Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MKIII Photos

109K views 487 replies 118 participants last post by  ironhorsemk3 
#1 · (Edited)
edit: don't know why my post is posting first

(pics before I lowered post & adjusted stuff)

07 MkIII 21" frame
Fox Float R
Revelation 427 Dual Air
FSA Orbit Z Carbon
UCI stripe alloy machined spacers (prolly the coolest part on my bike :) )
X.0 RD & Trigger
X.9 FD
Race Face Deus XC
Crank Bros Candy Ti
Juicy Carbon
DT/Swiss XR1540
PC971
PG990 11/34T
WTB Raijin protos w/ lightweight tubes
Thomson Elite stem & post
Easton EA70 low rise
WTB Silverado w/ ti rails
ODI Ruffian MX lockons

-ska todd

See less See more
#103 ·
Acadian I like your new ride. Thats the one that I think might just make me start looking for my new ride after this seaon is over and try and find a close out deal on one. Very nice.Like that build alot. The red and the white look sweet. Anyways enjoy your new ride and wish it were mine.

Jan R
Ride On

#104 · (Edited)
Franken Bike

I just got my 06 MK III Team build from the shop. I had a lot of trouble getting the parts for this bike so it has alot of strange parts thrown on.
Take a look.....
Fork: 07 Pike 454 Dual Air
Front Derailleur: SHIMANO LX
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9
Shifters: SRAM X9
Brakes : Hayes El Camino`s W/ 6" ROTOR ( took em off my Faith)
Chain: SRAM 991 cross step
Crankset: Race Face XC
Cassette: SRAM PG-990
Pedals: Azonic X-tensions
Saddle: WTB ROCKET V
Seat Post: TRUVATIV XR
Handlebar: Easton Havoc
Stem: Easton Havoc
Grips: ODI Rouges
Rims: S-Types
Hubs: Hadley

#105 ·
Acadian did you have a 5Spot before the MkIII?
How do they compare? I've got a couple of Turners, 5 Pack and one of the 4X proto's, but the new MkIII looks very interesting and most reviews are very positive too. I have seen some negative review too, TS was one along with some UK mag reviews, and this makes me wonder if it's a bike that splits opinions love/hate? I think TS may have had an issue with the 5th air that was the shock of choice at the time as I've not seen a lot of positive feedback on them.

#106 ·
Paul5s said:
Acadian did you have a 5Spot before the MkIII?
How do they compare? I've got a couple of Turners, 5 Pack and one of the 4X proto's, but the new MkIII looks very interesting and most reviews are very positive too. I have seen some negative review too, TS was one along with some UK mag reviews, and this makes me wonder if it's a bike that splits opinions love/hate? I think TS may have had an issue with the 5th air that was the shock of choice at the time as I've not seen a lot of positive feedback on them.
Paul,

What's up? Yes I had a 5Spot before my first Mk, we actually chatted a few time over on the Turner form.

Here is a link to the Mk review I did for Pinkbike last year. If you read between the lines, you can tell I'm comparing my Mk to my 5Spot:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Long-Term-Review-SRAM-kitted-Iron-Horse-MkIII.html

Proper shock setup is KEY on the Mk. I tried several shocks on this bike, including stock RP3, Pushed AVA, RockShox Pearl, etc… and I can honestly say that if the bike is poo, the bike will also feel like it ;)

The best setup I've found is funning either a Pushed AVA or Pushed RP3 with high volume sleeve :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I heart my Mk - best damn trail bike I have ever owned.

#107 ·
Acadian thanks for replying...

I remember now speaking to you about the MK at the time, and I kind of guessed that it was the 5Spot that was the comparison bike the numbers just added up :thumbsup:

I'm looking at an '07 team frame with the Fox shock-RP23 or RP3? I do have a Pearl 3.3 190 x 50 which would fit, you need a spare shock or two to be a true homer ;) :rolleyes:

Is the 'big can' the same as the DHX-A version?

Maybe I need some Horse Power...

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

#108 · (Edited)
Paul5s said:
Acadian thanks for replying...

I remember now speaking to you about the MK at the time, and I kind of guessed that it was the 5Spot that was the comparison bike the numbers just added up :thumbsup:

I'm looking at an '07 team frame with the Fox shock-RP23 or RP3? I do have a Pearl 3.3 190 x 50 which would fit, you need a spare shock or two to be a true homer ;) :rolleyes:

Is the 'big can' the same as the DHX-A version?

Maybe I need some Horse Power...

