mtbr member
    Aug 2004

SGS Pro - Questions

We bought an SGS Pro last week at Supergo for $1400. For that price, we figured if we didn't like it, we could sell it for little loss.

1) I can muscle it up our favorite hill, but my son can't. THis is not a surprise, but it sure would be easier with lower gearing. I have a 12x34 XT cassette I can put on it, but what about rings? Where can I get a 34T for the FSA crank?

2) Any problem with putting a QR on the seat clamp so we can move the saddle up and down as we switch off?

A few observations:

I had never ridden a real DH bike before. This thing is really cool going downhill, but lugging 46 lb uphill is, well, a challenge. At least the SPV shock does a great job of keeping the bob down to manageable levels. I think with 34x34 gearing we'll be OK.

A few of the DH tech things were a bit of a surprise. Like I said, I'd never ridden a real, dedicated DH bike before. The chainguide setup, wider BB, 165mm crank arms, oversized bar/stem, 12mm through axle on the rear are all things you don't find except on a DH bike.

The suspension feels great. I can't wait to get it up to Keystone to check it out for real.

We already had a set of Shimano SPD DH/BMX pedals, so we put those on the beast. I'm an XC guy, so I like the feeling of being clipped in, and it really helps going uphill.

The gothic script stickers are silly. My wife actually thought it was an Iron Horse 'Bro', and my daughter thought it was a 'Fro'. I think a Sharpie may be enlisted to put a 'fro on the skull.

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    1) I can muscle it up our favorite hill, but my son can't. THis is not a surprise, but it sure would be easier with lower gearing. I have a 12x34 XT cassette I can put on it, but what about rings? Where can I get a 34T for the FSA crank?
    34T? That's pretty small for DH use. You can prolly dig up a 34T ring somewhere online. You will just need a 4x104mm bolt pattern ring. Here's FSA's DH ring selection: http://www.fullspeedahead.com/produc...“104mm-bcd.htm

2) Any problem with putting a QR on the seat clamp so we can move the saddle up and down as we switch off?
    No problem, just make sure you keep your post out of your shock!

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

34T not available from FSA - 36T Available

Thanks for the response!

I looked at the link. 36T is the smallest FSA offers. That would be better. Are there other brands of 5.5mm thick rings available? Is there a chainguide issue at some point? I'd really like a 34.

Hopefully I could get it down to where we could swap rings within a few minutes, so if a situation deemed the bigger ring to be necessary, then we could swap.

We'd like to be able to ride (s-l-o-w-l-y) up a gravel road that has a section of 18% grade. The bike actually pedals pretty darn well, it just needs some lower gearing.

Or we need to get stronger......

Industry Loudmouth
    I looked at the link. 36T is the smallest FSA offers. That would be better. Are there other brands of 5.5mm thick rings available? Is there a chainguide issue at some point? I'd really like a 34.
    I'm sure if you poke around some you'll find a 34T that will suit you needs. The e13 guide doesn't need to use a thick DH ring to work effectively. Check e13's ring selection also.

-ska todd