mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Opinions on this frame.....

Im looking to do a budget build on another bike just so I have a loaner/spare. Im going to be replacing the wheelset and a few other things on my Giant over the winter so Ill be geting a decent parts bin together in the coming months. I found a gold 2005 Iron Horse Warrior limited with a Rock Shox Bar rear shock and a Marzocchi 160mm AM front fork for $300. The frame is a 19 and has a bunch of little scratches and such. Any negatives to this frame? It seems like a good deal for the price but my knowledge of IH's is zilch.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    Im looking to do a budget build on another bike just so I have a loaner/spare. Im going to be replacing the wheelset and a few other things on my Giant over the winter so Ill be geting a decent parts bin together in the coming months. I found a gold 2005 Iron Horse Warrior limited with a Rock Shox Bar rear shock and a Marzocchi 160mm AM front fork for $300. The frame is a 19 and has a bunch of little scratches and such. Any negatives to this frame? It seems like a good deal for the price but my knowledge of IH's is zilch.
    I know about the suspension to be decent for the price, if it's in good condition. Check out the bike and see the general condition.

FYI, I bought a like new 2006 Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki FR 150mm Marchozzi fork for $650 last year. Msrp was over $1 500. I guess I made a good deal, although I had to add a chain guide ($50), replace the rear hub because the stock freehub body was toasted and replacement part was out of sight ($60), a new 1.5 bearing crown for the headset ($5), new loose ball bearings for the stock pedals ($5). Then I since snap the hanger ($15) and got a nice 2011 SRAM X-7 rd ($50). Since April 2010.

It's really up to you to see if you get a good deal or not. Check the whole frame for cracks or bent drop-outs or parts, for the BB to run smooth by turning the crank without the chain slowly by hand, check for loose into the hubs, headset, fork stanchions, shock mounting hardware, etc... Worst case scenario, take the bike to your lbs for a full check up to be sure everything's fine.

Pics ?

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

banned
    Nov 2011
    I will say this, I own three IH steeds and I love them. They take such a beating and ask for more per say....LOL.

I have the '07 IH Yakuza K, '06 IH Aniki & either '05 or '06 IH Gashira and they have taken some serious beatings. We (my son & I) jump, huck off big drops, DH & urban FR on these steeds and I do not have any complaints.

I know I here complaints that they are a bit heavier, but that's because of their beefy builds. They have saved my life many times where i have seen a few brand names crack, break, or tear apart doing what we do.

The Warrior is just a class down from the IH Aniki, and I have a few friends that ride them and love them.

I was just thinking, maybe I should start a IH club here locally...LOL.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai-CP View Post
    I will say this, I own three IH steeds and I love them. They take such a beating and ask for more per say....LOL.

I have the '07 IH Yakuza K, '06 IH Aniki & either '05 or '06 IH Gashira and they have taken some serious beatings. We (my son & I) jump, huck off big drops, DH & urban FR on these steeds and I do not have any complaints.

I know I here complaints that they are a bit heavier, but that's because of their beefy builds. They have saved my life many times where i have seen a few brand names crack, break, or tear apart doing what we do.

The Warrior is just a class down from the IH Aniki, and I have a few friends that ride them and love them.

I was just thinking, maybe I should start a IH club here locally...LOL.
    What shock are you running on your Aniki ? And did you had any issues with the rear stock freehub body ?

Thanks,

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    What shock are you running on your Aniki ? And did you had any issues with the rear stock freehub body ?

Thanks,

David
    I have a Manitou Nixon fork and a Fox Vanilla RS, both giving me all around 6" travel. Perfect for this steed. Nope, never had any issues with either hubs. They have taken all kinds of abuse with hucking up to 15' ledge drops to the DJ's, to all forms of urban FR.

To me, it is an excellent bike by all means and I am still stoked with having it among my fleet of IH's.

Huckin' trails
    I have a Manitou Nixon fork and a Fox Vanilla RS, both giving me all around 6" travel. Perfect for this steed. Nope, never had any issues with either hubs. They have taken all kinds of abuse with hucking up to 15' ledge drops to the DJ's, to all forms of urban FR.

