Thread: MKIII Value?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

MKIII Value?

As I just don't get to ride any more, I am thinking of selling my MKIII. It started life as the grey comp and I have upgraded nearly everything but the shocks (always worked well for me). How would I go about establishing a ballpark value?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    you won't get much! Search ebay for completed listings; the few MKIIs that do eventually sell don't get much. Or for a rough idea take the price you paid and subtract at least 50%. Used bikes never go for as much as you want, but with IH out of business you'll get even less. Personally I would try to sell the components seperately and keep the frame, you'll make more that way- I've seen brand new frames go for $250. I bought a new rear triangle for my MKIII for $36.00 .

Dropshot Champ!
    I thought about parting out my mk3, white comp, recon w/ pike motion control, m775 xt brakes, x7/x9 drivetrain, upgraded wheels. It just wouldn't get much. It also wouldn't get much selling it whole.

Now I keep it as the lend to friends bike, or lend to gf bike.

They're such awesome bikes, but I hopped on an ibis and that ih just collects dust.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by norton05 View Post
    I bought a new rear triangle for my MKIII for $36.00 .
    whoa... didn't think you coudl still find them, especially for that low. I sold my mkIII about 1.5 years ago (for a hefty $1200 mind you) and I got an Ibis Mojo because all the crack issues and not being able to find any rear triangles... If you were lucky to find one they were 250+. Out of curiousity where did you find one ? is someone actually making those again ???

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    whoa... didn't think you coudl still find them, especially for that low. I sold my mkIII about 1.5 years ago (for a hefty $1200 mind you) and I got an Ibis Mojo because all the crack issues and not being able to find any rear triangles... If you were lucky to find one they were 250+. Out of curiousity where did you find one ? is someone actually making those again ???

Bought it on Ebay from 'Sports Garage'. They were selling IH parts for a while. They are located in Boulder, just like Randall Scott- probably some more underhanded BS going on there yet again but I don't care any more. IH stuff still pops up in their store now and then. Also 'Crosslake Sales' on Ebay has had new old stock IH frames and parts for sale sometimes.

I had already decided to replace my MKII as it's had a cracked rear tri for like the past 500 miles. Nobody else bid on the rear so I figured it was a sign from the ghost of Iron Horse, it's even the right color