Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    17

    Oh No! It happened again!

    I cannot believe it My 2003 replacement frame has cracked in the same spot the first one did! Less than 130 miles on this one. I'm an old fart (39) who rides singletrack in the Southeast US. I take it pretty easy as I realize I am mortal. I am starting to get suspicious that there is a design flaw. I have contacted Bruce, who took very good care of me before, I'm sure he will do it again. Pictures will be posted shortly.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    274
    Pictures here:

    From Left, From Center, From Bottom, From Right, Left Again,From Left with ruler
    [size=2]

    Tucker <- found crack while washing bike
    [/size]
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    hot arse Florida
    Reputation: Karma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    48
    flybarry, do you have pics yet? I'm curious if the cracks are the same as "Hardtail in Georgia"'s crack locations.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma
    flybarry, do you have pics yet? I'm curious if the cracks are the same as "Hardtail in Georgia"'s crack locations.

    The pictures above taken by "Hardtail..." are of my bike. He is much more technically savvy than myself, so he posted them for me. BTW, the folks at Ironhorse are taking care of the situation. While I'm unhappy about the cracked frame, their customer service is the best I have ever dealt with regarding, well, anything! Kudos to Bruce and company for doing the right thing. In me they have a loyal IH cutomer who will pass the word.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    29

    Bonking ... not feelin' well A little concerned!

    You have me a little scared here. I just broke my frame in the exact same spot and have only had it since april. It is a 2003 as well. I read some reviews and didn't see a whole lot at the time about broken frames for '03, but am now a little suspicious myself. I have called Bruce but have not heard back anything. Will call again tomorrow. I am sure they will take care of it, but don't wnt to have to disassemble the bike again. I'm 6ft 165. I ride pretty aggressive and sometimes fast over the rough stuff. I also run the shock at 220 and have it in the top hole. It climbs very, very well and gets the bumps pretty good. I'm hoping I can keep this setup and that isnt' the cause for the problem. I rode a Trek Y33 before with a Stratos lockout shock which was nice. but this bike is pretty solid and goes where I point it. Send me an email and let me know the results of your next frame. I would greatly appreciate it. ~eyeguy

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    234

    uh oh

    Ska Todd (or anybody in the know), were these frames from a particular part of the production run? Are they close in serial numbers? Any info on how many produced and how many broken so far? Someone at Supergo told me that a number of '03 HPs have broken... What's the deal? Are the '04s welded differently, or in a different shop?

  7. #7
    Industry Loudmouth
    Reputation: ska todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty
    Ska Todd (or anybody in the know), were these frames from a particular part of the production run? Are they close in serial numbers? Any info on how many produced and how many broken so far? Someone at Supergo told me that a number of '03 HPs have broken... What's the deal? Are the '04s welded differently, or in a different shop?
    Frames with problems are not from any one group. It does seem to be with frames produced later in the model year. It seems to be from a change in production technique but does not affect every single frame. For 04 the addition of new bracing and modified technique believe to have solved this issue.

    Trail bikes are a newer gendre of bikes and the industry as a whole is still learning exactly how light is right. Riders are expecting a bike with an XC weight but with freeriding capability. Expectedly, this seems to be where you see the most problems developing for products (be it frames, forks, wheels, etc). As this gendre grows the bikes and components will only get better and more durable.

    We 100% stand behind our product and will go to any length to keep you guys satisfied and on our bikes! If you have problems getting in touch with Bruce, have me paged and I'll do my best to help you out.

    -ska todd

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    29

    Bonking ... not feelin' well 100% or not?

    When I chose to go with Iron Horse, I did a lot of research on bikes. I rode a Trek Y33 XT, w/good stuff. I finally broke the forks after 7 years, pulling in the garage with it on top of the rack of my truck. Deciding to get a new bike that climbed well and rode well as well as being full suspension was a major decision, considering I had a good one already. I'm 6ft, 165 and don't drop 4 feet to flat and mostly ride fast and hard XC. I purchased this bike because of the reviews I read about the CUSTOMER SERVICE that would be received if something did happen. I love the ride, but I have a bone to pick. The first email I sent to Bruce back in April, right after I purchased my "03 hollowpoint was responded to and dealth with in 1 day (impressive). I have sent 3 more emails, and called 3 times and get only an automated system, that quite frankly ticks me off, when it says "Leave a message and I will respond as quickly as possible". To me i understand, "Ok I will be back to you with in 12 hours unless I'm out of the country or out of town". Instead I feel like I'm being ignored (and I'm a nice guy and have just left inquiring messages). So, my whole perspective on the IH customer service is not good right now. I broke my frame Friday, emailed Bruce Saturday, called everyday this week (it's Wednesday) and still no response. So... 100% is not a good answer at this point. My frame is broken after 3 months, I have it apart and ready to ship back for replacement and I just want to know where to send it to get a new one. I didnt' think that would be such a hard thing. ~eyeguy
    Last edited by urmindseye; 07-14-2004 at 08:27 PM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    29

