Thread: One sick pony?

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel

One sick pony?

As I was dismembering, I mean disassembling, my '03 Hollowpoint Saturday to pack it for vacation, I noticed two things that concern me. First, the paint is blistered around the waterbottle riv-nuts. Is this corrosion serious, or should I just scrape it off, touch it up with hobby paint and forget about it?

Second, I needed to remove the rear triangle to make the bike fit in the compact travel case I use. I was able to reach through the crank and get an allen wrench on the lower pivot bolt of the DW Link dogbone to disconnect it. With the rear triangle removed, I moved the dogbone up and down as I was cleaning things and noticed it has some stiff spots. I didn't have time to figure out how to pull the newfangled XTR crank that I haven't played with yet, so I didn't pull that bearing apart. I was able to put an allen wrench on the non-drive side and rotate it 90-180 degrees. It's working smoother, but when I get back from vacation, I think it may be time for a new bearing. Or, is it just a little too tight?

Todd, any comments? I know I have Bruce's extension written down somewhere, but I can't find the phone number for IH. The "contacts" listing on the web page has e-mail addresses and a fax number, but no phone.

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    As I was dismembering, I mean disassembling, my '03 Hollowpoint Saturday to pack it for vacation, I noticed two things that concern me. First, the paint is blistered around the waterbottle riv-nuts. Is this corrosion serious, or should I just scrape it off, touch it up with hobby paint and forget about it?
    Hmm...interesting. It's not rust since the HP is an aluminum frame. I have seen similar corrosion on bikes when I used to work in an IBD. This was usually the result of 1) sweat, 2) leaking energy drink, 3) living near the ocean.

Second, I needed to remove the rear triangle to make the bike fit in the compact travel case I use. I was able to reach through the crank and get an allen wrench on the lower pivot bolt of the DW Link dogbone to disconnect it. With the rear triangle removed, I moved the dogbone up and down as I was cleaning things and noticed it has some stiff spots. I didn't have time to figure out how to pull the newfangled XTR crank that I haven't played with yet, so I didn't pull that bearing apart. I was able to put an allen wrench on the non-drive side and rotate it 90-180 degrees. It's working smoother, but when I get back from vacation, I think it may be time for a new bearing. Or, is it just a little too tight?
    You've had your bike a while and ridden it hard. It is probably time for some new bearings. We have these in stock so it should be easy to get some when you return from your trip.

Todd, any comments? I know I have Bruce's extension written down somewhere, but I can't find the phone number for IH. The "contacts" listing on the web page has e-mail addresses and a fax number, but no phone.
    Bruce is no longer with Iron Horse. You can reach the customer service dept by calling 800-645-5477.

-ska todd

Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    Hmm...interesting. It's not rust since the HP is an aluminum frame. I have seen similar corrosion on bikes when I used to work in an IBD. This was usually the result of 1) sweat, 2) leaking energy drink, 3) living near the ocean.
    It's not 2) or 3), but it has been sweated on a little, and rained on some. Should I just sand it off and touch it up?

You've had your bike a while and ridden it hard. It is probably time for some new bearings. We have these in stock so it should be easy to get some when you return from your trip.
    It doesn't have anywhere near as many hours as it should for its age - I was out of commission for 8 months last year recovering from wrist surgery. :^( However, a lot of the rides it has been on have been really sloppy, like Pedrofest 2003. I think those hours count double. Do I call customer service directly or go through the dealer?

Thanks for the quick feedback! I can't wait to ride it in Moab next week. Wheeeeee!

Kathy :^)

Industry Loudmouth
    It's not 2) or 3), but it has been sweated on a little, and rained on some. Should I just sand it off and touch it up?
    I'm sure you could sand/touch up. Just keep an eye on it to see if you can diagnose the problem. Do you use the bike on an indoor trainer at all?

It doesn't have anywhere near as many hours as it should for its age - I was out of commission for 8 months last year recovering from wrist surgery. :^( However, a lot of the rides it has been on have been really sloppy, like Pedrofest 2003. I think those hours count double. Do I call customer service directly or go through the dealer?
    You can do either but I personally prefer people to order service items thru an IBD as there are less problems w/ ordering of the correct part and installation.

-ska todd

I'm sure you could sand/touch up. Just keep an eye on it to see if you can diagnose the problem. Do you use the bike on an indoor trainer at all?
    No, my road bike does indoor trainer duty. I don't have a water bottle mounted, so it's not like crud is being trapped behind the holder and not drying out. I'm thinking with the blistered paint, more moisture can get in and it could spread. Right now it's just a small ring around each boss. If I remove it and get it sealed, it should stop, I hope. I hope I can find some banana-yellow Testor's. ;^P I think I recall reading in another post that you don't have touch-up paint, right?

You can do either but I personally prefer people to order service items thru an IBD as there are less problems w/ ordering of the correct part and installation.-ska todd
    I appreciate your concern, but my dealer fairly far away, and I'm a reasonable mechanic. I've replaced the bearings on my Titus and in other things. I'll give them a call before I go on vacation, and maybe I'll have the parts when I get back. Thanks for your help.

Kathy :^)