will do fine with the Float R. Only if you have large variances in terrian(s) would you have to consider Compression Damping, and you decided against the ProPedal of the RP23. Just keep your Air Pressure up before each ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I seem to recall DW saying that his bikes are designed with very specific shocks in mind which I infer to mean it's not a good idea to deviate from the shocks originally offered on the bike.

The higher end MKIII's came with a Fox Float R, as opposed to the lower end Manitou Radium R on the lower end bikes.

I'd say go with one of these two shocks.

banned
    Not the original Shock, but which of the three original pre-settings fit the bike & the unique suspension. Known as 'A' - 'B' - 'C'. A-Tune is standard, but you can find 'RideMonkey.Com' hold-outs.

Quote Originally Posted by marshallmthomas
    I seem to recall DW saying that his bikes are designed with very specific shocks in mind which I infer to mean it's not a good idea to deviate from the shocks originally offered on the bike.

The higher end MKIII's came with a Fox Float R, as opposed to the lower end Manitou Radium R on the lower end bikes.

I'd say go with one of these two shocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    you can get a used Float that will fit for around $100. You need one with a 'light' compression tune, whatever brand it is- get the wrong tune and it will never work right, no matter what you set the rebound and air pressure to.

If you can handle $225, just step up to one of these babies for a bit more. They'll tune it for your bike, your weight, and your riding style.

Dropshot Champ!
    i might have an almost brand new float R for sale that was just push tuned 2 weeks ago. trail tune.

front tri just cracked...

mtbr member
    PM me if you decide to sell it and let me know how much.

mtbr member
    Anyone used a 7.875 x 2.0 on their MK III?? I know it's probably not recommended, but I doubt the extra 10mm would make much of a difference. I ask since there are no Float R's in the 7.5.

Dropshot Champ!
    pm incoming