mtbr member
    Jan 2004

QUESTION: bent rear triangle on 2008 7 point

So I bent my rear triangle on my 7 point causing the rear wheel and brake to be misaligned.
    My question is: Can a 2007 rear triangle be used with the 2008 frame-I know the 2008 frame was redesigned.
    And is the triangle the same for all sizes?
    And does any have a rear triangle for a 2008 med 7 point to sell?
    Thanks
    TL

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    any info would be appreciated.
    another question can 2005-2007 rear triangle be used on a 2008 front triangle?
    thanks
    tl

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm 99.9% sure the tris are not compatible between 2005-7 and 2008. The mounting hardware and rockers changed, and the IH catalog gives a shorter chainstay and wheelbase length for the 08s. Plus I think Enduro lists different bearing sizes for the the two models.

Rear tri is the same for all sizes, front is the one that changes.

I'm impressed you bent one, though! You must've really done something huge to do that. I can only imagine what it would take to break mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    norton,
    thanks for the reply and confirmation. I did read chainstay length was shortened for the 2008 7 point, but was not aware mounting hardware and bearings would be different.
    I almost bought a nos 2005 frame to try, but sourcing a 9" length rear shock seemed difficult and/or pricey.
    I didn't do anything impressive except fall on my face. I caught a rock ledge with my handlebars and went flying in the first 5 minutes of my ride going downhill. everything at the time seemed to be fine but near the end of my ride I thought I broke a spoke. I noticed my brake was rubbing severely and that is when I saw the dent and bend on my seatstay about 1-2" from the disc brake reinforcement. surmising that the fall must of caused a dent and on the ride down the metal gave and bent inward poss. with hard braking b/c that was the thing that happened prior to thinking I threw a spoke.
    I fell pretty hard b/c I think I may of busted a rib.
    anyway, thanks for the reply. will keep an eye out for a used 2008 frame.
    tl
    Last edited by chapel00; 11-27-2010 at 10:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chapel00
    I almost bought a nos 2005 frame to try, but sourcing a 9" length rear shock seemed difficult and/or pricey.
    let me know if you want to buy one. I have a 5th element 3 way 9"x2.75" (400 and 550lbs spring) that came with my IH Yakusa which I replaced with a longer air shock and probably won't be needing...