To me, it is an excellent bike by all means and I am still stoked with having it among my fleet of IH's.
    Damn, I bought one in like new condition in April 2010 with a factory upgraded Marzocchi Drop Off III 150mm fork and the stock X-Fusion Glyde RL. Since that I've added a chain guide, a new hanger and a 2011 X-7 rd, and had to get a new rear hub and get the wheel re-laced.

I really love the bike, but I kind of find it heavy and not much adapted to my riding. When I bought it, I was planning on doing FR, but I then realized I have little or no time to get out to any lift assist trails, so I had to climb up with it on my local trails. It now weight in at 40.25 pounds.

I heard that changing the shock to something better like a Van or anything with better adjustments could really pimp up the bike, but I don't know if it's worth it and will make the bike a lot more climb friendly or if I get a nice AM frame and swap out parts. I really love the bike, I've put a lot of hours in it (it was my first real MTB), but so far I think I have about only 50 hours of saddle time on it and about 400 km. Not much for a main MTB.

So should I get a nice shock or would I be better getting a new AM frame ? I could get a new setup for about $800 and then sell the frame, or maybe just get myself a good shock for $200 (probably used) ?

David
    Last edited by David C; 11-15-2011 at 08:59 PM.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Mine only weighs in at 35 pounds and some small change. A round about good weight for trail riding, but excellent for freeriding & moderate DH. Not a bike for heavy DH riding though, as it is really more FR to aggressive AM bike than anything else. I did cut weight back with the fork and running a single chain-ring among other smaller more moot items.

Being your scenario, I would fly with a more AM to a slope-style discipline bike. If you are going to get into gravity feed riding, freeriding, or DJ's, then this is the ticket for ya bro. She is an awesome steed for these disciplines. As long as you do not got too big with the drops and aggressive DH you'll be good with that steed.

banned
    Nov 2011
    My son hucking it off a 12' drop w/ 10' gap...

Some DJ's....

Huckin' trails
    I'm definitely more into AM/Trail then FR. I would love FR, but I have so small occasions to get onto FR trails that I think I would be better off a AM geometry bike.

How much you think I could sell a mint condition 2006 Aniki with super clean and well maintained components/frame ? Is there still any market for those ? What about selling the frame and rear shock only ? And swap everything else on a nice AM frame ?

Or maybe just hang out the frame onto my living-room's wall

David

Huckin' trails
    Here's the most recent pic I got. Plus one from only a few weeks after I got it.

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Opinions on this frame.....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1321414407.047193.jpg  

Opinions on this frame.....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1321414475.814969.jpg  

banned
    Nov 2011
    I'm definitely more into AM/Trail then FR. I would love FR, but I have so small occasions to get onto FR trails that I think I would be better off a AM geometry bike.

How much you think I could sell a mint condition 2006 Aniki with super clean and well maintained components/frame ? Is there still any market for those ? What about selling the frame and rear shock only ? And swap everything else on a nice AM frame ?

Or maybe just hang out the frame onto my living-room's wall

David
    Yep, that is a latter half '06 Aniki. The end of that year they started to curve the top tube. Mine has the straight top tube which I actually prefer. Well bro, these are popular bikes I have seen at places like Diablo FR Park, so the market is still open for them, but maybe not as much as a few years ago.

You must have paid at least $1200 for it, so I would not know why you could not pull in at least a near grand. Personally, I would sell the frame and the RS and keep the fork and other components.

BTW, what size frame is this? I may be interested if the frame size is right, but like I said, I prefer the straight top tube, so thus the reason I say..."I may be interested."...LOL

Huckin' trails
    Yep, that is a latter half '06 Aniki. The end of that year they started to curve the top tube. Mine has the straight top tube which I actually prefer. Well bro, these are popular bikes I have seen at places like Diablo FR Park, so the market is still open for them, but maybe not as much as a few years ago.

You must have paid at least $1200 for it, so I would not know why you could not pull in at least a near grand. Personally, I would sell the frame and the RS and keep the fork and other components.

BTW, what size frame is this? I may be interested if the frame size is right, but like I said, I prefer the straight top tube, so thus the reason I say..."I may be interested."...LOL
    Thanks for the insight. The frame is a 17", medium size I believe.

I can get a welder to put a straight top tube if you want

But personally, I'd kinda like the curved top tube. Sort of a more stylish, less dumb geo. But that's me.

I really love the bike as I said, so that's why I'm a bit shy to the idea of parting it out. It's pretty much the most valuable thing I own right now, beside my MacBook Pro and iPhone.

I've put many incomes into that ride and I never crashed it, took real good care of it. Kinda like your first new car

I've seen on you pics you had an air shock ?

I would be looking currently at either a RM Slayer or GT Sanction or Distortion frames. But I still don't have the guts to let it go. It's stupid, I know, but I can't help myself.

David

banned
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the insight. The frame is a 17", medium size I believe.

I can get a welder to put a straight top tube if you want

But personally, I'd kinda like the curved top tube. Sort of a more stylish, less dumb geo. But that's me.

I really love the bike as I said, so that's why I'm a bit shy to the idea of parting it out. It's pretty much the most valuable thing I own right now, beside my MacBook Pro and iPhone.

I've put many incomes into that ride and I never crashed it, took real good care of it. Kinda like your first new car

I've seen on you pics you had an air shock ?

I would be looking currently at either a RM Slayer or GT Sanction or Distortion frames. But I still don't have the guts to let it go. It's stupid, I know, but I can't help myself.

David
    It's not stupid by any means. You love this steed, and with those feelings toward your steed, I would just keep the bike or frame and hold on to it for another day...LOL. Not sure how old you are, so if you are younger, you have plenty time to get into some gravity feed riding some day. I am 43, with a heart & soul of a 25 year old per say, so I am not particularly young in this sport. But please, do not weld another top tube, as once you change the geometry, that frame would be screwed. Its geometry lays upon the curved top tube....LOL.

That was the correct frame size. I just know that the style top tube of mine (straight) is just more stronger than the curved ones, though the curved ones are a bit more sexy & sleeker than mine....LOL.

I will say that the Slayer is a good bike for the bang, but not too familiar with the GT models though I know one guy who rides the Sanction, and he is pleased with it as far I can see.

Well bro, I would recommend holding onto the frame at least for backup and possible future endeavors/shredding. I love the bike, but my Yakuza K will always be my top dog in my fleet. I have 24's on there now for my son, as he just turned 13 years old this past September, so he still is shredding on 24's, but I still have the 26'ers for them on stand by. One frame that will openly except either 24's or 26'ers and still ride strong.

On-On!

Huckin' trails
    It's not stupid by any means. You love this steed, and with those feelings toward your steed, I would just keep the bike or frame and hold on to it for another day...LOL. Not sure how old you are, so if you are younger, you have plenty time to get into some gravity feed riding some day. I am 43, with a heart & soul of a 25 year old per say, so I am not particularly young in this sport. But please, do not weld another top tube, as once you change the geometry, that frame would be screwed. Its geometry lays upon the curved top tube....LOL.

That was the correct frame size. I just know that the style top tube of mine (straight) is just more stronger than the curved ones, though the curved ones are a bit more sexy & sleeker than mine....LOL.

I will say that the Slayer is a good bike for the bang, but not too familiar with the GT models though I know one guy who rides the Sanction, and he is pleased with it as far I can see.

Well bro, I would recommend holding onto the frame at least for backup and possible future endeavors/shredding. I love the bike, but my Yakuza K will always be my top dog in my fleet. I have 24's on there now for my son, as he just turned 13 years old this past September, so he still is shredding on 24's, but I still have the 26'ers for them on stand by. One frame that will openly except either 24's or 26'ers and still ride strong.

