Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New 2007 Azure Comp owner.

Hi,

Just figured I'd introduce myself to the forum. I just picked up a 2007 Azure Comp from Randall Scott and was curious if it came everything I'd need to set it up (shock pump and cleats for the pedals). I primarily ride the green belt here in Austin and looking forward to getting out there with my first full suspension bike. Also, if anyone else in Austin has any experience with dialing in the suspension, please let me know as I'd appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi, and congrats on owning an awesome bike. You will get cleats but no shock pump. I would buy a shock pump right away so your bike comes you can mess around with the pressure. I weigh 170 and I have the fox float on 125psi in the back and it dosent bottom out and feels nice. Youll probably have to adjust your brakes, and make sure any extra bolts are tight to your specification. Be sure to take some pics of her to throw up here in the offical Azure thread.

mtbr member
    Hello All,
    I'm getting back into biking (mostly cross country-type trails) after several years. I spent the last few weeks scanning the internet and I settled on the IH Azure Sport. I took the plunge last night also with Randall Scott's closeout deals online. I'm close to 6' in height and around 170lbs so I picked the 19" size. Thanks for the tips Rockadile, I'll make the adjustments based on the weight when it arrives. It has been a long time since I've worked on bikes but I enjoy tweaking hardware. I think I made a good choice and I'm chomping at the bit to see it. Delivery will take a few days though so I gotta be patient. I'll share some pics later on the Azure thread after I've made adjustments and I'll provide any feedback that may help other new owners.
    Thanks again, Later,
    -G8tor
    Last edited by G8tor; 04-07-2008 at 12:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Awesome G8tor! Yes you are chomping to see your new bike, but guess what I get that same feeling now a year later to see the Azure each day when I pull her out of the closet for a ride.

Look setting up the rear shock can be a pain but its really easy in essence. For the rear as Dave Weagle mentioned in a thread somewhre on here, set the PSI so you have 25% sag then set the rebound so that when you jump on the pedals it only only bounces back to original position and dosent bounce again.

And like I said but its worth repeating, just because you had a "Pro Build" like I did from RS cycles, dosent mean doo doo. My crank arm wasnt tightened enough and actually almost FELL OFF while I was riding, my brakes were a joke, my rear wheel wasnt trued, my rear derailleur wasnt dialed, and god knows what else. Point is, check every bolt outside of the frame bolts(becuase they have been perfect) and make sure its done right. I only noticed all of this in hindsight of course, and I dont blame RS becuase you get what you pay for and I knew they were going to do the lamest setup possible.

If you have Avid BB5 brakes, fuss, muss, complain, then follow this guide and have your brakes perfect in 5 min.

http://bluecollarmtb.com/2006/10/30/...l-disc-brakes/

mtbr member
    Thanks again, Rock! Appreciate the brake guide. I've printed it out and will have it handy for the Azure arrival in a few days. I actually passed on the Pro Setup since I plan to go over every part of the bike like a hawk anyways.

I'm a meticulous DIYfer and want to learn the all the mechanisms of the bike. I build computers from scratch as another hobby and I take time to research everything before I tweak it.
    Later!
    FL-G8tor
    -Living high and dry in the Snake River Valley desert, Idaho

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by G8tor
    Thanks again, Rock! Appreciate the brake guide. I've printed it out and will have it handy for the Azure arrival in a few days. I actually passed on the Pro Setup since I plan to go over every part of the bike like a hawk anyways.

I'm a meticulous DIYfer and want to learn the all the mechanisms of the bike. I build computers from scratch as another hobby and I take time to research everything before I tweak it.
    Later!

That makes two of us into computers, Im a big overclocker. Hey how does the warranty work if the bike is not assembled by "technicians"?

mtbr member
    The bike should arrive tomorrow! There is an authorized IH dealer not too far from me that I may ask to inspect it after my assembly if they offer a "certified inspection" at a reasonable fee.

The warranty does state "This limited warranty applies only to Iron Horse Bicycles, which were fully assembled by an authorized bicycle dealer at the time of purchase and were not altered in any way inconsistent with the bicycle's design. In order to obtain limited warranty service, the bicycle, together with the bill of sale/assembly, must be presented to an authorized bicycle dealer" according to their limited warranty policy: http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/downlo...E-WARRANTY.pdf

I'm looking forward to some riding this weekend!
    FL-G8tor

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Bike *should* have arrived today but FedEx decided to attempt a residential delivery in the middle of the day! Gah! Hopefully, I'll be able to receive it tomorrow, already went out and got a shock pump and one of those yakima top tube adapter bars since I didn't want to spend more money on a new bike rack.

