Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

SHAME on Randall Scott Cycles!!!

So, remember how Randall Scott Cycles said that it would honor all IH warranties on IH bikes sold through them? Like here for instance:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...16#post5746916

Where Randall said:
    We will stand behind warranty for any bikes purchased through us in order to take care of our customers and try to maintain the Iron Horse name as a company that makes outstanding Mountain Bikes.
    Well, guess what? Someone who bought an MKIII from them and now needs a new rear triangle was sent this:

"Thank you for your email. Iron Horse was recently purchased by Pacific Cycle. Pacific Cycle is honoring parts warranty on Iron Horse bikes, but not Iron Horse frames. We currently have a rear triangle in green available for sale. The rear triangle would be $299.95 plus shipping. Please let us know if you would like to place an order for one."

Are you kidding me?!?!? How is this standing behind the warranty??

You gotta love this guy. He turns a bad warranty situation into a cash cow for himself. Charging $300 to a customer he promised a warranty to? That's not even crash-replacement cost. Good lord, how much could RSC have paid for that triangle, if indeed they paid for them at all (see thread linked to below)?

I thought people were going to be SOL once the replacement rear triangles ran out. Looks like RSC decided it could not wait that long, and decided it could milk the situation for even more money.

SHAME on them!!!
    SHAME on Randall!!!

If this surprises anyone, remember this thread:

Latest IH in the news....
    Last edited by kapusta; 09-03-2009 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Yep, Just got this....

Thank you for your email. Due to the changes with Iron Horse and their recent acquisition, Iron Horse frames are not covered by the new owners. Unfortunately, they will not honor a warranty claim for your MKIII.

What a bunch of aholes.

mtbr member
    How bout instead of all us complaining about it on the forums we rattle some cages and talk to a lawyer about a class action suit? Had I done a few more days research before buying this bike four months ago I would have never bought an Iron Horse, especially one from RS Cycle.
    2008 Iron Horse MKIII Trail - Bone Stock
    Member of the Rattling Creek SingleTrackers

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by h0ser81
    How bout instead of all us complaining about it on the forums we rattle some cages and talk to a lawyer about a class action suit?
    Is what someone says on MTBR legally binding? I'm guessing not.

Had I done a few more days research before buying this bike four months ago I would have never bought an Iron Horse, especially one from RS Cycle.
    Wow, we sure tried to make enough noise for you to hear!!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by murd
    Yep, Just got this....

Thank you for your email. Due to the changes with Iron Horse and their recent acquisition, Iron Horse frames are not covered by the new owners. Unfortunately, they will not honor a warranty claim for your MKIII.

What a bunch of aholes.
    Did you buy it from RSC? If so, when?

mtbr member
    My MkIII comp was purchased from RSC November of 08.

mtbr member
    Wow, this is truly unbelievable. They deserve every bit of bad PR that this is going to generate. These people are the scum.

Anyone care to make any bets on whether or not the mods bail them out by scrubbing this thread.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The whole time, I have been giving RS the benefit of the doubt with the whole situation. I think I just jumped off his ship.

Not cool trying to calm people down, saying you will warrantee the bikes, and now selling triangles.

MKIII purchased Jan 09.

mtbr member
    Glad I caught this thread. I just canceled a new IH order.
    Not that it was a bad deal, just that there is plenty of bad press involving RSC and their business practices, so i would rather not take the chance.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    "It's never just a game when you're winning."
    George Carlin (1937-2008)

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by geezracer
    Glad I caught this thread. I just canceled a new IH order.
    Not that it was a bad deal, just that there is plenty of bad press involving RSC and their business practices, so i would rather not take the chance.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Just out of curiosity, when you placed the order, were you aware that there was no warranty?

mtbr member
    No, unfortunately it did not cross my mind. I just "assumed" any defect would be covered.
    "It's never just a game when you're winning."
    George Carlin (1937-2008)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just wanted to point out another hypocritical action by Randall Scott (namely Randall himself)...

Not only is he not backing up any of the products he promised to in other forums (hypocritical action number one), but he is cowardly not addressing any of the issues surrounding this issue (hypocritical action number two). To elaborate: if you can remember from the previous forum, he called another MTBR member a coward because he wouldn't say who he was. Now, Randall is not even revealing his opinion on this matter to the forum and is acting in the same cowardly manner in which he accused the other member of acting. (check out the other forum here: Latest IH in the news....)

Well... you could also say that Randall Scott hasn't seen this thread, so it's unfair to accuse them of negligence. Solution: Let's make sure that Randall reads our frustrations by emailing the link to the company email address. That way, we can be sure that it gets to their attention and that the problem is addressed.

This further confirms that Randall Scott is run by scum-bags... or just one Big one. Don't get fooled by the "Do something positive to promote the sport" sign-off at the end Randall's emails. This slogan is akin to saying that it's "un-american" to question the actions of the government.

