mtbr member
    Aug 2007

maverick 2.0 upgrades

i recently purchased a maverick 2.0 and the bike is doing me well but i have a tendency to upgrade and mess with everything i own. i was wondering what would be some "smart" upgrades to look into when a lil extra cash starts burning a hole in my wallett. i've already picked out some grips and have a seat in mind. and i'm getting better pedals not ready to go clipless yet(i fall enough not attached to the bike ) i was think hydro disc's my mech disc do alright.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I know nothing of your particular Maverick, but here's what I did with my Mav...

Any Luv for the lowly Maverick?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the maverick 2.0 is full suspension with a fox vanilla rear shock, rst gilla front, freedom mbx rims with 2.1 its ninja tires shimano acero drivetrain. mech disc. i'm not real concerned with cutting weight since i'm no speed racer and i figure a heavier bike will give a better workout. just lookin to make it durable. eventually i'd like to build a light weight 96er hardtail but thats aways off.

I wear two thongs
    A higher quality suspension setup would do wonders for the ride, it honesltly would feel like a whole new bike. Eventually as you become a more agressive rider the Acera drivetrain would be a smart thing to upgrade as well, this will for the most part gain you crisper shifting and stiffer cranks which will turn into more power going to the pedals, and the abilty to make that last minute shift before you hit different terrain alot more attainable.

Im not sure where your looking to go as far as riding terrain but also a stronger wheelset, would be a good idea as well if you start riding more abusive technical terrain. As for brakes, Hydraulic doesnt neccesarily mean better. Look into the Avid BB-7 Mech disks they offer a ton of power and are alot more user friendly than having to deal with Hydraulic brakes.

I know alot of the stuff that I mentioned can get quite pricey but IMHO these will make some of the biggest improvements to the way your bike rides. My general rule of thumb that I try to follow (unless I too have money burning a hole in my pocket) is to fix things as they break. that way if you blow your bank account on something that was working well then something unexpected breaks you tend to be without a ride untill you can scrape up more cash.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    should i look at uprgradeing the front or rear supension, or both. i guess i should say my intended use of the bike is recreational cross country. no tricks, big jumps, or crazy downhills etc. i cant afford to get hurt and miss work. basically a way to get out in the woods and cover more ground than hikeing and leave less impact than my jeep.

I wear two thongs
    Eventually both, If you notice now (well you may not notice untill you look) when you pedal you should see the suspension bobbing up and down. A nicer suspension setup with a platform system (fancy way of saying it has valves in it to limit suspension bob) will keep the bike from bouncing when you pedal and make your riding alot more efficient.

Granted take my posts with a grain of salt, others will most likely chime in and say ride the bike the way it is then eventually buy something nicer since its really easy to put more money into a bike upgrading it over time than it would be to just ride it in its stock form then buy something nicer when you feel the time has come.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i do notice the susp. work a little when pedaling but nothing like the old walmart clunker i was riding before. i coul;d not even stand up to pedal without it bounceing all over the place. i may just hold off of mods and build the bike i really want while rideing this one.

I wear two thongs
    Also theres alot of generic parts that will fit on most any frame. So if you want to go the route of building a bike to your specifications you can get away with buying things like wheels, handlebars, stem, rear derraileur, brakes, grips, saddle, pedals. This stuff is all pretty generic so you can use them to upgrade your current bike then when you want to build a new bike you can swap these parts into that new build.