mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Recommendations for replacing Hansventure?

I was riding my MKIII today and I noticed the front tire kicks up a lot of rocks. One actually hit me in the face. I'm thinking its the design of the tread. I thought I might replace the front tire with something else and keep the Hansventure as a spare for the rear since it seems to work well back there. Any recommendations for a front replacement?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerWilco
    I was riding my MKIII today and I noticed the front tire kicks up a lot of rocks. One actually hit me in the face. I'm thinking its the design of the tread. I thought I might replace the front tire with something else and keep the Hansventure as a spare for the rear since it seems to work well back there. Any recommendations for a front replacement?
    Yeah, the hansventure works well on the rear in my rocky colorado conditions but wasn't really my favorite on the front. What are your priorities in a front tire? I personally would probably go for a WTB weirwolf in the front or a Kenda blue groove, but my priorities may be different from yours. neither of those is exceptionally smooth rolling.

Cheers,

Andy

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the reply Andy. I guess I'm looking for a tire with a good amount of grip and control. Oh and hopefully one that won't kick so many rocks back at me and the frame....

eBiker
    Thanks for the reply Andy. I guess I'm looking for a tire with a good amount of grip and control. Oh and hopefully one that won't kick so many rocks back at me and the frame....
    I run a WTB MutanoRaptor 2.4 up front which I am happy about for hardpack, sand, and the occasional Sierra trip. It doesn't hook up will in the mud tho.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I too noticed that the Hansventures kick up a lot of rocks. I ran them for a week before concluding that there'd be no paint left on the underside of the downtube if I ran them any longer. I think it depends on where you ride though. I live in central AZ and ride on trails that are covered with just the right sized rock to cause problems.

I switched to Panaracer Cinders. On my old bike, I had used some Panaracer Fire XCs. I liked the Fire XCs except for the fact that the side knobs of the rear tire would occassionally break off. The Cinders work better for me because the side knobs are beefier and hold up a lot better. I like the Cinders well enough that when it came time to replace them a few weeks back, I put another pair or Cinders on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    I too noticed that the Hansventures kick up a lot of rocks. I ran them for a week before concluding that there'd be no paint left on the underside of the downtube if I ran them any longer. I think it depends on where you ride though. I live in central AZ and ride on trails that are covered with just the right sized rock to cause problems.

I switched to Panaracer Cinders. On my old bike, I had used some Panaracer Fire XCs. I liked the Fire XCs except for the fact that the side knobs of the rear tire would occassionally break off. The Cinders work better for me because the side knobs are beefier and hold up a lot better. I like the Cinders well enough that when it came time to replace them a few weeks back, I put another pair or Cinders on.
    try the hutch, spiders

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I live in the Bay Area, CA. The trails I was riding had a good amount of loose gravel. It sounds like you may ride on the same kind of terrain, so maybe I'll give the cinders a shot.

Thanks for all the responses!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I live in the Bay Area, CA. The trails I was riding had a good amount of loose gravel. It sounds like you may ride on the same kind of terrain, so maybe I'll give the cinders a shot.
    I just remembered another problem with the Hansventure tires. As I stated earlier, I replaced the Hansventures after only one week of use. Prior to my first ride on the bike, I replaced the tubes that came with the bike with Slime tubes. I had hoped that these tubes would still be usuable after only one week of riding. I think one of them had some sort of problem with the valve stem and I ended up throwing it away. The other one though had roughly a dozen punctures after only one week of use! (I noticed this only after attempting to reuse the tube and finding out that it wouldn't hold air.)

By way of contrast, when I replaced the Cinders recently, I found that the front tire had allowed ten punctures (that I could see) and this was after over nine months of hard use. I ended up reusing the rear tube whose tire had received only about 4 months of almost daily use.

Maybe I was just unlucky with the Hansventures, but it seems to me that picking up a dozen punctures a week would soon render the tube useless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I picked up a cinder today and I'm going to put it on the front tonight. I'll update with my thoughts after a couple rides.

Thanks again everyone.

Industry Loudmouth
    The 06 MkIII's will use Cinders on the Expert & Team and Weirwolfs on the the Sport & Comp.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    The 06 MkIII's will use Cinders on the Expert & Team and Weirwolfs on the the Sport & Comp.

-ska todd
    ooh, 4 models, cool.