I should be able to give it a quick once over then practice falling down as this will be my first bike with clip less pedals. I think the only thing I'll need help with is getting the seat height correct.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27
    Bike *should* have arrived today but FedEx decided to attempt a residential delivery in the middle of the day! Gah! Hopefully, I'll be able to receive it tomorrow, already went out and got a shock pump and one of those yakima top tube adapter bars since I didn't want to spend more money on a new bike rack.

I should be able to give it a quick once over then practice falling down as this will be my first bike with clip less pedals. I think the only thing I'll need help with is getting the seat height correct.

Dude be careful! You WILL fall and hopefully not on concrete. The worst is when you have been riding all day, then you come to a stop to get off, and ohhhh crap clipless! WHUMP! Ive been doing it for years so it's second nature but I fell more than a few times in the process.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well, the bike arrived, had to do some cable re-routing, re-align the handlebars with the fork, and just give the bike a once over but she's all put together now. The pro-build did save *some* time but I noticed a couple of things:

1. The way they routed the front caliper line would not allow me to put the front wheel on. I looked at some pictures of the azure on Iron Horses website and figured that out.

2. The handle bars were not correctly aligned with the front fork, with the wheel straight the handle bars were off about 5 degrees or so.

Those were the only big issues that I found. I'm probably going to take it to a LBS to have them double check my setup with my measurements but I did manage to get the sag front and rear set up for my weight. I ended up with about 170 psi in the rear and about 120 psi in the front which gave me about .25" on the rear shock and about .75-1" on the front shock. Now I just need to get out and play with the rebound. Right now I've got the rear shock turned almost all the way to slow which I'm not sure is correct but I'll keep playing with that. I also played around with the clip less pedals some just to try to get used to them.

Other than just a few quick passes up and down the street and some small drops off the curb it seems like its pretty damn good. Much nicer of a ride over my 8 year old hard tail.

One question though:
    Did anyone else's azure come with some sort of plastic big ring guard on the crankset? I'm looking at this thing and I don't think that for the stuff I ride it's going to last very long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockadileSX
    Hi, and congrats on owning an awesome bike. You will get cleats but no shock pump. I would buy a shock pump right away so your bike comes you can mess around with the pressure. I weigh 170 and I have the fox float on 125psi in the back and it dosent bottom out and feels nice. Youll probably have to adjust your brakes, and make sure any extra bolts are tight to your specification. Be sure to take some pics of her to throw up here in the offical Azure thread.
    HaHa. Is there actually an Azure Thread?
    God Made dirt. Dirt don't hurt

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by drtmonkey
    HaHa. Is there actually an Azure Thread?

Yep:
    Official Azure Thread

mtbr member
    Rockadile was right! After assembling the Azure I took it for a test spin around the block. I wanted to see how well the brakes work, which did great, and then I promptly flopped over on the asphalt before I could twist my foot out.... Just a sore knee and I don't think anyone on my street saw my embarrassing noobness hopefully.

Today was a beautiful Sunday and I took the bike to the Boise foothills. I posted some photos on the Official Azure Thread: Official Azure Thread
    FL-G8tor

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    After taking the bike out on several rides I'm noticing that the headset is a little creaky. Has anyone else ever noticed this appearing after a while? I believe that is a Cane Creek headset with what looks to be some spacers on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27
    After taking the bike out on several rides I'm noticing that the headset is a little creaky. Has anyone else ever noticed this appearing after a while? I believe that is a Cane Creek headset with what looks to be some spacers on it.
    I don't know if its right but mine squeaked alot like rubber squeege sound, so I put a drop of oil at the lower rubber part where it meets the frame. It didnt creak though so maybe its a different problem.

