(not that fast)

This is my nightmare

A friend of mine came down yesterday to go for a ride. When he went in my garage, he saw my other riding buddies new MKIII. We decided he should ride that over his old trek. I called and persuaded my friend to let us borrow his ride.

Fast forward a couple of miles.

Some how the bolt worked itself out of the sleeve connecting the shock to the rockers. The sleeve even backed out and he rode without the shock attached to the rocker for a little bit before asking me what was wrong with it.

After getting it home and really looking it over this morning, none of the holes seem to be ovalized, which is a great thing, considering.

So, I'm hoping that someone can help me with a couple of questions.

1. What kind of bolt should be where one isn't? Was there any type of washer between the rocker and the bolt?

2. The large bolts attaching the rockers to the seat tube have some weird stuff going on. The middle of the bolts look to be damaged but I cannot figure out how/why. The material just seems to be very thin and they could have been like that before any of this happened. But I'm worried that it might be a sign of bigger problems. Can someone give me feed back on this?

If you look hard enough in the picture taken from the left side, you can see where the rocker rode on the top of the shock, rubbing some of the paint off.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This is my nightmare-left-side.jpg  

This is my nightmare-right-side.jpg  

(not that fast)
    I also cross posted this here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6970547

in case anyone finds this thread in the future.

mtbr member
    Don't worry about the bolts that hold the rocker to the seattube. The thin metal is just remnants of the manufacturing process and will not affect the bolt. You can clean out the shavings if it bothers you.
    'The bolt that fell out has a tapered head. There is an identical bolt on the lower shock mount. Sourcing the bolt may be tough. There is a thread addressing the same issue but I don't know which one it is. I was able to buy OEM parts from someone on this site. I will send you a PM with his info and you can send him an email and see if he still has any parts left.

Also, make sure you go over all bolts and use loctite blue on all of them. Losing bolts is common for the 07 and later bikes. I lost one of my linkage bolts the first week but it was easily replaced with a non tapered bolt and washer but you cannot do it in your case.
    Good luck!

(not that fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Don't worry about the bolts that hold the rocker to the seattube. The thin metal is just remnants of the manufacturing process and will not affect the bolt. You can clean out the shavings if it bothers you.
    'The bolt that fell out has a tapered head. There is an identical bolt on the lower shock mount. Sourcing the bolt may be tough. There is a thread addressing the same issue but I don't know which one it is. I was able to buy OEM parts from someone on this site. I will send you a PM with his info and you can send him an email and see if he still has any parts left.

Also, make sure you go over all bolts and use loctite blue on all of them. Losing bolts is common for the 07 and later bikes. I lost one of my linkage bolts the first week but it was easily replaced with a non tapered bolt and washer but you cannot do it in your case.
    Good luck!
    Wormvine is one cool cat in my book. Thanks for helping me out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have ovalized the head of the same bolt, found almost identical bolt with much better quality in the first hardware store that i tried, well the tapered head is a little shorter, but I don't think it's a problem. Get the bolt from the other site of the shock and start looking. Good luck.

(not that fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by pe6u
    I have ovalized the head of the same bolt, found almost identical bolt with much better quality in the first hardware store that i tried, well the tapered head is a little shorter, but I don't think it's a problem. Get the bolt from the other site of the shock and start looking. Good luck.
    I thought about it, but I didn't want to risk it on someone else's bike.

I ordered a kit from East Coast Cycles.

Thanks