On-On!
    I've stop to an Rocky Mountain lbs dealer today to check out some bikes. They had the RM Element 50 and Altitude 70 on the floor, both 2011 model and while the Altitude was a tad big for me to try it, the Element was a small-small frame and felt very sweet and I really liked the geo and position. The Element is more of a trail-XC bike with around 120mm while the Altitude is a nice trail reaper at 140mm. They didn't had the Slayer which is a AM beast at 160mm, but I think I really got hooked on RM's bikes... Just the price tag being a bit touchy on budget side... They had the Element on sale at a bit less then $2 000 (was around $2 500 I think), but the frame was a bit small for me (15"). The Altitude was a big frame, 19", and on similar sale at about $3 000. Both complete build. Since they didn't had any Slayer, I couldn't get the real deal, but the Altitude is pretty close.

Element was around 24 pounds and Altitude around 28. Big difference with my 40.25 pig

So I still don't know about getting a complete new bike or just the frame... I guess it will depend on how much I sell either my frame or complete bike. I guess if the price's good, we could work something out

Btw I'm 19 and 110 pounds. So a light bike really make a difference, but I still can rock my Yakuza better then anyone around my town

David

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by mike taylor View Post
    I am very interested to see some more pictures.i never seen before such types of super bike great i like all the pictures.
    Did you said moar pictures ?

Oldest pics first, new ones last.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Opinions on this frame.....-dsc_4055.jpg  

Opinions on this frame.....-dsc_4059.jpg  

Opinions on this frame.....-dsc_4074.jpg  

Opinions on this frame.....-dsc_4075.jpg  

Opinions on this frame.....-dscn2384.jpg  

Opinions on this frame.....-dscn2727.jpg  

Opinions on this frame.....-dscn3452_web.jpg  

Opinions on this frame.....-dscn3457_web.jpg  

Opinions on this frame.....-dscn3461_web.jpg  

Opinions on this frame.....-img_0095.jpg  

banned
    Nov 2011
    I will throw in this one (this was two years ago)...

It now has a chainguide among a few other changes.

Huckin' trails
    I finally decided I'm gonna get a 2011 Slayer frame and swap parts.

So is there anyone interested into a nice 2006 Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki frameset ?

Size is medium (17"), super nice condition, with a X-Fusion Glyde RL rear shock, 1.5 headset with a 1 1/18 reducer for 1 1/8 steerer, with BB, derailleur hanger, seat tube clamp, maybe seat post and front derailleur too, will accept a 150mm fork, 8" disc, etc.

Asking $1 000 (USD or CAD) or best offer for frameset.

Or full bike $2 000 (USD or CAD) or best offer.

Will ship to North America for the exact S&H cost.
    Local pick-up and test ride for free.

PM me.

David

Dropshot Champ!
    That is way too much of an asking price. WAY too much.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    That is way too much of an asking price. WAY too much.
    ^^^^^ ++++1

I definitely have to agree here as well. These bikes in 2006 fully built, started at around $1200 to $1400 (depending on build). I would say that this frame alone with just the rear shock (X-Fusion) as posted, may, and I say maybeeeee, may fetch $500 at extreme tops. I am thinking more like $300 max.

I stated previously around $800 to maybe a grand, but this was for the whole bike and all, not just the frame.

Anything over $1200 for this bike and its components is just waaaaaaaaay too much for this steed.

Huckin' trails
    That's why I said "or best offer".

I can ask the price I want. If someone is willing to make me an offer, at least he knows how much I want for max.

Anyone interested ?

Mobile upload by |) /\ \/ | |)

Dropshot Champ!
    true, but an accurate price would be a lowball offer, since you've priced so high.

I wouldn't pay 750 for the whole thing, but good luck! Try ebay or craigslist!

banned
    Nov 2011
    That's why I said "or best offer".

I can ask the price I want. If someone is willing to make me an offer, at least he knows how much I want for max.

Anyone interested ?

Mobile upload by |) /\ \/ | |)
    All good bro! Good luck, though ya should save the coin an just just build on this steed, but this is your steed, not ours. Ride on bro!

On-On!