Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: new bikes

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2

    new bikes

    now that Interbike is over can ya'll (lronhorse employees) tell us the prices for the bikes, and when the complete bikes will shiped/able to be purchased. Also I was wondering how your supposed to figure out what size bike to get, and what measurements are for what size person. Im 6' 34'' inseam what size frame should I be looking for?

  2. #2
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Quote Originally Posted by travis86
    now that Interbike is over I was wondering how your figure size , and measurements are. Im 34'' what size should I be?
    Personally, it came down to horizontal reach & effective top tube length. I'm approximately your size (6'1", 33.5" inseam). I could have went either with a M (19") or L (21") Hollowpoint -- either would have provided sufficient standover -- but I picked the 19" frame because it gave me the reach I was comfortable with without having to resort to too short a stem length. In trade for picking the smaller frame size, I have mucho seatpost showing and a fat stack of spacers underneath my stem.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2
    does anyone know when the new ones will be able to be purchased..all ive heard is like winter for the new complete bikes..any specific dates?

  4. #4
    Industry Loudmouth
    Reputation: ska todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    965
    05 pricing is:

    Azure
    Comp = $1999
    Expert = $2999
    Team = $4299
    Factory frame kit = $1599

    Mk III
    Comp = $1999
    Expert = $2799
    Team = $4299

    7POINT
    3 = $2499
    5 = $2999
    7 = $4299

    Sunday
    Team = $3999
    World Cup = $4999
    Factory frame kit = $2299

    Availability is expected for Dec/Jan.

    -ska todd

  5. #5
    Team
    Reputation: DHbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,176
    SkaTodd any idea about the Yakuza series pricing?
    fusionx2.com/eatskisleep
    500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    the thingamajig that's attached to the doohickey is causing some issues with the whatchamacallit. But whatever it is your going to have take'er apart a give'er a looksee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Ugh...judging drops on MTBR is like guys judging their own penis size.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,979
    What is a factory frame kit? Can the frame be ordered by itself without the factory-imposed kit?

  7. #7
    Crawlin' like a Crawfish!
    Reputation: zoo00oom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    178

    seems steep

    I hope there are deals right away on these bikes and frames. Ironhorse seems to be moving away from what built the company (inexpensive bikes) to boutique type pricing. There is quite a wide range of choices out there for XC bikes with frame costs of $1599 or less out there, so it isn't clear for me anymore, plus the so-called IH dealers within 2 hours drive of me will never stock any of them, hell, they told me the 2003 Hollowpoint Sport ($999) was to expensive to stock. So, as far as comparing bikes, such as the Azure, which looks okay on paper, I'll could never take a chance on such a pricey frame or complete bike, and the comp really isn't spec'd out that well for the price.
    Why do you think I won't buy a specialized?
    I'm in a groove now, or is it a rut?

  8. #8
    Riding a Rig.
    Reputation: Vulcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,157
    I don't think the prices are that bad... Those are the MSRP's, The prices from mail order type places will probably be a good 600+ cheaper. I think the prices from Iron Horse are very reasonable considering all the new frames... Most of the manufacturers have really hiked up the prices this year.

  9. #9
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Quote Originally Posted by zoo00oom
    Why do you think I won't buy a specialized?
    'cause it ain't got dw-link? (just a guess -- it's what swayed me)

    Over the past two seasons, the IH prices have been discounted pretty heavily right from the start. The usual suspects are Supergo and Bicyclebuys.com, and it'll be interesting to see how my local Performance stores price them.

    There's no doubt increased Shimano component prices have influenced what we pay for complete bikes over the past year. Hopefully SRAM as competition will keep this in check in '05.

    Iron Horse seems to be following in Giant's footsteps in terms of "reinventing" the company. Giant made a big effort beginning in '99 or '00 to give the brand a facelift with new bikes, new marketing, and super-low prices to attract buyers. As their NRS and AC gained recognition and respect, their prices increased to match their competitors. If I had to guess, I'd suggest IH is about two or three years in to a similar rebuilding process. Unfortunately, their brand still has little recognition here on the west coast -- or at least NorCal -- and I'm concerned their bikes are often given short shrift due to their lack of presence in local shops. My local shop guys see me with my Hollowpoint and can't fathom why I'm not interested in the latest and greatest from Specialized.

  10. #10
    Crawlin' like a Crawfish!
    Reputation: zoo00oom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    178

    ... and if we just ... why not special ed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed´┐Żb Nate
    'cause it ain't got dw-link? (just a guess -- it's what swayed me)
    That too, but, component spec'ing has even more to do with it. I worked on a rockhopper that had a judy C on it. Come on, for 1250 bucks you can't put a decent fork on the thing? Companies pay pennies on the dollar for components compared to us poor slobs. Case in point, the Weyless SP Pro. I know, I know, the frame itself isn't the same but, check the component group, stellar, for $1650 on a complete bike.
    The only way I could afford the components on that bike is by buying the complete bike itself. You couldn't buy the parts seperately to build up a frame for that dough.
    Yes, this is just a rant from a low budget racer that was very thankful for a company like IH that provided me with a starter bike for a grand, with a decent fork and a good groupo, that rides like a 2000 dollar bike.
    I guess I'll be riding my 2003 Hollowpoint for a very, very long time to come.
    I rode this bike for over a year before I setup and understood about it's suspension. Thanks to Todd for pretty much forcing me to set it up and stop watching the suspension and just ride. That made the world of difference, I just had the "talk" with my friend who purchased a used 2002 Hollowpoint and was making the same mistakes I was with trying to make the suspension too hard. Set the sag and ride!
    I'm in a groove now, or is it a rut?