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
hahaah...don't need to be a homer to own (or want to try) different shocks :D

you know, I'm not sure if the can on the DHX-A and my RP3 are the same size. I can check when I get home tonight and get back to you? I have a DHX-a on my 6Point which I can compare with.

the little can I had on the RP3 didn't feel AS good, even Pushed! Seek an MKIII out and try one out for yourself. I'm just a strong believer in the dw*link, simply fit my riding style perfectly and feels right! On some of my regular trails, there are some sections where the back wheel of the 5-spot felt like it was hitting a square edge and slowing you down - this both while climbing and descending. I don't get that with the Mk.

I run flat pedals on all my bikes, so I tend to "mash" and "scrub" a lot - and the anti-squat characteristics of the dw*link is something I noticed right away. I do most of my climbing seated and the Mk beats every other trail bike I've owned.

The only way to get a TRUE feeling for a bike is by:

1 - having the bike setup for YOU. Not only suspension, but like your favorite tires, preferred contact points, stem length, etc..

2 - riding the bike on familiar trails. Ideally ones you've been riding for a while.

3 - ride the bike for the extended period of time. you know how some days you are "one with the bike" but other days the bike is taking you for a ride? well you want to avoid trying a bike when feeling like the latter. one day rides on bikes like at On-Dirt Demo is meaningless to me. The only thing you can get out of that is the fit..that will give you a good idea what size you might need..but not much more than that if you ask me.

Ride on!

#110 ·
Acadian said:
hahaah...don't need to be a homer to own (or want to try) different setups :D

you know, I'm not sure if the can on the DHX-A and my RP3 are the same size. I can check when I get home tonight and get back to you? I have a DHX-a on my 6Point which I can compare with.
:thumbsup: that would be great thanks...

Acadian said:
the little can I had on the RP3 didn't feel AS good, even Pushed! Seek an MKIII out and try one out for yourself. I'm just a strong believer in the dw*link, simply fit my riding style perfectly and feels right! On some of my regular trails, there are some sections where the back wheel of the 5-spot felt like it was hitting a square edge and slowing you down - this both while climbing and descending. I don't get that with the Mk.
Aaah I know that feeling I used to think it was just me

Acadian said:
I run flat pedals on all my bikes, so I tend to "mash" and "scrub" a lot - and the anti-squat characteristics of the dw*link is something I noticed right away. I do most of my climbing seated and the Mk beats every other trail bike I've owned.
I run mostly on flats with 5-10 shoes :thumbsup: the Htail usually ends up on clips for xc trails as I've ridden fully for so long my technique on rough trails with a Htail is rubbish and I end up bouncing my feet off the pedals { warning skills failure } :rolleyes: :lol:

Acadian said:
The only way to get a TRUE feeling for a bike is by:

1 - having the bike setup for YOU. Not only suspension, but like your favorite tires, preferred contact points, stem length, etc..

2 - riding the bike on familiar trails. Ideally ones you've been riding for a while.

3 - ride the bike for the extended period of time. you know how some days you are "one with the bike" but other days the bike is taking you for a ride? well you want to avoid trying a bike when feeling like the latter. one day rides on bikes like at On-Dirt Demo is meaningless to me. The only thing you can get out of that is the fit..that will give you a good idea what size you might need..but not much more than that if you ask me.
this is a problem as no locals own one and there are no LBS around with bikes any where near me. The only dealer with any '07 frames in stock doesn't sell the full bikes only frames. Size is less of a problem as I'd be on a 15" the 17" is too long in the top tube when compared to my current rides. My old 5Spot was a small and so is my 5/6 Pack. So I'm trying to gauge ride feel from reviews and it helps when I know what they are coming off :thumbsup:

Acadian said:

#111 ·
24 hours later;

Got me home in one piece & our team second in 4 men teams at the Kellevie 24 this weekend. No problem apart from the pivots are creaking a little & 1 puncture. Luckily it was right next to the camp & no-one minded me getting a little team assistance. DT E540 rims are a total nightmare for changing tyres, needed 3 steel tyre levers to get off & on.
Apart from that, being able to ride & not having to think too much was bliss.

#112 ·
KiwiJohn said:
24 hours later;

Got me home in one piece & our team second in 4 men teams at the Kellevie 24 this weekend. No problem apart from the pivots are creaking a little & 1 puncture. Luckily it was right next to the camp & no-one minded me getting a little team assistance. DT E540 rims are a total nightmare for changing tyres, needed 3 steel tyre levers to get off & on.
Apart from that, being able to ride & not having to think too much was bliss.
We need more pictures with stories like this. Awesome picture.

#125 ·
SnowTown said:
What are you guys using as chain stay protector?
Poly spiral wrap. This is not the same size we have on the website. It's a larger size we'll have available in a about a week. It's a perfect fit for MKIII (after some custom cutting to dodge a weld). It stays put and is very tough. Doesn't turn into a dust bag, either. From distance you can't even see it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.