mtbr member
    Jun 2004

old H.P w/ bent top tube

I was looking at the "show hollowpoints pics" thread and saw a pic of and old HP with a bent top tube. Why did iron horse go away form that look? Was there a reason for this? Personally i think it looks a lot better with the bent top tube. I dont like the look of the gusset(or what ever its called) on the top of the toptube of bikes.

1 more question. What i dont understand is why it has the last link that attaches to the shock above the seat stay link instead of below like current hp's. I thought dwlinks had to be below so the axle path will be correct. If not wouldnt it just be a vpp link?

Anyhow i guess thats enough questions. THanks

Industry Loudmouth
    2002 Hollowpoint and Hustler models had a banana shaped TT. This was originally done b/c on 02 models the shock mounted to the underside of the TT. On 02.5 models we switched to the dw-link design w/ the shock mounted to the DT. We kept the curved TT since the tubing had already been purchased and cut for the frames. For 03 frames we switched to a straight TT to save weight and for a cleaner look.

-ska todd

Crawlin' like a Crawfish!

mistake

When Ironhorse went to the heavier and straight top tube they took away the most eye pleasing form of this bike. My buddy has one and mine looks like crap next to his.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Wink New HPS

I think the newer HP's look great. They are unique and that is what drew me personally to their design. The older ones looked too much like Gary Fisher Sugars (which is ok, but everyone has one) and a few other models out there on the market. I think the HP looks very sleek...leans back like German Sherpard ready to pounce. I like "different", that's why I chose a Trek Y33 (in '97) as my first bike, it was different in design. Now, I don't like any Trek models and haven't for the past few years. But the HP is sharp with the low cut back end, extended seat tube, the shock design and the DW link. I reckon it's a preference of what you like to see on a bike. Ride on! ~eyeguy

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by zoo00oom
    When Ironhorse went to the heavier and straight top tube they took away the most eye pleasing form of this bike. My buddy has one and mine looks like crap next to his.
    We changed b/c the overwhelming response from dealers/consumers was the banana shaped tube was a turnoff. Guess it's 6-to one, 1/2 dozen to another. Both perform well.

-ska todd