mtbr member

Roco WC on a 7point

I have a 2008 7point and am looking to upgrade from the Van R but have a couple of questions. First off, I weigh around 140 geared up and do mostly DH stuff and am wanting to start hitting some medium drops and such. Right now I'm on a 350lb spring and the rear setup doesn't have me confident to try bigger stuff for fear of bottoming out too hard. Anyhow, my two main questions are:

1. Is there anything special I should know regarding valving/ setup to optimize it's performance for the DW link?

2. My friend has the same shock and the spring from the Van R fit on it as well as it does on the Fox shock, could I use the fox spring? (if so I'll keep the 350 and order it with a 400 to have some options)

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny No.5 View Post
    I have a 2008 7point and am looking to upgrade from the Van R but have a couple of questions. First off, I weigh around 140 geared up and do mostly DH stuff and am wanting to start hitting some medium drops and such. Right now I'm on a 350lb spring and the rear setup doesn't have me confident to try bigger stuff for fear of bottoming out too hard. Anyhow, my two main questions are:

1. Is there anything special I should know regarding valving/ setup to optimize it's performance for the DW link?

2. My friend has the same shock and the spring from the Van R fit on it as well as it does on the Fox shock, could I use the fox spring? (if so I'll keep the 350 and order it with a 400 to have some options)

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.
    If you weigh 140 pounds geared up than your spring is already about 100 pounds higher than recommended.
    I ran your numbers through 2 spring calculators and both are recommending a 250lb spring for 30 ish percent sag. A plusher feel would require a lower spring rate not a higher one. Obviously you might want to go a little higher for FR stuff.

For comparison, I have a Roco TST-R on my Giant Faith with a 350lb spring and never bottom out. Used to use it on my 6point. I weigh 190lbs or more geared up. And the Faith has a higher leverage ratio due to 8" of travel vs. 7" on the 7point.

Here are the spring rate calculators.. TFtunedshox or Igorion.

The world cup has a bottom out adjustment under a silver cap on the reservoir. You increase the air pressure. For the world cup, I would run compression full open, rebound to your liking (slower for freeride, faster for DH) , and go max psi in the bottom out chamber.
    And you might want to go to a 300lb spring instead of a 400lb spring.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. The calculator I used when I bought the bike put me at 300-350 for 25% sag (can't remember which, and I may have used 145 as my weight to though, I'm between 135-140 ungeared). It came with a 300 and I bought a 350, so I figured if I got a 400 with this shock then I'd have a spring for whatever the day calls for. I can't base too much of my decision on current shocks performance I guess, right now with a 350 I'm able to bottom out on maybe 4' drops and am nervous to try anything bigger because of it. I figure that if I have a good range of springs then I'll be more able to experiment. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny No.5 View Post
    Thanks for the info. The calculator I used when I bought the bike put me at 300-350 for 25% sag (can't remember which, and I may have used 145 as my weight to though, I'm between 135-140 ungeared). It came with a 300 and I bought a 350, so I figured if I got a 400 with this shock then I'd have a spring for whatever the day calls for. I can't base too much of my decision on current shocks performance I guess, right now with a 350 I'm able to bottom out on maybe 4' drops and am nervous to try anything bigger because of it. I figure that if I have a good range of springs then I'll be more able to experiment. Thanks again.
    It does sound a little odd that you bottom out doing 4 foot drops with a 350lb spring rate. I hope they are not drops to flat cause that changes things. I do not believe the Van R has any sort of bottom out control and is a fairly simple damper. That may be the cause. Maybe the damper is not 100% either.
    The world cup is a good shock and shouldn't really need a revalve for decent performance with the 7 point. . But revalves are usually a good idea anyway for best performance.

As an option, you may want PUSH industries or Avalanche Downhill Racing to convert the VAN R to a higher performance with their custom internals.

Obviously the ideal shock is one that is uber plush for the rough stuff and high speed chunder but can also handle the big drops and jumps. Stiffer springs and stiffer compression settings make for a rough ride. In my experience, a multi circuit damper is necessary to get the best balance. Hi/low speed compression type damper like Push's MX tune or Avalanche's AVA advantage tune.

mtbr member
    Thanks again. I do think that the Van R is just a baseline shock with baseline performance and don't want to use it as a judge of what spring rate to use on the Roco, though if all my springs will fit I'll still most likely order it with a 400 just to have a wider range of adjustability in springs. I have looked into having the Van R Pushed but the MX tune is never in stock and if I'm gonna do anything to that shock I would want the full monty. I think my course of action will still be to get the Roco and next season or so send it to Avalanche (thanks for the "lead") to have it fine tuned and whatnot. Also, I'm not the world's most talented DH rider and sometimes the drops don't always have optimal landers so that leads to bottoming out. Ultimately I know that being on a 7" bike that there will always be a compromise between plushness and big hit handling, just a shame I can't afford another bike for the full DH stuff and set the 7point up for drops and jumps.