Black Lion

MKIII Hollowpoint demo

I got my hands on a 17" MKIII from my buds Bike shop and will be riding it this weekend. This could be my next frame so I am stoked to be able to ride this machine. The thing looks insane in person.

Any imput or questions would be appreciated or welcome
    Last edited by yogreg; 12-03-2004 at 07:22 PM.
    Voltron

Riding a Rig.
    awesome. Let me know how you like it, its very likely going to be my next bike.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Which model of MKlll do you have to ride?

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by COMMITTED
    Which model of MKlll do you have to ride?
    It is the expert model. Some parts have been changed. Wheels, brakes, and some drivetrain components.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Verrryyy Cool

kona & ironhorse:SUPERIOR
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    awesome. Let me know how you like it, its very likely going to be my next bike.

Vulcan,

I tested a 17" demo expert at my local shop and took it out for a bit. It was amazing... rear suspension design is very intelligent and flawless. Pike was sweet too, and the u-turn system has very much improved over the last couple years (MUCH more precise). pretty light and a just amazing ride... blows away other suspension designs! Might get a 19 though cause around 6 feet.

--middysmitty

Riding a Rig.
    I expected good feedback. I'm either going to go for the comp or expert. I'm pretty sure the expert is just going to be more than can afford. I'm not sure if a 19" or 21" would be beter for me. The fitting guide I used on wrench science reccomended 20", with me being about 6'-1/2". I look forward to riding one in the spring.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

Black Lion

I love this bike

more to come....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Voltron

mtbr member
    yogreg - how tall are you, what size is that frame and how did it feel in terms of the top tube length?

What's your guestimate on the weight of that bike?

Thanks.

Mark

Riding a Rig.
    yeah it would be nice if you could weigh it and yourself on a bathroom scale and then subtract your weight to get an idea of what it weighs.
    -Dave Weagle

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by CTRider
    yogreg - how tall are you, what size is that frame and how did it feel in terms of the top tube length?

What's your guestimate on the weight of that bike?

Thanks.

Mark
    I am 5-10
    the frame is a 17
    top tube length was a bit shorter than my ride (Tracer) but I liked it as I got more used to the feel. I would like to have a 1/4 inch more seat post, but was maxed out with stock.
    I would say the bike weighed about 30lbs. It did feel heavier than the Tracer, but on the trail it was fine.

The bike is amazing. I rode it today on VERY Technical terrain. With 3-4ft drops, very steep rollers, step ups, rough rock gardens, and technical long climbs.
    The only thing I can say negative about this set-up is that the Pike fork was too soft for me. I weigh 190lbs.
    Other than that (which is nothing) this rig is amazing. It is very nimble on tight switchbacks up or down. The rear suspension is crazy smooth yet very efficient. I was trying to bottom it out and could not. The biggest plus felt about this bike was how it would do step-ups. You could load the rear suspension and it would just propell you forward and up, onto the biggest shelves of rock ledge. With the Tracer I have to use a lot of body movement and force to do the same moves.The MK did the same moves with very little effort. Then once up you are instantly in total balance, unreal.
    This just might be the perfect design for me and the terrain I ride. Great slow speed technical climber, even better descender, great on steep rocks up or down.
    Voltron

Riding a Rig.
    I'm curious, which travel level on the pike did the bike feel best at? I'm wondering because the reba only has 115mm of travel. It just seems like it would be better if the front and rear were matched.
    -Dave Weagle

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    I'm curious, which travel level on the pike did the bike feel best at? I'm wondering because the reba only has 115mm of travel. It just seems like it would be better if the front and rear were matched.

I ran the Pike at full travel the whole ride today.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The color

Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    more to come....

I was quick to dis the colors early on, but looking at your outside photo, that green actually looks pretty damn good! Man, I thought of buying an MK III Expert next year or a Titus Racer X (and keep my HP Expert of course), but decided on neither so I can save some coinage until I can get a new ride in 2006. But, seeing post like these really make me second guess myself.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Shoo Pork
    I was quick to dis the colors early on, but looking at your outside photo, that green actually looks pretty damn good! Man, I thought of buying an MK III Expert next year or a Titus Racer X (and keep my HP Expert of course), but decided on neither so I can save some coinage until I can get a new ride in 2006. But, seeing post like these really make me second guess myself.
    I like the color it grows on you.
    Last edited by yogreg; 12-06-2004 at 10:28 AM.
    Voltron

Stand back

Tracer set up

I like the color it grows on you.
    How is your Tracer set up? Travel/ fork/ shock? Just curious to see what you're comparing it to.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    How is your Tracer set up? Travel/ fork/ shock? Just curious to see what you're comparing it to.
    My Tracer is a '02 med.
    Fork is a Manitou Minute Three @ 5" travel
    Shock is a Fox Float 4" travel

I am a big fan of the Tracer and the horst link suspension in general. I feel as if all the trails and terrain I ride the Tracer tackles extremely well. But I do want for that extra inch or so of travel. I was skeptical about the MK before riding it, but was stoked on it afterwards.
    Last edited by yogreg; 12-06-2004 at 11:23 AM.
    Voltron

Stand back

Tracer's big brother

My Tracer is a '02 med.
    Fork is a Manitou Minute Three @ 5" travel
    Shock is a Fox Float 4" travel

I am a big fan of the Tracer and the horst link suspension in general. I feel as if all the trails and terrain I ride the Tracer tackles extremely well. But I do want for that extra inch or so of travel. I was skeptical about the MK before riding it, but was stoked on it afterwards.
    I have a Titus Switchblade w/ 5.25" linkage and a Pushed AVA Float. It climbs awesome (big improvement once I got the shock re-valved) and I've been curious how the HP/MK compares. I'm looking to get a big bike, so figure if the MKIII climbs at least as well as a good horst link, then the 7 Point should keep me from missing the SB too much.
    Thanks for the review!
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!