mtbr member

mk3 shock replacement help

mk3 shock replacement help-image.jpgmk3 shock replacement help-image.jpgI bought a used 2005 frame recently and just blew out the shock. i dont know what model it is or make. all stickers have been removed to identify it prior to my purchase.

Ill post some pictures this weekend.

it measures 7.75 eye to eye. the eyelets have a bearing installed rather than sleeves + spacers that i am used to. in my other bikes.

my budget is is a little thin at the moment but i would still like to put a decent shock back in.

rider: 220 lbs. I dont treat it gently or pick smooth lines.
    looking for durable & light
    air spring
    compression and rebound control dont care if it has lock out

Is a piggyback shock a better option?

any help is appreciated. Ive been riding the same bikes for the last 6-7 years and havent paid too much attention to upgrading parts. I have been very content with my other bikes until now, I dont know what is out there in terms of good options.
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

mtbr member
    Can anyone verify the correct shock size for an 05 mk3 team. I have a spare rs. monarch laying around for one of my other bikes. Its 7.5 eye to eye. I assume it will work in function, but if it is an incorrect size how noticeable will the difference be?
    Last edited by laackund; 08-17-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: additional information
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Proud owner of a 2008 MKIII here. All years of MKIII take a 7.5 x 2.0 shock as far as I know. If you get the wrong size, you may damage your bike as there's no extra room for a longer shock (tire will hit seat tube I think). You also need to make sure it is tuned for low leverage- rebound and compression tunes are both Low. I tried a shock with valving for higher leverage and the whole bike felt broken, so be sure to get the right tune. Fox Float R/RP23 in the right size can usually be found on Ebay for around $150-200. A shock with compression adjustment will cost quite a bit more, and I always wanted one. I can tune mine well enough by changing the air pressure so I never spent the money. But it would have been cool to have.

I know the bearings in your shock eyelets aren't stock. A lot of people put those in and liked it, so leave em if they work I guess?

I've tried some of the popular new bikes and my MKIII is just as good if not better! I won't be replacing it until it breaks...again. I doubt I'll find another rear triangle at this point

mtbr member
    this forum sure has turn into a ghost town....

I rechecked my old shock several times and it is in fact 200mm /7.8in from eye to eye. side by side next to my monanarch its just a bit taller. So i assume that either the old one (5th element) is intended to be longer eye to eye by the manufacturer or it has been swapped out at somepoint by a previous owner.

i honestly hated the 5th element shock so i'm not crushed that it is dead. But i am surprised that i cant find any archives of the actual measurements outside of a few random forum posts here.

I have to agree though, i dont want to pump too much money into parts specific to this frame. I got it cheap and had spare parts laying around to build it up to my preference. I dont expect to find a new rear triangle if it breaks, but i am hoping that i can have it welded if its minor and get at least 2 seasons out of it. My wife was reluctant to let me keep it the way it is, im up to 8 bikes in the garage now... it wouldnt be too tragic if its a loss down the road. keeping my fingers crossed in the mean time.

edit: are you going off memory or were you able to take an actual eye to eye measurement?

I have no fit issues with the current 5th element that is 200mm... i am considering sticking with this size to maintain a little extra bb height and pedal clearance.

edit again: Im just going to use the monarch. does anyone have the measurements of the spacers to mount the new shock? accurate way of measuring what i need?
    Last edited by laackund; 08-21-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    are you going off memory or were you able to take an actual eye to eye measurement
    It's actually printed on my frame as part of the graphics

5th Element and IH were always weird, for instance the 7points that shipped with 5ths got a different size than the ones that had Fox or Marz shocks. I know there is a thread on here where we discussed this with DW the frame designer, but it's been a long time since I've seen it. He did say that increasing shock stroke for more travel would fuxx your frame but I don't remember if eye-to-eye was as crucial. Apparently not, if you're riding it!

You need 30mmx10mm reducers to mount your shock on a stock setup, but with those bearing things in there it's going to be different. I think with those you need a 6mm bolt instead? Enduroforkseals.com sells those bearings, you might check with them. I hear the Monarch is a nice shock, good luck with it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norton05 View Post
    It's actually printed on my frame as part of the graphics

5th Element and IH were always weird, for instance the 7points that shipped with 5ths got a different size than the ones that had Fox or Marz shocks. I know there is a thread on here where we discussed this with DW the frame designer, but it's been a long time since I've seen it. He did say that increasing shock stroke for more travel would fuxx your frame but I don't remember if eye-to-eye was as crucial. Apparently not, if you're riding it!

You need 30mmx10mm reducers to mount your shock on a stock setup, but with those bearing things in there it's going to be different. I think with those you need a 6mm bolt instead? Enduroforkseals.com sells those bearings, you might check with them. I hear the Monarch is a nice shock, good luck with it
    That is interesting that they would use different shock sizes on the same frame. Wish I had followed it at the time.

Would the 30x10 be for the top and bottom? I'll check it when I'm home if they are both the same size. I'm guessing the bottom is smaller in width.

I am thinking about just going for regular spacers over bearings. I don't know that it will give me any longer life or stiffness in one over the other.

Thanks for the help!!
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9