mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Seat post question

I have an '04 Hollowpoint sport that I have been riding for a few months. Yesterday, a buddy of mine pointed out that I don't have enough seat tube in the frame. Right now I have about 3.25" of tube in the frame. Does anyone know the Iron Horse specs for the amount of tube that is needed in the frame to not cause damage? Also does anyone know the dimensions of the stock seat post?

Thanks for your help.

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by s0larnuke
    I have an '04 Hollowpoint sport that I have been riding for a few months. Yesterday, a buddy of mine pointed out that I don't have enough seat tube in the frame. Right now I have about 3.25" of tube in the frame. Does anyone know the Iron Horse specs for the amount of tube that is needed in the frame to not cause damage? Also does anyone know the dimensions of the stock seat post?
    You will want to go by the markings on the seatpost in regards to minimum post insertion. It will be stamped into the post on the bottom 1/3.

The stock post is 27.0 x 350mm. If you need a longer post my recommendation would be a Thomson.

-ska todd

hot arse Florida
    That's a good suggestion on the Thomson, but if you need a post with any set back, like I do, you will be very limited in options. I found that only Salsa and Race Face XY have some type of set back in the 27.0 size 410mm length.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma
    That's a good suggestion on the Thomson, but if you need a post with any set back, like I do, you will be very limited in options. I found that only Salsa and Race Face XY have some type of set back in the 27.0 size 410mm length.
    Yeah, my Thomson is going up on ebay next week when my Salsa Shaft 410 comes in. The Salsa will give me 23mm of setback, and an Easton will give me up to 40mm of setback. Thomson doesn't make 400mm layback posts in the 27.0 size, and even if they did, they only provide for 16mm of setback.

Here I go second guessing Todd (sorry, Todd, but I can't help it) but the post should preferably extend one inch below the top tube junction to maintain frame integrety. It's only a rule of thumb, but a good one.

I realize the big gusset makes for an exception in the case of the Hollowpoint, but to go strictly by the seat post manufacturer's minimim insertion requirement only protects the seatpost, not the frame.

For example, the stock Easton EA50 post requires 75mm of insertion, some posts require 100mm, but the Thomson requires a paltry 63mm.

In almost any instance I can think of, the longer the post the better.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I really dig what Specialized does, I believe on their Enduro frames, where by drilling a small hole on the back of the seat tube, the rider can look through and instantly know that if they see post, they've got enough insertion. I wish more manufacturers would adopt that feature (hint).
    Last edited by Speedüb Nate; 07-28-2004 at 11:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Looks like I am off to find a longer seat post.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member

Outer seat tube diameter?

When buying a quick release seat collar, I assume they are sized by the OD of the seat tube? Anyone know off-hand what size fits a Hollowpoint '04??

Jim

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusCA
    When buying a quick release seat collar, I assume they are sized by the OD of the seat tube? Anyone know off-hand what size fits a Hollowpoint '04??
    31.8mm

-ska todd

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusCA

Jim
    If you want something special, check out the IRD (Interloc Racing) Tailfin.
    Last edited by Speedüb Nate; 08-19-2004 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Damn, Todd's FAST!