G8tor- Isnt that funny how those pedals get you when you least expect it.

mtbr member
    oh!!! g8tor... I used to live in Kuna. how is it up there?
    God Made dirt. Dirt don't hurt

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well I talked to RS Cycle and they mentioned trying to tighten the allen bolt on the top of the headset. I loosened the handlebar stem then tightened the headset bolt and the creaking seems to have gone away but there is defiantly a squeaking noise when turning the handle bars. I may end up having to take the whole damn thing apart and greasing/lubing everything.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I noticed a bit of squeaking on my headset too but it does not sound like metal creaking. During assembly I saw a plastic gasket/spacer used in the headset that may need a little more grease.
    Hey DrtMonkey, I'm in Mountain Home but I wish this town was more in the mountains and not so much in the desert valley. It gets a bit too dry and dusty in the summer. I do enjoy the great snow skiing around here and plan to see a lot more of the wilderness with my new Azure. Kuna is growing since I hear a lot of residential homes are being built east of Boise.
    Later,
    FL-G8tor

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just a short update:

Clips- Love em... really getting used to riding with them and digging the ability to put the power down on the rock gardens without worrying about coming off the pedals.

Maxxis Ignitor rear and Crossmark front - Not really all *that* impressed so far. The front was really washing out a lot in turns and I still really want something bigger both front and rear.

The bike as a whole- I was initially worried that I may have chosen the wrong bike for the trails that I ride. After all the reviews about how good the DW-Link was for climbing I found that I was having quite a bit of difficulty doing some of the more technical climbs down here.

That all changed today.

I finally took the bike in to Cody at Hammerhead bikes here in Austin and he helped me set the bike up. A few of the changes included raising the bike seat and moving it as far forward as it would go (I still need a different seat post to get the optimal seating position) and removing the spacers from under the stem.

Boy were those simple changes noticeable! The thing climbs SO much better now since by moving the seat forward and dropping the handlebars my weight is more centered when riding the nose of the seat. The corning wash out I was experiencing was greatly reduced as well. This thing rides like an almost completely different bike! I can't wait to get out and try some more trails this weekend.

On another note, regarding the 2.1 Nevegal that I wanted to run, everyone was pretty much right. There is almost zero clearance for that tire on the rear. We test fit one that was mounted on a tubeless wheel and it was a no go so back to the drawing board. I'm thinking that now I may end up putting a 2.3 Nevegal up front with either a 2.1 panaracer fire or a 2.1 ignitor in the back or just do a 2.3 ignitor front and a 2.1 ignitor rear. I don't know yet, I just know I want something bigger and grippier than what came on the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You know thats funny about the seating position, I have my seat all the way forward and I even bought a Thompson 0 degree setback seatpost to move me up further. It helped some but I would say the seat is still too far back by a few mm, but its better. If you have that crap Ritchtey seatpost you wont belive what a Thompson post will do to stiffen up the rear end. And if you do have that Ritchtey, then run it backwards!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    That makes two of us into computers, Im a big overclocker. Hey how does the warranty work if the bike is not assembled by "technicians"?

If the bike is not built by a "technician" or a bike shop. The warranty is voided. The warranty is as of now is 5 years frame warranty and one year on all the parts from manufacturers defects.

You picked up a great ride. Enjoy .

MJ

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You know thats funny about the seating position, I have my seat all the way forward and I even bought a Thompson 0 degree setback seatpost to move me up further. It helped some but I would say the seat is still too far back by a few mm, but its better. If you have that crap Ritchtey seatpost you wont belive what a Thompson post will do to stiffen up the rear end. And if you do have that Ritchtey, then run it backwards!
    Where did you get that Thompson from? I was looking for good recommendations on a seat post. Is it any lighter than the Ritchtey that came on the bike?

More tire stuff:

I noticed that Kenda offeres a Nevegal in a 1.95 which I'm wondering if its closer to a 2.05 judging by the way that the "2.1" fit my bike. Other options are now a Maxxis Highroller in 2.1 in the rear... its lighter than the Nevegal but might be just as good in terms of grip.

mtbr member
    I have a Nevegal 1.95 and it's noticably smaller than the 2.1. It almost appears too small/thin, but it will definitely fit on the Azure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog
    I have a Nevegal 1.95 and it's noticably smaller than the 2.1. It almost appears too small/thin, but it will definitely fit on the Azure.
    Do you know if the 1.95 Nevegal is bigger than the 1.95 Maxxis Ignitor? From what I can gather from searching around this site is that the Nevegals tend to run on the large side of things while the Maxxis tires run on the smaller side of things.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure on the 1.95 Nevegal vs 1.95 Ignitor, but the 2.1 Ignitor that came on my Felt Virtue 3 is a smaller tire than the 2.1 Nevegal.

So I would agree with your comment that the Maxxis tires run on the smaller side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast