Who put that rut there?
    Aug 2004

Paging Ska Todd!!! Emergency!!

Ska Todd,

I was just on a little retreat here in Big Bear, CA and doing some great trails and when going through some single track here with no real drops, (nothing more than 1 or 2 foot, the frame broke clean right on the weld where the rear shock mounts. I have had my Hollowpoint Expert '03 for a little bit over one year now and have never had a problem with it. This just kinda happened out of the blue on me. Is there a way I can gt my frame replaced? How do I go about fixing this because I love my bike so much and I don't want to be without it for too long. Please help a fellow rider get his baby back to proper health. I will post pictures of it tomorrow when I get back down the mountain.
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

Riding a Rig.
    just FYI, your probably not going to hear anything on here until he gets back from interbike. Try calling them and getting ahold of someone.

Who put that rut there?
    Aug 2004

Broken bike pics...

Here are a few pics of what happened to my little friend...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Call up IH directly.

Industry Loudmouth
    I have been Interbiking for the past week.

Drop Bruce at 800-645-5477 ext 209 and he'll get stuff rolling for you.

-ska todd

Who put that rut there?
    Aug 2004

I just did...

Thanks for the direction Todd. I just emailed Bruce the pics and hopefully he will get back to me soon so I can get a working bike again. Typically how long will this process take to get a new frame?

Any possibilities of purchasing one of those 7POINT's you demo'd at Interbike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Don't be too optimistic. IronHorse has had my Hollowpoint frame since Aug 11, 2004 and I have yet to receive a replacement. I've been given the excuse that they are out of large frames and they have no clue when new ones will show up. I had suggested that they buy one back from a retailer, strip it down and send me the frame. They said they couldn't do that either. In the mean time, I've had to borrow bikes from buddies. It is very frustrating and I am not a happy camper.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    I have been Interbiking for the past week.

Drop Bruce at 800-645-5477 ext 209 and he'll get stuff rolling for you.

-ska todd
    It seems there's a batch of '03's that are breaking at the same area. Any way to find out the serial number range of the failing units? I'm about to pack up my early '03 for 8 days of riding in Moab, and I'd hate to have vacation cut short by a frame failure. I really want to take the Hollowpoint because it seems to be ideally suited to the riding out there, but I have another bike I could take if I should be worried. I'm not exactly a big brute, so maybe that'll play in my favor. Your thoughts?

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Who put that rut there?
    Aug 2004

Let's just hope they are quicker now...

Interbike is over and they should have quite a few more frames to replace it. Maybe they have a demo from the show that I could buy??

None shall pass.....

Don't hold your collective breaths...

Just got off the phone with Sean, the new IH Cust service rep handling warranties. This problem was a little more widespread than anyone anticipated and yes, they are out of frames. I just had my 03 HP expert break in the same spot and when I called, I was told there are no frames and that it would probably be at least a month before they got any in (FWIW, I read this as "a long time" vice a month). It seems there are several out there who have been waiting a long time for replacement frames, so I now worry if there are going to be enough frames to distribute to those who need them.

I have had nothing but great things to say about IH in the past. Always there for me in a pinch. Please guys, make sure the right attention is being put on this problem I see a storm a brewin... I would like my bike back sooner. I have an epic ride scheduled and I don't think the frame will hold out with duct tape

I will post as IH works the problem. I am confident that they will do everything in their power to make it right.
    Last edited by sircrashalot; 10-27-2004 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added info
    Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time... You silly English KI-NIGGIT

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by sircrashalot
    I have an epic ride scheduled and I don't think the frame will hold out with duct tape
    Yes, we are having issues securing more frames from Taiwan at this time. Between warranties and sales we ate thru our supply quicker than expected. Raw materials sourcing issues are delaying re-supply of these frames at this time.

For those who are itching to get final rides in before the snow starts falling, we can offer hardtail loaner frames for right now. While not 4.5" of dw-link goodness, it should help with the withdrawl cravings.

We certainly apologize for these problems. Please call us if you have any concerns or need to take us up on this offer.

-ska todd

Are you gonna eat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    Yes, we are having issues securing more frames from Taiwan at this time. Between warranties and sales we ate thru our supply quicker than expected. Raw materials sourcing issues are delaying re-supply of these frames at this time.

For those who are itching to get final rides in before the snow starts falling, we can offer hardtail loaner frames for right now. While not 4.5" of dw-link goodness, it should help with the withdrawl cravings.

We certainly apologize for these problems. Please call us if you have any concerns or need to take us up on this offer.

-ska todd
    Do you know if there's a similar problem with the '04s at all ? I'm probably picking up an end of line one in the next month or so and would like to know, being a Clyde n all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Man, Now I am worried too

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    It seems there's a batch of '03's that are breaking at the same area. Any way to find out the serial number range of the failing units? I'm about to pack up my early '03 for 8 days of riding in Moab, and I'd hate to have vacation cut short by a frame failure. I really want to take the Hollowpoint because it seems to be ideally suited to the riding out there, but I have another bike I could take if I should be worried. I'm not exactly a big brute, so maybe that'll play in my favor. Your thoughts?

