mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Questions about 6 Point

I have a 2008 IH 6 point 4 that I was thinking about selling. I've put very few miles on it and bought a Mongoose Teocali shortly after and have been riding it mostly. However, lately I have been wondering if I should keep the IH. I like that I can grow in to the IH more. However, I don't want to spend a fortune buying new parts. The Teocali I have has a great spec to it and I would hate to "lose" all those goodies.

Anyways, I was hoping maybe someone with more mechanical expertise than me could tell me what could be swapped over without too much trouble. For example, the Teocali has a 145mm travel fork...is this going to be too much of a difference and change up the geometry on the IH? All things considered I really have plenty of growing I can do with the Teocali, but the IH seems to have more overall capability if that makes sense. I really like both bikes and would like to keep both, but that is not an option. Well, I guess it is but the wife may kill me in my sleep since I promised to sell one when I bought my last bike . I guess my other concern with the IH is if Dorel will be honoring the older bike warranties. I'm sort of assuming no which makes me want to stick it out on the 'goose.

link to Teocali Super spec
    http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/mtn/...-Teocali-Super

-Patrick

mtbr member
    Well, lets see. I would agree that the 6 point is more capable of a bike. But it's also aimed more at the FR/aggressive all mountain riding. So you kinda have to look at how you ride. is the 6 point a complete bike or just a frame? As far as switching parts from the Goose to the IH, a lot of things will swap over, but a lot of things won't. The IH has 150mm rear spacing, 83mm BB, the seatpost is 30.0mm. So right there those are all things that won't swap and can be pretty pricey. Also, doesn't the IH have a 1.5" head tube? Which means you have to at least get a reducer headset for the fork if you did want to run that fork. As far as warranty on the IH, well there isn't one. But I'd be pretty impressed if you broke a 6 point. That's a very stout frame... Hope that kinda answered your question?

mtbr member
    no 1.5" head tube, 1 1/8" zero stack.

mtbr member
    Ah, right on. Thanks... Well that works out for him, the fork and headset will swap right over then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What you can move over from the Mongoose to the IH is (I think):
    - fork and front wheel (needs to go together as 6point has a 20mm front axle). This will lower the front of the bike and make it more twitchier downhill and you might get pedal more strikes as the bottom bracket will also be lower. The change in height is both the fork and probably the smaller front tire (6point has a 2.5 front). It's an easy switch to try out and to see if you like it.
    - brakes
    - shifters and rear derailer (together, as SRAM and Shimano rears are not compatible)
    - seat
    - handlebar and stem
    - cassette and chain

What does not move over:
    - crank
    - front derailer
    - rear wheel
    - seat post

I'd leave them alone and find trails that are targeted to the specific bikes.

mtbr member
    Keep em both, your wife will get over it...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the responses, very helpful information. If I can find a way to keep both I likely will. It is going to be a hard sell though. For better or for worse right? It's all a matter of finding enough stuff laying around to pay off the balance of one bike and enough to pay for some new gutters on our house. If I can scratch that up with misc junk I have laying around than I may be okay. But if not I have to prepare for the worst.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Gents,

I also have a Teocali Super and a new 6Point frame (plus an Iron Horse Anika free ride bikes.

Hoping to build the 6point into a tough but relatively light all mountain bike as the Teocali is very much a trail bike (as I have it built up).

I'm in the same boat financially, need to sell some things to get the 6Point built. Many of the parts from my Aniki will get switched but I'm afraind it is going to weigh too much when built. making it tough and light is going to cost some bucks.

What did you end up doing with your bikes?

JP