Kirbybikes
    Jan 2004

Set up tips for Hollowpoint new owner

I am picking up an new Hollowpoint Expert on the weekend and am planning a ride for the following day. Is there some set up pressures and setting recommendations I can use as a base. The bike is a large (21 inch), I am 6" 4" tall and weigh about 220 lbs with gear. thanks for any help.

mtbjk
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbybikes
    I am picking up an new Hollowpoint Expert on the weekend and am planning a ride for the following day. Is there some set up pressures and setting recommendations I can use as a base. The bike is a large (21 inch), I am 6" 4" tall and weigh about 220 lbs with gear. thanks for any help.
    very critical to set the rear at about half an inch of sag messured on the rear shock to make the rear suspension work properly. Im running a fox float r ava on mine on a small frame and go in at about 225 with gear and have to set the air pressure at my riding weight in the 3 .75 setting (the upper mounting holes) and about 255 in the 4.5 setting (the lower mounting holes and that seems to set the rear up fine. I also leave the rebound damper 4 clicks from the fastest rebound setting (all the way out and 4 clicks in) and that seems to work very well for just about everything. plush but climbs like a mule and doesnt bob just shift your weight to the front of the seat and hammer. as for the fork im not to familiar with the one you got but im running a fox float rl with 4 inch travel and run about 100 psi in it and that gives it about .75 inch of sag witch seems to work very well without bottoming out on everything but some of the bigger impacts so you get the bennifit of useing the suspension without getting beat up. good luck on the new ride and enjoy. oh yea I forgot to mention that in the short travel setting i run the ava all the way open and in the long travel setting i run it all the way closed

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbybikes
    Jan sounds like he has it dialed. Set the bike up to give 25-33% sag depending on your riding style.If you are climbing a lot, go less. Itf you are racing MTX, go a little more.

For the AVA, it is really important to run the air can volume as small as possible. The spring rate is VERY linear with those shocks. Too linear. Turn the collar on your shock body as far as it ill go clockwise and you will be all set.

Hope this helps

Dave

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    Jan sounds like he has it dialed. Set the bike up to give 25-33% sag depending on your riding style.If you are climbing a lot, go less. Itf you are racing MTX, go a little more.

For the AVA, it is really important to run the air can volume as small as possible. The spring rate is VERY linear with those shocks. Too linear. Turn the collar on your shock body as far as it ill go clockwise and you will be all set.

Hope this helps

Dave
    Really? When I bought my '03, the recommendation was for no more than half open, and that's about where I've got mine. (Is it half open, or half closed?) What's the advantage of closing it down? I'm not bottoming out, but then I'm about 125 lbs and don't do drops. I 'spose I could always try it closed down and go back to where I am if I don't like it. It climbs like a goat right now, but is still plushy-plush. I almost hate to mess with it.

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

OldTeen
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw

Hope this helps

Dave
    I've had my 03 HP frame for 3 months now and really like it. I've got the bit about the rear sag at 25-33% of travel. It really does help to get the most out of this design. Any tips about setting fork sag? I've been using about 18-20mm sag on my RockShox Duke C U-turn (108mm travel). This seems to yield decent overall performance for my 6ft/175# frame. Overall- What is a rider most likely to notice with incorrect sag (rear and/or front) on a HP dw-link bike?

mtbjk

Cool-blue Rhythm set up tips

Quote Originally Posted by OldTeen
    I've had my 03 HP frame for 3 months now and really like it. I've got the bit about the rear sag at 25-33% of travel. It really does help to get the most out of this design. Any tips about setting fork sag? I've been using about 18-20mm sag on my RockShox Duke C U-turn (108mm travel). This seems to yield decent overall performance for my 6ft/175# frame. Overall- What is a rider most likely to notice with incorrect sag (rear and/or front) on a HP dw-link bike?
    old teen i originally posted to run about .75 inch of sag but since last reply have tried other settings and found that the hp work's and handel's better with 1 inch sag on the front fork. I am running a fox float 100 RL and am running the rebound about 4 to 5 clicks in from farthest out position (counter clock all the way loose and 4 to5 clicks clock wise) and the bike is awsome it just does it all well. By the way I just received my 04 Warrenty frame this past week and it looks awsome Basically I have an 03 expert build on the 04 sport blue frame and it look's like a sleeper. Have not had a chance to take it out on the trail's yet but have been playing a little on the street and it feels much less flexy in the rear swing arm area and it wheely's like a charm very well balanced i just need to get the narrow shock bushings so i can install the block in the rear shock mount and i believe it will be totally side flex free i used the exact same pressure setting on the shocks and it feel's like it is dialed perfect I will no better on monday's ride also with the 04 frame the shift cable boss's are a little further apart and it seems to have ileviated a slower up shift problem that a was beginning to experiance it gives the rear shift cable a straighter run from the top tube to the swingarm and it shift's now better than ever and Im still running the originall sram pc 69 chain that came on the bike and have been doing 2 rides a week for the past year and they are normally 15 to 25 mile rides its just unbeleivable performance that i never got from a shimano chain and cassete apprxt 1200 to 1500 miles on 1 chain and cassete without any problems and i do alot of short steep climbs and it still is not at it's max limit yet and all i do is clean it and lube it once a week.I think thats all i have to say for now but am totally pleased with the new frame and IH HP performance RIDE ON Jan K