mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Questions about upgrades on an Iron horse warrior 4.0

I got my Iron horse warrior 4.0 from Randall Scott bikes and I like it alot but It has a few low end parts that concern me. I am planning a bike trip up the oregon coast and back and I don't want parts to break on me. Its a long trip and I want parts that I can rely on. I already took care of the fork problem and I'm upgrading the tires, but what about the other parts? What parts should I focus on to make sure I don't break down? One time I got up and walked from los angeles to San Diego and back in less than a month and my feet broke down....I was walking on blistered bloody feet and I don't want that to happen again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PacificNorthwest
    I got my Iron horse warrior 4.0 from Randall Scott bikes and I like it alot but It has a few low end parts that concern me. I am planning a bike trip up the oregon coast and back and I don't want parts to break on me. Its a long trip and I want parts that I can rely on. I already took care of the fork problem and I'm upgrading the tires, but what about the other parts? What parts should I focus on to make sure I don't break down?
    Bring along spare tubes and a couple of patch kits. It'd probably be a good idea to use sealant (Slime, or the like) in your tubes. Bring a small tire pump, preferably one with a gauge.

Bring along a spare derailleur hanger. Make sure you know how to install it ahead of time.

Check the chain for excess wear before you leave. If it's marginal, replace it. Bring a small bottle of chain lube with you so that you can lube your chain throughout the trip. It'd be a good idea to have several extra links of chain (such as that which is left over after sizing a chain) and a couple of master links too. That way you can fix a broken chain. If you do break a chain, purchase of a new chain from a nearby bike shop is advisable.

Prior to leaving, remove each pivot bolt (of the rear suspension) and put some blue threadlocker on each. Reinstall and torque appropriately. (I don't know the torque specs for your bike, sorry.) It'd probably be a good idea to use threadlocker on the bolts which secure the brake calipers to the frame too.

Make sure you have the necessary tools for making repairs yourself. A good multi-tool that includes a chain tool will probably suffice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Lots of good ideas, thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    Bring along spare tubes and a couple of patch kits. It'd probably be a good idea to use sealant (Slime, or the like) in your tubes. Bring a small tire pump, preferably one with a gauge.

Bring along a spare derailleur hanger. Make sure you know how to install it ahead of time.

Check the chain for excess wear before you leave. If it's marginal, replace it. Bring a small bottle of chain lube with you so that you can lube your chain throughout the trip. It'd be a good idea to have several extra links of chain (such as that which is left over after sizing a chain) and a couple of master links too. That way you can fix a broken chain. If you do break a chain, purchase of a new chain from a nearby bike shop is advisable.

Prior to leaving, remove each pivot bolt (of the rear suspension) and put some blue threadlocker on each. Reinstall and torque appropriately. (I don't know the torque specs for your bike, sorry.) It'd probably be a good idea to use threadlocker on the bolts which secure the brake calipers to the frame too.

Make sure you have the necessary tools for making repairs yourself. A good multi-tool that includes a chain tool will probably suffice.
    You have given me some good research to do.