Thread: MK3 Team

mtbr member

MK3 Team

So has anyone had a 2005ish IH Mk3 for many years and has not broken the rear triangle?

I have had this bike for like 3 years now and do some fairly aggressive am riding and keep wondering if I am going to break it.

I have seen many instances of guys breaking the rear triangles and I know that I would likely play hell getting a new one.

I just got a new fork and thru other maintenance / upgrades, it is practically a new bike now and now i am worried about sinking $$ into an old bike.

I am thinking that if it has not broken by now, it is not likely going to break and I have a couple more years with it.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have almost 4 years of constant use on mine ( '08 MK3 Comp) and it's still going strong. I always check it before and after every ride, especially after seeing all the threads on this board, but I doubt it will break. I agree with you- it would have by now if it was going to. I just got new wheels for mine and I'm shopping for an angleset, and I really don't feel like I'm risking anything on an old ride.

Personally I feel I've gotten my $$ worth and then some out of this frame, so if it breaks I won't be too sad. It was scary buying a brand new bike, finding out the frame liked to crack, then watching my warranty go bye bye all in the same month. But now, if my MK3 ever dies it's Santa Cruz Nickel time and I'm OK with that

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For what it's worth, I started riding MkIII frames in '07 and I've broken two of them, in that time. The swingarms are still intact on both bikes though; it was the front triangle that I broke in each instance.

I think keeping the rear skewer (or whatever it is that you use for attaching the rear wheel's axle to the frame) as tight as possible is key to keeping the rear triangle healthy. I use a DT Swiss RWS skewer and make it as tight as I possibly can. My theory is that the stiffer this connection is, the less the rest of the triangle will be able to flex.

I think rider weight is another factor. Obviously, the lighter you are, the less you stress the frame - all other things being equal of course. (This might not be true if a lighter rider were to ride more aggressively than a heavier rider.)

Another factor is the number of stress cycles the frame has seen. Aluminum has no fatigue limit. Materials like steel which have a fatigue limit can be stressed repeatedly and, so long as that limit is not exceeded, they will not fail. Aluminum does not have this property. It will eventually break under repeated stress.

mtbr member
    Cool, thank you for that, I would not consider myself an overly aggressive rider, not afraid of rock gardens and drops up to three feet or so with decent transition so I dont really abuse the bike, I think I still ride it within its limits.

I think I am good to keep this bike for a couple more years, at lease. Them move up to something a little more raked out.

Thanks,

jeff

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I"m a super agro rider and have still yet to crack mine after 4 hard years.keeping everything stiff in the back could do it, I've been running a 12mm thru axle that steps down to 10mm at the drop outs. Also running the old style m800 saint mech that bolts onto the axle directly.... reading all these cracking threads - going to go over my frame with an eagle eye right now...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiz View Post
    I"m a super agro rider and have still yet to crack mine after 4 hard years.keeping everything stiff in the back could do it, I've been running a 12mm thru axle that steps down to 10mm at the drop outs. Also running the old style m800 saint mech that bolts onto the axle directly.... reading all these cracking threads - going to go over my frame with an eagle eye right now...
    What year is yours? I saw a 2008 at the bike park the other day and his rear triangle seems to be more beefy than mine, I think iron horse fixed the issue on the later models.

Dropshot Champ!
    i've broken 1 front and 2 or 3 rears on a 2008, they definitely didn't fix the issue.

bike is still going strong. non-setback post and short stem, now the gf "gets by" on a large, even though it's still too big for her.

mtbr member
    You guys are making me nervous! I have an '06 that I bought new in '08.

I've only really been riding it a lot for the last 2 years. Lots of long ups and techy abusive downs. (Fromme in north van)

I've only upgraded the brakes ( to juicy 5s, ha!), shock (to an rp2), and wheels. (Stan's flows on ztr HD). Bars, stem and grips too... Oh, ha, I almost forgot, I also put in a works components -2 deg angle set headset. And i run HR supertackies The thing pretty much rips.

Still going strong. I dread the day that it breaks, but I honestly don't know what more I could do to be any harder on it.

Thing I'll be "outgrowing" it for a Remedy soon. It's going to be quite an adjustment, I expect.

Vive la difference, though, right?

MK3 Team-imageuploadedbytapatalk1347077927.574882.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by da peach View Post
    You guys are making me nervous! I have an '06 that I bought new in '08.

I've only really been riding it a lot for the last 2 years. Lots of long ups and techy abusive downs. (Fromme in north van)

I've only upgraded the brakes ( to juicy 5s, ha!), shock (to an rp2), and wheels. (Stan's flows on ztr HD). Bars, stem and grips too... Oh, ha, I almost forgot, I also put in a works components -2 deg angle set headset. And i run HR supertackies The thing pretty much rips.

Still going strong. I dread the day that it breaks, but I honestly don't know what more I could do to be any harder on it.

Thing I'll be "outgrowing" it for a Remedy soon. It's going to be quite an adjustment, I expect.

Vive la difference, though, right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347077927.574882.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	722396
    Toyday is a very nice bike you have there! I love mine and I'm about to sell it on crags list, it had been a great bike, my first real bike and it did its job well.

Just look it over once in s while, if you want, I can post the cracks that I had so you can sees what to look for.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have an '06 MKIII Comp that I bought new in Sept '07 and has been my only bike ever since. I don't ride in the winter months (Nov-March) but ride once or twice a week the rest of the year and mine is still going strong and I ride it fairly hard with annual trips to Fruita and Moab.

da peach - which angle set fits? My main complaint is the 69.5 HTA, and -2 degree angle set could be just the ticket.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm running this one 2 0 Degree EC44 - EC44 - Angle Headset
    Works a treat