  11. #11
    Industry Loudmouth
    Reputation: ska todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by DHbiker
    SkaTodd any idea about the Yakuza series pricing?
    Chimpira = $649
    Bakuto = $999
    Waka Gashira = $$1499

    Aniki = $899
    Ojiki = $1499
    Kumicho = $2099

    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    What is a factory frame kit? Can the frame be ordered by itself without the factory-imposed kit?
    The 'Factory' frame kits are the USA made kits. The Sunday Factory kit includes the shock, r-hub, s-post, & headset. The Azure Factory includes the shock & headset. The frames cannot be ordered w/o the parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoo00oom
    I hope there are deals right away on these bikes and frames. Ironhorse seems to be moving away from what built the company (inexpensive bikes) to boutique type pricing. There is quite a wide range of choices out there for XC bikes with frame costs of $1599 or less out there, so it isn't clear for me anymore, plus the so-called IH dealers within 2 hours drive of me will never stock any of them, hell, they told me the 2003 Hollowpoint Sport ($999) was to expensive to stock. So, as far as comparing bikes, such as the Azure, which looks okay on paper, I'll could never take a chance on such a pricey frame or complete bike, and the comp really isn't spec'd out that well for the price.
    Why do you think I won't buy a specialized?
    The quoted prices are MSRP. Dealers and distributors can price according to their market needs.

    As I have explained on other threads, the pricing this year is due to two conditions: rising costs (parts, materials, shipping, & labor) and new technology. Comparing the 02-04 Hollowpoint to the new Mk III/Azure frames is kinda an apples to oranges comparison. There is a lot of engineering, R&D, and testing that has gone into the new platforms. These aren't just 'off the shelf' frames. These are proprietary designs.

    We have the new dual suspension Warrior series models for riders looking for a performance bike on a budget. The Warrior frames are designed to ride very similar to the 02-04 Hollowpoint frames.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoo00oom
    Companies pay pennies on the dollar for components compared to us poor slobs. Case in point, the Weyless SP Pro. I know, I know, the frame itself isn't the same but, check the component group, stellar, for $1650 on a complete bike.
    The only way I could afford the components on that bike is by buying the complete bike itself. You couldn't buy the parts seperately to build up a frame for that dough.
    Unfortunately, we don't pay 'pennies on the dollar' for components. If so, I'd be a rich man or your pricing will be be a bit lower LOL In all seriousness, the vendor-mfgr-distributor-retailer-consumer structure is part of the world mfgr'ing economy, not just the bike industry. Almost every consumer good you purchase goes through this same structure in someway. Some retailers such as a WalMart or Home Depot etc will purchase direct from distributors, factories, or vendors and take the other factors out of the equation. This is why their pricing is often so much lower comparitive to their competitors. The Weyless brand is an example of this.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoo00oom
    Yes, this is just a rant from a low budget racer that was very thankful for a company like IH that provided me with a starter bike for a grand, with a decent fork and a good groupo, that rides like a 2000 dollar bike.
    I guess I'll be riding my 2003 Hollowpoint for a very, very long time to come.
    I rode this bike for over a year before I setup and understood about it's suspension. Thanks to Todd for pretty much forcing me to set it up and stop watching the suspension and just ride. That made the world of difference, I just had the "talk" with my friend who purchased a used 2002 Hollowpoint and was making the same mistakes I was with trying to make the suspension too hard. Set the sag and ride!
    Thanks for the props and for helping out your friend with the set-up. Anytime you have set-up queries feel free to post em up. Iron Horse is still providing race level bikes for riders on a budget with bikes such as the Yakuza Kumicho and the Warrior Elite. While not using the dw-link, these models pack more than enough punch for a beg/sport level rider/racer. The dw-link is a highend platform. To pull it off 100% costs time and money. We could make a $1000 Mk III but then there would be threads saying we $lutted out the bike w/ Alivio components and heavy wheels.

    -ska todd

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    520
    To pull it off 100% costs time and money. We could make a $1000 Mk III but then there would be threads saying we $lutted out the bike w/ Alivio components and heavy wheels.

    -ska todd[/QUOTE]


    I compeletly agree with your above statement. That is one of the great things about Iron Horse is that you don't use lower end (Alivio, etc) with a higher end frame. Now, if we can only work on the 2005 MK III colors...Just kidding

Similar Threads

  1. If you need to know this.
    By KevinVokeyJ24 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 08:40 AM
  2. These 4 bikes "speak" to me....help me pick one!!
    By generalpatton in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 05:47 PM
  3. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 07:27 AM
  4. mutilated Walmart mtb
    By bluronthetrails in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 09:26 AM
  5. women, bikes and horses
    By JustDoIt in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 08:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •