trail "cleaner"

North Face selling copies of Hollowpoints?

I was reading one of my bike mags and noticed adds for bikes from North Face and one looked exactly like a Hollow point. It even spoke to the DW link. What's the story? Is Iron Horse selling Hollow Points to North face or are these cheap copies?
    No dabs allowed!

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycle
    I was reading one of my bike mags and noticed adds for bikes from North Face and one looked exactly like a Hollow point. It even spoke to the DW link. What's the story? Is Iron Horse selling Hollow Points to North face or are these cheap copies?
    The North Face Kitchatna and Talkeetna bikes use the same frames as the Hollowpoint. The bikes are manufactured for The North Face/Galyans by Iron Horse.

-ska todd

OldTeen
    Jun 2004
    Now that Galyan's is being bought out by Dick's, I wonder if Dick's will handle North Face bikes. Last year Galyan's seemed to sell the North Face Kichatna for roughly what a Hollowpoint Sport listed for, but some of the recent close-out deals were insane!

Industry Loudmouth
    I believe they will continue with TNF bike models.

-ska todd

OldTeen
    Jun 2004
    That's good to hear! I will miss the great bike tech at my local Galyans. I'm sure he'll do well at an LBS. In my brief dealing's with Dick's bike section... let's just say I think there's room for improvement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i have the pumori and i love it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    The North Face Kitchatna and Talkeetna bikes use the same frames as the Hollowpoint. The bikes are manufactured for The North Face/Galyans by Iron Horse.

-ska todd
    I thought Giant made Iron Horse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i heard a company called worldwide cycle does as well as railiegh but that was from a guy at galyans but........... he tried to sell me an acera derailuer telling me it was usually 200 bucks and it was what lance armstong uses? i asked him if he even knew anything about cycling and then he critisised me saying i was a punk and that i knew nothing. it gets funnier i asked him if he knew what dura-ace is and he said it was a type of valve stem that was on sale? so to sum it up this paragraph was a waste of time.

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    I thought Giant made Iron Horse.
    Giant China is one of Iron Horse's (and Giant, Trek, & Specialized's) assembley factories. Iron Horse is an independently owned and operated company.

Quote Originally Posted by firepaint
    i heard a company called worldwide cycle does as well as railiegh but that was from a guy at galyans
    World Wide Cycle is a sister company of Iron Horse. Iron Horse/WWCS are the exclusive mfgr of TNF bikes for Galyans/***** stores.

ps...funny story about the Dura Ace der.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Relationship: IronHorse, Giant, Specialized, Trek?

[QUOTE=ska todd]Giant China is one of Iron Horse's (and Giant, Trek, & Specialized's) assembley factories. Iron Horse is an independently owned and operated company.

Would you please explain a little bit the relationship between the mentioned companies? It just got my attention.

Thanks,

Erwin
    Yauco, PR

Uhhhhh...
    [QUOTE=Erwin]
    Giant China is one of Iron Horse's (and Giant, Trek, & Specialized's) assembley factories. Iron Horse is an independently owned and operated company.

Would you please explain a little bit the relationship between the mentioned companies? It just got my attention.

Thanks,

Erwin
    Yauco, PR
    Uhh, Giant weld's IH frames along with those other companies.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin
    Would you please explain a little bit the relationship between the mentioned companies?
    Keep in mind you've got the original Giant, the contract frame builder which produces frames for many companies, some well known, some not.

Then you've got Giant, the bicycle brand, which designs & sells bicycles under the "Giant" brand name through its various regions (Giant USA, Giant BV, Giant Canada, etc.).

It's the same Giant, but distinct businesses.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Good job! Good to know who's behind our bikes...

Thanks guys!

It's always good to know (and understand) how this industry moves. So there's a Giant frame builder and a Giant Bicycle builder. But... are the design & engineering of the HollowPoint bikes fully from the IronHorse Company?

Erwin
    Yauco, PR

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin
    But... are the design & engineering of the HollowPoint bikes fully from the IronHorse Company?
    On the 02-04 Hollowpoint (Mk II) the frame engineering was done by the frame factory and the suspension was designed by Dave. On the Mk III the frame and suspension are totally done by Dave.

-ska todd

OldTeen
    Jun 2004
    Any update on whether or not Dick's will be carrying North Face bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Probably not

Quote Originally Posted by OldTeen
    I was at the Castleton store today, looking to get a Kitchatna on clearance.
    All were gone.

The sales clerk tried to point me to a 2005 North Face hardtail, while commenting she was suprised they had one since ***** wasn't going to carry North Face bikes anymore

I think about 2 weeks ago there were 5 of the Kitchatnas, all with blown shocks since they never put air in them. Leaking oil around the rebound adjuster.
    There was one of the coil spring model, but it had a sold tag on it.

Would have been about $650 clearanced out. They had XT shifters and rear deralleurs. Shimano disc brakes, Fox fork, and TruVative oversized bar/ stem...I think!

Urban Rider
    Apr 2005
    I work in the ***** bike shop (formerly galyans) We still carry all the top north face bikes, TNF just resigned with *****, so nows its a "***** only" brand bike. WE've got all the new models in too.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTeen

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here.

On the 02-04 Hollowpoint (Mk II) the frame engineering was done by the frame factory and the suspension was designed by Dave. On the Mk III the frame and suspension are totally done by Dave.

-ska todd
    does that explain the simularities between mk's and the new giants?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by rick watts
    does that explain the simularities between mk's and the new giants?
    Side by side, the Trance and Reign are more similar to the '04 Hollowpoints then they are to the MkIII. The change in the shock's anchor point (from mid-downtube on Mk2 Hollowpoint to near bottom bracket on Trance / Reign) throws the visual cues off a bit, but other than that, there is an uncanny resemblance to the older Iron Horse frames, especially in the rear end/yoke design.