mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Quantum vs Quantum II vs Yakuza Chimpira

Hello guys and gals. I'm really new to riding and wanted to ask some questions. My local sports authority is selling the IH Quantum for $299.99, and the IH Quantum for $449.99. Online I have found the IH Yakuza Chimpira for $399.99. Can you please tell me which one of these bikes is the best bang for the buck? I need a quick reply because I can't get my hands on the prices for the Quantum and Quantum II after tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    What kind of riding are you looking to do?

The Quantum is essentially a Maverick, built to spec for Sports Authority. You'll have to do a component-by-component comparison vs. bikes in the Maverick line to see where it falls.

The Chimpira is directed at the dirt jump crowd. I don't know if you're aware it's a singlespeed. It's not directly comparable to the Quantum / Maverick.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What does singlespeed mean and is that better or worse than the Quantum? Whats better the Quantum II or the Quantum I? I thought the Chimpira was 8x3 = 24speed.

My riding is going to be mostly city with the occasional rough trail.

JSUT HAVING A GOOD TIME!
    Jun 2007
    Check componets i have a quantum II 19.5 inch i love it just went to clipless plan on upgrading rims to some mavics and a new bottom bracket to a Truvativ Husselfelt...........
    my wife did suprise me with a 21.5 and the frame was actually bent so ride it and make sure the frame isnt bent how youll know if it is is look at the back tire and make sure its not crooked and also test the back tire and make sure it practilly falls out of the drop outs when you take it off cause if it doesn't jsut come right off the drop out could be bad or the frame is bent so MAKE SURE, but anyway i love mine its sweet
    Friends dont let friends ride JUNK!

Quote Originally Posted by faksnima
    What does singlespeed mean and is that better or worse than the Quantum? Whats better the Quantum II or the Quantum I? I thought the Chimpira was 8x3 = 24speed.

My riding is going to be mostly city with the occasional rough trail.
    I don't see any specs for either of your Quantum bikes on line. Perhaps you can share a link? The Quantum II will undoubtedly have the better spec.

The Chimp on the IH website is a single ring / single cog setup.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Check lower post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quantum
    - Aluminum, zero-stack headtube, oversize downtube, deluxe dropout design, monostay rear
    - Answer SIX suspension fork, 100mm travel
    - Hayes MX-2 Mechanical Disc brake
    - Truvativ X Flow, 42/34/24T
    - Shimano Derailleurs- Acera 8 speed rear/C050 Dual pull front
    - 24 speed index shifting
    - Shimano EF-35 EZ- Fire shifter and brake lever combination
    - Alloy Handlebar and Alloy Stem
    - IRC Mythos XC tires, 26x2.10
    - WTB Speed V saddle
    - Alloy micro-adjust seat post- 30.8mm

So Quantum I ($299.99) vs Chimpira ($399.99), which would you go for?

By the way I'm a super lamen...I don't understand most of the terms you all are used to throwing around as common speak .

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quantum
    - Aluminum, zero-stack headtube, oversize downtube, deluxe dropout design, monostay rear
    - Answer SIX suspension fork, 100mm travel
    - Hayes MX-2 Mechanical Disc brake
    - Truvativ X Flow, 42/34/24T
    - Shimano Derailleurs- Acera 8 speed rear/C050 Dual pull front
    - 24 speed index shifting
    - Shimano EF-35 EZ- Fire shifter and brake lever combination
    - Alloy Handlebar and Alloy Stem
    - IRC Mythos XC tires, 26x2.10
    - WTB Speed V saddle
    - Alloy micro-adjust seat post- 30.8mm

So Quantum I ($299.99) vs Chimpira ($399.99), which would you go for?

By the way I'm a super lamen...I don't understand most of the terms you all are used to throwing around as common speak .
    i am rocking a 17.5 inch quantum and for the price it is really nice. i replaced the grips with some lock on ones and then put on some crank brothers mallet c pedals and have plans or replacing alot more. but mine came with sram x-4 shifters and rear deraliuer, then it had a marzocchi from mz comp fork. my next upgrades are gonna be the fork and headset. but for the price it is a good basis to start with.

and i compared specs between the maverick, warrior and then the quantum bikes and the quantum seems to fall right in between them both but matches the closest to the maverick 5.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the information. I ended up buying the Quantum II for $325 + tax. I have another question...the gentleman there said the 17.5" frame was too tall...however I tried two other 16" and both felt the exact same (the frame hits the nether regions when i stradle it)...Should this be of concern to me?

Thanks for the information. I ended up buying the Quantum II for $325 + tax. I have another question...the gentleman there said the 17.5" frame was too tall...however I tried two other 16" and both felt the exact same (the frame hits the nether regions when i stradle it)...Should this be of concern to me?
    How tall are you? What is your inseam?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

i originally got a 19.5 but ended up taking it back and getting the 17.5 as the 19.5 hit me right on the nether regions and i am a bit more comfortable with that extra amount of space. and when i got the 19.5 the guy said i should actually get a bigger size i more or less looked at him like he was nuts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well...unfortunately after reading what the net has to offer I had to return the Quantum II because it was just too big. I need a 15" frame...17.5 was much too big.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i just bought an iron horse warrior 1.3 from ***** for around 300 so far so good except the pedals suck and there is a loose ball bearing in em but i want to replace them. I was torn btw buying a quantum 2 and the warrior since the quantum has the maverick frame and the warrior has the warrior 3.0 frame both had the same components except the fork on the warrior 1.3 is a rock shox dart 1. I decided on the warrior bc it suppose to have a better frame than the maverick and the warrior was cheaper. Originally i was really planing on getting the quantum but i couldn't pass up the deal they had @ ***** on the warrior. Other than that i don't see any diff btw the two bikes other than frame rigidity and fork.