mtbr member

MKIII 650b conversion?

Toying with this thought in my mind. The only bike that comes close in geometry would be the Turner 5 Spot and I've seen a few converted to 650b with just a wheel set alone. I need to borrow one to see if it clears front and rear at full compression.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mine clears a 26" 2.25 tire with 3 to 10mm to spare, depending on how bent my rim is. I'd think a 650 rim could probably fit, but you'd have to run such small tires it wouldn't be worth it.

edit: ok so I had to go measure, and I really doubt it will work. I've got maybe 10mm between tire and seatstays, which might be ok, but even less between tire and chainstay yoke. If my tire moved forward even a few mm it would rub. As it is, it catches rocks more than I like.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I don't think there is enough room in the back triangle, either - it's already really tight back there. A Frankenstein might be cool though - a 27.5" up front and 26" rear? Do you have a 27.5 wheel that you can throw on and try? Silly question, but will a 27.5 wheel fit a 26" fork - doesn't seem like there would be enough clearance? Would slacken the head angle a bit - I have a new headset coming on Friday to do just this - external bearing bottom - I might get a degree or so out of it.

mtbr member
    You might be right in regards to the rear. Just eyeballing it....the top edge of the tire towards the seat post is less than a 1/4". About 1/2" from the sidewalls to the chain stay. A decent amount of space on the front though. I'm working on borrowing a set of 650b wheels to at least test fit the front but I am worried about the slacker angle. I'm not certain how an extra 1.5" translates to 'X' number of degrees. Took a few photos but didn't come out spectacular. I'm currently running 2.35 Schwalbe Rocket Ron's and I wouldn't want to go smaller than that.