Thread: Rider Weight

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Rider Weight

is there any concern if i way 240 for riding the Hollowpoint? i was looking at the manitou shock manuals and they suggest 50-70% of body weight for the psi in the shock, which would be withint the listed safe limits of the shocks, but i saw someone else suggesting setting the shock psi equal to your body wieght which would be well above the listed safe limit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Max PSI at Swinger main chamber

Well... in my case I weight almost 170 pounds so I set my rear shock to 175psi and it pedals and performs great under any condition. But, I would really want to know what is the max. PSI for this shock. I have my bike set up to the 3.75" travel. I changed it once to the 4.5" and it felt too plushy. I believe I need to increase PSI volume at the Main chamber but I don't know how much in order to match the performance in pedaling and response under the 3.75" setup. Anyone?

My Hollowpoint is a 2004 model with the Manitou Swinger SPV 3-way shock. By the way, the instructions that came with my bike for the shock was very general. I didn't trust those instructions so I followed some recommendations found in a bike magazine for the 5th Element which is very similar in operation and setup to the Swinger.

Regards,

Erwin
    Yauco, PR

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    from what I have read on the different forums, you can still go by sag for setup (in either the 3.75 or 4.5 setup). In the 4.5 setup it will simply take more pressure in the shock (highre psi) to get the same sag. I also noticed the bike 'felt' plusher in the 4.5 mode... but I like it that way better! no idea what the max psi for the swinger 3 way is however... (did not find anything searching the docs from the website either (04Swinger_eng.pdf)

so from what I understand you can use the 1/2 inch sag on the shock as a guide and go from there... (I am new to the whole suspension thing... but that basic setting seems to work for me).

Riding a Rig.
    I think the max PSI for the main chamber is 300 PSI. As for the setting it really depends on what the leverage ratio is. From what I've read its all about the sag in a hollowpoint. You would want 25-30% sag, not sure what pressures that woulkd put you at but I'm sure its well within the limits of the shock. At 240lbs you may want to consider the MKIII that is coming for 05, its a bit beefier than the hollowpoints are. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hams
    is there any concern if i way 240 for riding the Hollowpoint? i was looking at the manitou shock manuals and they suggest 50-70% of body weight for the psi in the shock, which would be withint the listed safe limits of the shocks, but i saw someone else suggesting setting the shock psi equal to your body wieght which would be well above the listed safe limit.
    Hams, I'm riding a Hollowpoint Sport and my weight fluctuates between 220 and 240. I have about 200 xc miles on my bike and I haven't had any problems. The max psi on the Manitou QR is 300 and I've been running it at about 270 psi. I have my bike set up in the longer travel mode. I ride 100% xc with no sizable drops to speak of...

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by hams
    Just to add to what the others have already said, the Manitou manual and its recommended settings can be thrown out the window. You want to hit that 30-33% mark (1/2" sag) very closely, and the book values won't necessarily get you there.

The Hollowpoint's 3.75" mode will require approximately 80% of the psi that the 4.5" mode requires. So if you need 270 psi for 4.5" mode and your weight is proving to be too taxing, you can switch to 3.75" mode and use maybe 225 psi for the same 1/2" sag.

Good incentive to shed a few pounds once you get the bike.

The '05 Hollowpoint replacement, the MkIII, will use a 2" stroke shock. The MkIII with 5" of travel will have approximately the decreased leverage ratio of the current '04 Hollowpoint in 3.75" mode.