The most positive thing that we can do for cycling right now is ensure that Randall Scott stops stealing people's hard earned money and selling them defective bikes. (Positive suggestion to Randall Scott: stop trying to money-grub/nickel-and-dime, and follow the lead of backcountry.com... they make a lot more money than you do, and they have a lot of much happier customers.)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sunday Frames .... Made in USA, really? the one that I have had a made in Taiwan sticker on it

http://www.rscycle.com/Iron-Horse-Su...ide-Downhill_2

Product info
    Over the past four race seasons the 8” travel dw-link Sunday downhill bike has proven among the most dominant and sought after bikes in the mountain bike world. With a pedigree that includes world championships, world cup victories, national championships, and other wins on national, regional and local levels, the Sunday has become the bike of the choice for sponsored pros, privateers, and amatuers alike. The Sunday has changed the face of downhill racing by putting a world cup level, works type machine into the hands of the fans and riders themselves.The Sunday Factory Frame is the top Sunday frame available. Meticulously handcrafted in the USA the Sunday Factory Frame challenges any other downhill bike in whats really important weight, performance, and durability. Not to mention it looks ready to attack in Black Satin. If you are looking to step up to the next level the Sundsy Factory Downhill Frame is the way to go.

Features:

The factory frame is 3/4-1 pound lighter than the World Cup frame depending upon size, and are manufactured in the USA.

FRAME - 8" TRAVEL dw-link DOWNHILL FRAME, 1.5 HEADTUBE, 150MM X 12MM THRU AXLE HUB SPACING, 83MM BB SHELL, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER, ISCG05 CHAIN GUIDE MOUNT

REAR SHOCK - FOX DHX 5.0 COIL, 9.5"X3" 300LBS SPRING

HEADSET - E-Thirteen Zero Stack reducer set with FSA Orbit IS Black

COLORS BLACK SATIN

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I thought only the Factory frame was USA-made, the other Sunday frames were all Taiwan?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EricD4
    Sunday Frames .... Made in USA, really? the one that I have had a made in Taiwan sticker on it

http://www.rscycle.com/Iron-Horse-Su...ide-Downhill_2

Product info
    Over the past four race seasons the 8 travel dw-link Sunday downhill bike has proven among the most dominant and sought after bikes in the mountain bike world. With a pedigree that includes world championships, world cup victories, national championships, and other wins on national, regional and local levels, the Sunday has become the bike of the choice for sponsored pros, privateers, and amatuers alike. The Sunday has changed the face of downhill racing by putting a world cup level, works type machine into the hands of the fans and riders themselves.The Sunday Factory Frame is the top Sunday frame available. Meticulously handcrafted in the USA the Sunday Factory Frame challenges any other downhill bike in whats really important weight, performance, and durability. Not to mention it looks ready to attack in Black Satin. If you are looking to step up to the next level the Sundsy Factory Downhill Frame is the way to go.

Features:

The factory frame is 3/4-1 pound lighter than the World Cup frame depending upon size, and are manufactured in the USA.

FRAME - 8" TRAVEL dw-link DOWNHILL FRAME, 1.5 HEADTUBE, 150MM X 12MM THRU AXLE HUB SPACING, 83MM BB SHELL, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER, ISCG05 CHAIN GUIDE MOUNT

REAR SHOCK - FOX DHX 5.0 COIL, 9.5"X3" 300LBS SPRING

HEADSET - E-Thirteen Zero Stack reducer set with FSA Orbit IS Black

COLORS BLACK SATIN
    Is yours a Sunday FACTORY frame? I think some Sunday models are made in the USA, others not. I could be wrong, though.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Is yours a Sunday FACTORY frame? I think some Sunday models are made in the USA, others not. I could be wrong, though.
    I could very well be wrong myself on that. I have a Team version and my understanding was that they were the same frame with different graphics and have different component build kits when sold as complete bikes. No matter, I like the performance of my Sunday Team, the claim that they made just raised an eyebrow.

-E

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Factory frames were US made, the complete Sunday frames (Team, Expert, World Cup) had their frames made in Taiwan

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by simcik
    Factory frames were US made, the complete Sunday frames (Team, Expert, World Cup) had their frames made in Taiwan
    Thanks for the correct information

-E

banned
    I had thought one year had it's whole SUNDAY line-up USA-made.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I spent 300 bucks between two rear triangle re-welds and now see they sold new triangles for about the same? Has any progress been made on pressuring RS into honoring the original warrantees?
    hellboy

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

SHAME on Randall Scott Cycles!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wimeli@hotmail.com View Post
    I spent 300 bucks between two rear triangle re-welds and now see they sold new triangles for about the same? Has any progress been made on pressuring RS into honoring the original warrantees?
    I think at this point everyone has just moved on. The IH of his day went bankrupt 5 years ago. The IH brand has now been bought by another company, and is not honoring old warranties. Randall is long gone. Even if you could track him down, I doubt he has a pile of rear triangles in his basement.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    i think at this point everyone has just moved on. The ih of his day went bankrupt 5 years ago. The ih brand has now been bought by another company, and is not honoring old warranties. Randall is long gone. Even if you could track him down, i doubt he has a pile of rear triangles in his basement.
    thanks kapusta....i thought as much myself but needed to check things out...happy trails!
    hellboy