Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MKIII Photos

109K views 487 replies 118 participants last post by  ironhorsemk3 
#1 · (Edited)
edit: don't know why my post is posting first

(pics before I lowered post & adjusted stuff)

07 MkIII 21" frame
Fox Float R
Revelation 427 Dual Air
FSA Orbit Z Carbon
UCI stripe alloy machined spacers (prolly the coolest part on my bike :) )
X.0 RD & Trigger
X.9 FD
Race Face Deus XC
Crank Bros Candy Ti
Juicy Carbon
DT/Swiss XR1540
PC971
PG990 11/34T
WTB Raijin protos w/ lightweight tubes
Thomson Elite stem & post
Easton EA70 low rise
WTB Silverado w/ ti rails
ODI Ruffian MX lockons

-ska todd

See less See more
#29 ·
Thanks for this thread guys - I have been debating one of these bad boys - just have to figure out how to free up some $$

Also - what is up with the post order? I have noticed this sometimes on other threads on MTBR but they seem to be almost randomly placed. Here the most recent post is in the middle and the last one I see is two days ago. Maybe I just have a psycho connection

#33 ·
dbabuser said:
What's it getting replaced with? 6 point?
Got my wife's '06 expert built up Fri. I am a little jealous...
Anybody running a revelation on their mkiii's?
My 06 Comp came with the Revelation fork stock. It is sweet. Being a big guy, the ability to adjust the fork through air pressure and the fork adjustments have been huge for me. It's also light.

#37 ·
The birthing process...:eek: Just post chasing and facing and fork installation...the white on white is super sexy;)

Some things I immediately noticed. This frame is MUCH different from the 05, 06 frames. 1) it's lighter by about 3/4 lb for a 19" (mine weighed in at 6.8 with cups and collar on the shops scale), 2) The tubing is definitely different...and very sexy, 3) the new rear triangle is a welcome change...those who experienced flex and tire rub will probably be quite happy, 4) the 10mm hardware + Fox air shock is great...NO REAR END PLAY:thumbsup:

In short I'm very excited to this dear girl built up to ride...

Attachments

#38 ·
EvilBkr said:
The birthing process...:eek: Just post chasing and facing and fork installation...the white on white is super sexy;)

Some things I immediately noticed. This frame is MUCH different from the 05, 06 frames. 1) it's lighter by about 3/4 lb for a 19" (mine weighed in at 6.8 with cups and collar on the shops scale), 2) The tubing is definitely different...and very sexy, 3) the new rear triangle is a welcome change...those who experienced flex and tire rub will probably be quite happy, 4) the 10mm hardware + Fox air shock is great...NO REAR END PLAY:thumbsup:

In short I'm very excited to this dear girl built up to ride...
nice and sexy indeed. mine was supposed to be here today - BUT Iron Hose shipped it to the wrong address :nono: after a few phone calls to UPS they will deliver it tomorrow :thumbsup:

- does the frame really need facing/chasing? Asking since I didn't do anything to my 06
- 10mm hardware will be nice but my 06 Mk NEVER suffered any rear end play! I rode it a lot and hard and I've never had a nanometer of slop. :thumbsup:

#41 ·
Acadian said:
nice and sexy indeed. mine was supposed to be here today - BUT Iron Hose shipped it to the wrong address :nono: after a few phone calls to UPS they will deliver it tomorrow :thumbsup:

- does the frame really need facing/chasing? Asking since I didn't do anything to my 06
- 10mm hardware will be nice but my 06 Mk NEVER suffered any rear end play! I rode it a lot and hard and I've never had a nanometer of slop. :thumbsup:
Sucks that they got the wrong address.

The frame is actually quite well prepped from the factory, so it's not a big deal. All I did was clean the paint from the outside of the BB shell, and face the disk tabs.

I'm running Maggy Louise FR's, so it's critical that I get the tabs parallel and even IS direct mount brake and all. Most people won't have a problem, but my tabs were slightly off. After facing the brake mounted up with no issues and is running completely drag free.

I actually stopped having rear end play on my old MKIII after I blew up the Progressive and replaced it with an MC3.1. The rear end play seems to be an issue with the Heim Joints on the Progressive.

Anyway, I hope to get some trail time this afternoon:thumbsup:

#44 ·
Acadian said:
My 19" comes in at 6.72 with cups and collar. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good stuff...well within the acceptable standard of deviation I'd say. Can't wait to see your build. :cool:

Chris2fur, thanks for the comment. The seatpost is part of my Thomson post collection (i've managed to acquire several in the past coupla years). I'm running it for the time being to see if I want to get a post with an offset or not...though so far everything feels pretty good :).

#49 ·
I just finished a 10 mile ride with a few guys that ride faster then I usually do. The terrain was fast fast pine grove single track. The rolling stuff was awesome and the bike ate it up like magic. BUT, the long up hills pretty smooth. After my momentum ran out and I needed to start pumping hard(you know what I'm talking about) I definatly had some pedal bob. I imagen it must have something to do with the shock set? Any thoughts? :confused:

#50 ·
airtym said:
I just finished a 10 mile ride with a few guys that ride faster then I usually do. The terrain was fast fast pine grove single track. The rolling stuff was awesome and the bike ate it up like magic. BUT, the long up hills pretty smooth. After my momentum ran out and I needed to start pumping hard(you know what I'm talking about) I definatly had some pedal bob. I imagen it must have something to do with the shock set? Any thoughts? :confused:
Just to clarify, were you "pumping hard" while seated or standing? The bike will bob when pumping out of the saddle (it's no hardtail race bike with a platform front shock!). However, while seated, my current rig has no pedal bob even when I'm tired and my pedalling form goes from circles to just plain mashing. That's with 30% sag and 50 psi in my "platform" chamber with the 5th Element. I guess it could be shock related in your case. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.