mtbr member
    Jan 2007

New question here. My price on new 2006 MK III Expert

Shop is asking $1800 for brand new stock bike. They are willing to swap saddles for one I prefer for free. They will swap the rear shock to a cloud 9 for 240(they keep original) and they will swap pedals to ATAC XS for 100 (they keep originals). I'm new to all of this but wanted to see if these numbers were off the wall or fair. What do you think?

Also the shop is going to throw in a shock pump for free and have the cloud 9 reworked at CC for the MK III for free.

Lastly , I thought I read somewhere in another thread that the 2006 rear triangle(?) was tool close to the chain line, Is this true? Any issues of the rear frame failing due to chain impacts or does a chain stay protector work in this case?
    Last edited by ecrock45; 01-20-2007 at 01:05 PM.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by ecrock45
    Shop is asking $1800 for brand new stock bike. They are willing to swap saddles for one I prefer for free. They will swap the rear shock to a cloud 9 for 240(they keep original) and they will swap pedals to ATAC XS for 100 (they keep originals). I'm new to all of this but wanted to see if these numbers were off the wall or fair. What do you think?

Also the shop is going to throw in a shock pump for free and have the cloud 9 reworked at CC for the MK III for free.

Lastly , I thought I read somewhere in another thread that the 2006 rear triangle(?) was tool close to the chain line, Is this true? Any issues of the rear frame failing due to chain impacts or does a chain stay protector work in this case?

As far as prices go, everthing looks good. 100 for the Atacs is a bit high. But the other stuff makes up for it especially the Cloud Nine deal and price.

There deffinately is a tight clearence between the chain and rear triangle. This becomes a non-issue with an old tube wrapped on the stay. I have not heard of a single failure due to the chain hitting the stay. Unwrapped without a protector it will chip the paint.

good luck
    Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks Greg. I'll definately wrap the stay.

mtbr member
    Thanks Greg. I'll definately wrap the stay.
    Some different wrap options..
    chainstay guard question for yogreg or anyone

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks broncbuster.

How do the stock wheels hold up for everyone? Yes I've been to the reviews but wanted to ask for some more recent experiences. Have you upgraded? I don't have the money to go to top o' the line Chris King or Hugi's but may consider something a bit nicer before it's all done. Guess I just need to get the bike first.

Black Lion
    Thanks broncbuster.

How do the stock wheels hold up for everyone? Yes I've been to the reviews but wanted to ask for some more recent experiences. Have you upgraded? I don't have the money to go to top o' the line Chris King or Hugi's but may consider something a bit nicer before it's all done. Guess I just need to get the bike first.
    Strickly speaking about the stoke bike. The wheels are the weak link. The first thing I did besides break down the entire bike. Was to upgrade to some stiff wheels with strong hubs.

There are plenty of good factory wheelsets out there to choose from. Some very reasonably priced. Of course a dope handbuilt wheel is always the top option. But come at a high cost.

Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Thanks broncbuster.

How do the stock wheels hold up for everyone? Yes I've been to the reviews but wanted to ask for some more recent experiences. Have you upgraded? .
    I still have my stock '06 MK3 Expert wheels. I think if you do large drops and or a lot of standing while pedaling you probably would need to upgrade. My use mountain biking w/some XC, seven months use 5 days a week average and they are still true.
    Last edited by broncbuster; 01-20-2007 at 09:00 PM.