    HP '03 Frame photo -cracked

    Picture of my HP '03 cracked
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Woah, take a step back from the keyboard, breathe deep...

    100% doesn't mean instant. Trust from your previous good experience and all the positivity they've handled previous issues that they'll do you right. How many other bike companies can you get a personal response from the product manager on a message board or by calling directly?

    First, be very glad you're not being forced to handle this through an LBS. Many of us purchased our Hollowpoint mail order from Supergo and BicycleBuys.com and would be in a world of hurt if we had to work out a warranty situation with either of them as a middleman.

    My Fisher warranty experience was no joyous experience, either. I stripped down my three year old 'Y' frame, a Fisher Joshua, brought it in to the same LBS down the street from where I purchased it, and there it sat in a box for two weeks waiting for a call tag from Wisconsin. It took another four weeks for the replacement frame to arrive from Trek in Waterloo, and when it did, almost all the component specs were different. Kind of a pisser.

    It's actually amazing that I can call or email Todd when I've needed to, and get a pretty quick if not immediate response from him even though he seems to be bouncing around the country to different events each weekend. From *all* appearances those guys handled the '03 warranty issue in a respectable amount of time, kept the communication open and the updates flowing on multiple channels (MTBR, Ride Monkey, HCOR.net, plus personal emails and took phone calls) and, even though mine wasn't one of the affected frames, I still got new linkages and a T-shirt out of the deal.

    Just because Bruce hasn't gotten back to you in 3 days doesn't mean it's time to raise the red flag. As previous experience has shown, you've got Todd to go to as an option, and I'm sure they'll handle you efficiently and fairly just like they have with any others who have posted here. No need to call 'em to the carpet.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    29

    Cool-blue Rhythm Breathing deep

    Didn't mean to come across that way (just upset and want to be in the saddle). I apologize if I offended anyone including Iron Horse. I am a computer consultant and I guess I just want to be treated the way I treat my clients which is instantanious. I agree about being able to deal with them direct. I had just read so much about the customer service I expected immediate. I have been emailing about an issue for over a month with no response though. I am sure Todd and the crew will take care of it. As I meantioned.. I do love the bike and quite honestly I'm not sure if I would want to ride anything else after being on the HP. Thanks for the breather ~eyeguy
    Last edited by urmindseye; 07-14-2004 at 10:41 PM.

  12. #12
    May contain nuts
    Reputation: Haggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,537

    Like to chime in with my support for IH...

    My experience with IH is all good. They replaced my linkage AND frame when the production linkage caused the seat-tube dent.
    IH has the RIGHT attitude toward it's customers as Todd's contributions to this and other boards demonstrate. Other brands could learn a lot from them...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    234

    Definitely...

    ...give them the benefit of the doubt. That's what I'm doing right now. I drove almost an hour in cross-town LA traffic to take my bike to Supergo today (Santa Monica--actually a good bunch of guys; mail order Supergo in NC is totally different (Performance ). I had found out my new rear triangle was in earlier today and I've already got one little dent in the seat tube. So Jorge the head mechanic opened all three boxes from IHB and I have a beautiful 21" rear end but... no linkage. He did tell me that he learned IHB was actually having trouble getting parts and the delay was from the supplier, not Bruce. Just hope the linkage arrives soon. Supergo repair was actually looking for an '04 in the box to get a linkage from when I left. I was pleased with that level of effort. Summer is ticking away and I want to ride the new bike (luckily I still have the hardtail).

    I have two weeks left to return the bike for a full refund, but Sunday I did 17 miles in a dusty canyon north of LA and even though I've definitely got some tweaking to do with the setup, the bike felt great. Better climber in steep silt that my hardtail. I'd hate to take it back and start shopping again.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    29

    ... and if we just ... Help on the way!

    I did get a response back from Bruce at Iron Horse, I was just being impatient. He has a frame set aside for me. I even had a delay in getting it shipped out to him thru my LBS and he emailed and said he has not seen it come in the place yet and was wondering where my bad one was. Mighty kewl checking up on me... Even me the little fella of South Carolina has a spot on the bench there at IH waiting. Kudos.. Again, sorry for the above post that has an attitude attached to it. I managed to rustle up a bike, hammer a few and get the stress out! Works evverytime!!!!!!

    Triple thanks to Bruce and the crew!!!!! 100% is the truth!

    ~eyeguy

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    29

    ... and if we just ... Yeah!!!!!

    I just wanted to let everyone know that I got my issue mostly resolved ( I say joyfully and with no hesitation). I got a new frame and a few other goodies I didnt' expect. I still had to order new bushings from Manitou for my new shock, but that's ok. I'm not throwing in just my 2 cents worth... I'm chunking quarters!!. I am in customer service as well and I always go the distance for all of my clients. But I want to say, Iron Horse blew me off my feet as to how well they treated me. I was floored. They went above and beyond... WAY beyond what I expected them to do for a warranty issue. When I did the research for a new bike, I looked long and hard, I bought their bike because of you "the posters" saying how great they were, even though I saw some issues (that were always resolved quickly). I loved the design of the bike as well, and the components it offered for the money. Well, add me to that list of sold 100% Horse riding dudes! I'm sold, hooked and stand behind them 100% in what they do. The bike is great, but the company and customer service is BETTER!! Thanks everyone here on the boards!!! and even greater thanks to Iron Horse for saving a spot on the work bench for a South Carolina dude when I needed a fix! ~eyeguy

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by urmindseye
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I got my issue mostly resolved ( I say joyfully and with no hesitation). I got a new frame and a few other goodies I didnt' expect. I still had to order new bushings from Manitou for my new shock, but that's ok. I'm not throwing in just my 2 cents worth... I'm chunking quarters!!. I am in customer service as well and I always go the distance for all of my clients. But I want to say, Iron Horse blew me off my feet as to how well they treated me. I was floored. They went above and beyond... WAY beyond what I expected them to do for a warranty issue. When I did the research for a new bike, I looked long and hard, I bought their bike because of you "the posters" saying how great they were, even though I saw some issues (that were always resolved quickly). I loved the design of the bike as well, and the components it offered for the money. Well, add me to that list of sold 100% Horse riding dudes! I'm sold, hooked and stand behind them 100% in what they do. The bike is great, but the company and customer service is BETTER!! Thanks everyone here on the boards!!! and even greater thanks to Iron Horse for saving a spot on the work bench for a South Carolina dude when I needed a fix! ~eyeguy

    Meant to update my situation last week. As expected, Bruce came through again The re-build went smoothly, the '04 front mated up perfectly to my '03 rear, and I'm up and riding once more! Saw another post regarding the seat tube diameter being different, my seatpost fit perfectly. I've only got out for a couple of rides so far, but my Hollowpoint is what it was, a great riding bike.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    29

    Hollowpoint is back!

    Hello all! Been a long time since I've been here from my last post. Last year I busted my 03' Sport frame and Bruce and IHBC came thru and replaced my frame with a 04' Team frame. I didn't build the bike until late February 05' and I wanted to give a report to all who were concerned and are still interested in the customer support and satisfaction of a rider.

    I've been riding the newly built bike since late February and already have 278 miles in the saddle (all trails). The bike is solid as a rock and climbs great! Matter of fact, I didn't even think of the "bobbing" issue until just 2 days ago when I realized , I haven't noticed any so far, which means it climbs solid! I changed up the drive train to SRAM X9 which had lots of probelms for a while (not a IHBC problem), but I got most of it resolved and it shifts pretty clean for the most part. The only issue I have is that the bike is a bit on the heavy side. Coming from riding a Trek Y33, Carbon Frame for 7 years, I can tella difference, but someone purchasing a new one for a great price I might add, most likely coul dnot even tell. But I am getting use to it and my legs are getting stronger for it.

    As in the beginning, what sold me on this bike was how everyone raved about the customer service. I found out first hand why everyone felt this way. IHBC and Bruce are top notch and went above and beyond what I could have ever expected in dealing DIRECTLY with a manufacturer. I can't say enough about how great they are! I ride this bike proudly and am very quick to answer people when they ask about it... "it's a great bike, a little heavy, but I've had direct dealings with the manufacturer, and I feel like I have a friend up there to take care of me. That's what it is all about! So, I just wanted to say again, Thanks to IronHorse Bicycles for coming through when I needed to be taken care of, and to all interesting in getting a Ironhorse Bike... you will not regret purchasing a bike that bears their name!

