Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post Your IH Hardtail Photos!

26K views 53 replies 30 participants last post by  morando6784 
#1 ·
Well I've been looking at the other IH photo thread, but I didn't see any photos of Hardtails so I just made this thread. I doubt anybody will even read this, but at least /i tried. I would start with my bike, but since I decided to post this now (my stupidity) its too dark out to get a reasonable picture. Post your photos with a short, sweet, and to the point description of upgrades or parts you have found to be really good stock. I'll get a picture of mine up A.S.A.P.

Andy

#3 ·
Yeah. Iron Horse only makes 1 hardtail, and most are in past years. So I dont expect to get many posts, but thats alright. And I really want a full suspension bike, but I'm just gettin into the sport so I will just hold off for now, until i see like a screaming deal. And any reccomendations on a nice Iron Horse full suspension bike on a budget?

Andy

#9 ·
2007Quantum2 said:
Finally took pictures in my "studio" a.k.a the garage door with old sheets clamped to the garage door with vice grips. now that, my friend, is ******* ingenuity.
you want to get rid of that kickstand ASAP. a giant steel rod sticking out of the bottom of your bike is not what something you want to have when riding over rocks.

#10 ·
I would remove the kickstand, but since i live in florida, the trails are crap, and i have no way of getting to an area with good, rocky trails so i dont have to worry about it. Plus i put pieces of an old innertube between the frame and the stand, so its not going to gouge the frame. And thanks for replying to this post, lol

#12 ·
There sure is more out there... Sports authority special... I don't ride it much any more since I got my full suspension. Its more my loaner bike/backup bike/XC bike which I don't do much XC. My next step is to rebuilt it with new nice parts rather than the bottom of the line department store parts.

#14 ·
yeah i also own a quantum 2 which i upgraded till the only things left were the frame and fork
List of some of the changes:
Odi ruffian lockon grips
Xt Front and back Derailleurs
Easton ea70 monkeybars
WTB Rocket Race Saddle
WTB Duel duty Rims Laced To XT hubs
And a few other changed i cant remember

Sadly this bike has been retired for active duty and now serves as a loan out bike

Attachments

#16 ·
2007Quantum2 said:
Nice ride:thumbsup:

What brakes do you have on it?
I've swapped them a few times so not sure but I think in the picture it has the stock hayes mx4 but I've gone to bb7s and back truthfully i was very shocked with the performance of the MX4's once dialed in.

#18 ·
Here it is! my maverick 5.5! so far new IRC MythosXCII tires and Sette Duo riser bars are the only upgrades.

And yes I don't have the front derailer thing...It was broken when I got it (used) and I never replaced it...middle ring is good for all around riding! Love this bike!

#19 ·
Nice ride! Good to see one with some mud on it. You can get a front derailleur from Jenson USA for cheap. I think there is one for $6, on sale from $25 or so. Thats the best site to use. Since you will have to eventually anyways, I reccommend getting rotors like mine, which are Hayes V6's.

Happy riding,
Andy

#23 ·
Old School IH

I'm sure this is a far-distant memory for most - 1997 IronHorse MT400 with the old "A-Frame" geometry (See attached pic). The picture is from last Friday morning - I snuck in a quick ride before the big snow came (~20 more inches).

I bought this in summer 1998 when I graduated from college. I did some pretty intense riding in college on a rigid Scott bike, but the fork got bent when a friend rode it into a log. This was my big "upgrade" to front suspension. It didn't see a whole lot of action until 10 years later, when I moved to within 2 miles of a mtn bike trail system. So it's still in good shape - tires, seat, and brake pads are the only things I've changed. I may have out grown the aggressive XC body positioning, which makes technical/rocky downhill a bit sketchy, so I'm now considering moving to a 29er HT.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.