Kathy

This use to not bother me, but when I saw that the bike is EXACTLY the same one I have, I am getting a little paranoid. I am wondering just like Kathy if there is a certain manufacturing period where these frames were having problems. I weight 152 lbs. don't do anything crazy w/ my Hollowpoint. But, I do alot of 3 to 4 hour rides. I sure as heck would not want that to happen to me on one of my epic rides.

mtbjk

on my third frame

Talked to Will and Sean this past week and Will is shipping out my replacement frame this week. I ride a small and the first 2 frames that cracked were of the same batch. I am now on the third frame out of that same batch and have been riding it for about a month and a half now without any problems. when IH sent out the 3rd frame I was told that I would receive an 04 as soon as they became avaliable. I made a call this past week and Will said that he had a frame that needed to be stripped and that it would go out this week and I should have it by middle of next week. The frame I will be receiving im told is a 04 sport blue frame. Not the color of choice but a better frame. I have not heard of any problems with the 04 frames. All the problems that IH had were of the last batch of frames that were produced on the 03's. and anyway's if there is a problem we all no that IH will take care of the problem. I have been totally pleased with the customer service and have never had any problem's getting hold of anyone there. Also the turn around time on the first 2 frames was 3 weeks frome me dismanteling to the rebuild. As far as I'm concerned there service is top notch. Just go read some of the other manu forums and here some of the horror stories on frame replacement. It's just unreal that large companies can take up to six month's to warranty out a frame. Thumb's up to IH RIDE ON
    Jan R Tampa FL

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoseki
    Do you know if there's a similar problem with the '04s at all ? I'm probably picking up an end of line one in the next month or so and would like to know, being a Clyde n all.
    I wouldn't stress too much, guys. I've been riding mine since March or April of '03, and while I'm not a huckster, I also don't baby it. I weigh in at 200 but weighed a bit more when I got it.

If mine does ever break, Iron Horse has proved nothing but honorable and while I wouldn't derive any pleasure out of the lost time, I have nothing but the highest expectations that I won't be left in the lurch. The offer for the loaner hardtail is unheard of, a true mark of committment to the customer.

Read some of the warranty experiences with other manufacturers and you'll appreciate what Iron Horse offers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You weren't kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    I wouldn't stress too much, guys. I've been riding mine since March or April of '03, and while I'm not a huckster, I also don't baby it. I weigh in at 200 but weighed a bit more when I got it.

If mine does ever break, Iron Horse has proved nothing but honorable and while I wouldn't derive any pleasure out of the lost time, I have nothing but the highest expectations that I won't be left in the lurch. The offer for the loaner hardtail is unheard of, a true mark of committment to the customer.

Read some of the warranty experiences with other manufacturers and you'll appreciate what Iron Horse offers.
    I did what you suggested since I don't venture too much into other manufacturers unless I am interested in their bikes. Here is one example of waht you were talking about:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...3&page=2&pp=50

As always, Speedub, you are the voice of reason in here. I'm not so worried anymore. Thanks! And, it makes me feel better about Iron Horse...And, like everyone else said, their customer service is top notch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    After finding out on this forum that Bruce up and left, I got in touch with Will. Apparently, Bruce did not pass on my claim to his replacement. Will got a replacement frame out the next day. Now I am built up again and ready to ride. Now if the rain would stop... Thanks Will!

None shall pass.....

Good job! Fast response

Sean called me back within minutes of our first conversation. He is working something out for me. I think I should be in business. Once again, your CS dept is rockin.

To clear up any misperceptions of my last post, I was not bagging IH, just letting people know of the problem. I was completely unaware that this problem existed with the frames breaking until it happened to me four days ago.

I will stand by my trusty steed and nurse it back to health.
    Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time... You silly English KI-NIGGIT

Who put that rut there?
    Aug 2004

An update to the emergency!

I've got to say, I will never buy another bike from any other manufacturer. IH completely took care of me. I took my bike to the place where I bought it (Supergo) and they made a few calls for me. First trip, I brought in just the frame and was told that they would be replacing just the main frame triangle that was broken. I then received a call about a week and a half later saying that IH received my frame and wanted all of my parts back since they were not going to be able to replace the main frame. They were going to send me something "comparable" to what I had. This concerned me as I was unaware of what their definition of comparable would be. (everyone's is different) Lo and behold, two weeks after that, I got a call from Supergo saying they were putting the finishing touches on my BRAND NEW 2004 IH Hollowpoint Expert! The spec parts are a big upgrade to the '03 and the rear triangle is a bit different but beefier and ready to ride. I added back in my own parts that I put on and now this bike is rockin'.

Haven't taken it out yet...Thanksgiving and now I am SICK...but I look forward to many fun future rides on my new pony. If anyone is reading this from IH or any loyal IH users or even those thinking of getting an IH...this is the best manufacturer out there. Bar none, they take care of their customers and make sure you are happy with your purchase. I recommend my HP to anyone thinking of buying one and since they make the MKIII's now...awww screw it. Just buy an Iron Horse and go ride it. Bike company of the millenium.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    That's great -- I really mean that. I just this morning read a very recent Hollowpoint Expert review here on MTBR, where the reviewer described the bike as "...a poor man's Blur."

Hrmph... more like, "...a smart man's Blur", if you ask me.

I continue to be impressed and have high hopes for the MkIII and Azure.