    Thank you IHBC team and all the posters of this board!

    TBerry,

    btw... Janr... Need to come to FL and ride this summer

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    585

    New question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by urmindseye
    Didn't mean to come across that way (just upset and want to be in the saddle). I apologize if I offended anyone including Iron Horse. I am a computer consultant and I guess I just want to be treated the way I treat my clients which is instantanious. I agree about being able to deal with them direct. I had just read so much about the customer service I expected immediate. I have been emailing about an issue for over a month with no response though. I am sure Todd and the crew will take care of it. As I meantioned.. I do love the bike and quite honestly I'm not sure if I would want to ride anything else after being on the HP. Thanks for the breather ~eyeguy
    maybe thay are all out at sea otter?

  19. #19
    mtbjk
    Reputation: Jan R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by urmindseye
    Hello all! Been a long time since I've been here from my last post. Last year I busted my 03' Sport frame and Bruce and IHBC came thru and replaced my frame with a 04' Team frame. I didn't build the bike until late February 05' and I wanted to give a report to all who were concerned and are still interested in the customer support and satisfaction of a rider.

    I've been riding the newly built bike since late February and already have 278 miles in the saddle (all trails). The bike is solid as a rock and climbs great! Matter of fact, I didn't even think of the "bobbing" issue until just 2 days ago when I realized , I haven't noticed any so far, which means it climbs solid! I changed up the drive train to SRAM X9 which had lots of probelms for a while (not a IHBC problem), but I got most of it resolved and it shifts pretty clean for the most part. The only issue I have is that the bike is a bit on the heavy side. Coming from riding a Trek Y33, Carbon Frame for 7 years, I can tella difference, but someone purchasing a new one for a great price I might add, most likely coul dnot even tell. But I am getting use to it and my legs are getting stronger for it.

    As in the beginning, what sold me on this bike was how everyone raved about the customer service. I found out first hand why everyone felt this way. IHBC and Bruce are top notch and went above and beyond what I could have ever expected in dealing DIRECTLY with a manufacturer. I can't say enough about how great they are! I ride this bike proudly and am very quick to answer people when they ask about it... "it's a great bike, a little heavy, but I've had direct dealings with the manufacturer, and I feel like I have a friend up there to take care of me. That's what it is all about! So, I just wanted to say again, Thanks to IronHorse Bicycles for coming through when I needed to be taken care of, and to all interesting in getting a Ironhorse Bike... you will not regret purchasing a bike that bears their name!

    Thank you IHBC team and all the posters of this board!

    TBerry,

    btw... Janr... Need to come to FL and ride this summer
    eye man glad to see you back its been awhile since ive seen apost from you glad to hear you got the bike back and together finally and also out enjoying it. i told you i would have built it for you. oh well it sounds as though your enjoying it and its working good for you but how about a picture. i no you have to have seen a few of mine floating around the IH board if not just go check some out, there are plenty of pic's to see and alot of nice IH's to check out I'm sure you will be enjoying your's and i have not had a problem since I got the 04 frame it's rock solid now and rides like a champ. and if you catch this post email me you'r # so i can give you a call to see when your comming down to Fl . Glad your back
    Jan R Ride ON

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    10

    It's now happened to me too!

    I have just cracked my frame in the exact same spot. My rear swing arm, where the brace at the front of the rear wheel attaches to the upper part (hard to describe) has also cracked. This is the second time. The first was about a year ago, but that time it snapped right through. Bruce looked after me very well and sent a new swing arm. I live in Australia, so it can be difficult trying to organize something like that. I contacted Iron Horse yesterday, so haven't heard anything yet. I love this bike and am really disappointed this has happened, right in the middle of our winter racing series!

  21. #21
    Industry Loudmouth
    Reputation: ska todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    965
    Mike,

    Contact Sean Gregg at Iron Horse and he'll get you rolling again ASAP. His email is seang @ ironhorsebikes.com.

    We may have to route it thru the Aussie distributor.

    -ska todd

Similar Threads

  1. What happened to Chris Chance
    By benjyboard in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 07:38 AM
  2. what happened to Noleen?
    By bluronthetrails in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 07:44 AM
  3. WTF happened to Spring?
    By Casual Observer in forum Arizona
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 06:40 AM
  4. what happened to deleting a post?
    By FireDog46 in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 05:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •