Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MKIII pivot "play"

5K views 68 replies 26 participants last post by  jibco 
#1 ·
I have about 50-75mi on my MKIII and I'm already expereriencing some play in the rear pivots of the bike. I have not been able to locate the source of the play yet and I was wondering if anybody has had a similar problem and if so where was the play?

Also I checked the bushings on the 5th element and it doesn't seem to be coming from there.

#9 ·
stosh said:
I could come down the day of the races for the US Open. Would that be ok?
That'll work great! Just stop by the Mad Catz trailer and I'll take a look at it.

I think the "play" y'all are refering to is a combo of two things.

1. ID of Progressive reducer hardware is on high side of tolerance (approx 8.05mm). Shock pin is on tolerance at 7.98mm. Progressive is re-making hardware to hold a tight tolerance (8.02mm). These are expected in within the next 2 weeks.
2. Spherical joint has small amount of inherant play.

-ska todd

#10 ·
ska todd said:
That'll work great! Just stop by the Mad Catz trailer and I'll take a look at it.

1. ID of Progressive reducer hardware is on high side of tolerance (approx 8.05mm). Shock pin is on tolerance at 7.98mm. Progressive is re-making hardware to hold a tight tolerance (8.02mm). These are expected in within the next 2 weeks.

-ska todd
I had my local shop do a one over on it and he can't figure out where it's coming from. His first thought was the shock as well because over the past couple years the rubber bushings wear on the 5th element and add some play however he couldn't find anything around that shock that was causing it. I'll take another look at it after my ride tonight and see if I can't come up with anything.

Thanks Todd and I look forward to seeing you at the Open.

#11 ·
ska todd said:

-ska todd
hey todd i will need one, dont forget meeeeeeeeeeee

#12 ·
I thought this was a known issue?

rick watts said:
hey todd i will need one, dont forget meeeeeeeeeeee
Mine has it too, a small amount of play in the lower shock mount, you notice it only when you pick up the bike. I thought this was a known issue though, something about the hardware down there being 1mm too long or something? It's an issue on Sundays too right? My shop told be it was aware of it and new parts were going to be sent to them...

#17 ·
Any update on the MKIII hardware???

ska todd said:
We should have MkIII hdwr in a cpl weeks. It is on order from Progressive.

-ska todd
I purchased a MK III Expert about 3-4 weeks ago from the Ventura S-Go. I also have the same 'play' in the shock pivots. S-Go tells me that they have been in contact with Iron Horse, but they're not sure when the new hardware will be available. Does anyone have an update on this? I love the bike and I hope I'm not causing any damage to it by riding it this way. Thanks!

#24 ·
stosh mine are on their way, did you just get different reducers that fit into the swivel that the shock end has? If you do not have side to side play in the rear end I would guess that the remaining slack is in the heim joints themselves, the swivels in each end of the shock.

#25 ·
KobaltBlau said:
stosh mine are on their way, did you just get different reducers that fit into the swivel that the shock end has? If you do not have side to side play in the rear end I would guess that the remaining slack is in the heim joints themselves, the swivels in each end of the shock.
Yeah they're different reducers that fit into the swivel in the shock end. It's not a side to side play either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.