mtbr member

Just bought an '04 HP Sport

Knowing nothing about the line except what I've read on the review pages and heard from acquaintances with Iron Horse rigs, I looked at the specs of the Hollowpoint Sport at Supergo, along with the sale price, and took the plunge. This will be my first FS rig, and definitely the first bike I've bought with so little personal experience of it. Reading this board and the posts from Iron Horse personnel goes a long way toward making me believe I made the right choice.

I ordered from Supergo.com (none of the stores in my area had my size in stock), and their website neglects to mention it takes 3-5 business days for a complete bike to ship. Looks like I won't be trying out the new ride this weekend.

Looking forward to gleaning as much knowledge as possible here, and contributing when I can.

First question: I've read the Hansventure tires that come standard on the Sport are rather heavy. What tires are your favorite for cross-country with a few technical climbs and descents?

Thx.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I've got a '03 Sport

...and it came with lighter tires than the '04, but I switched 'em anyway. If you're getting the bike from Supergo in a few days they'll be in their summer sale, so you can get a good deal on upgrades. I got a pair of Hutchison Pythons (good for the CA dry summer; I'll swith to Mythos XC IIs when it starts to rain), new bar and seatpost, seat and cushier grips (not all from Supergo) and the bike dropped 2 lbs. (right at 30# now, but I've got a large frame). My bike needs no more upgrades (although I should mention I got the updated rear triangle from IHB), but I might go to an 11-34 for the real steep stuff.

The Hollowpoint / DW-link is a great design. I've ridden a number of FS trail / racing bikes in the last two years, including the Blur, and except for the Yeti ASR design bikes, the Hollowpoint has performed best (and it ties the Yeti). Just do the setup right (1/3 sag in back, fork manufacturer's recommended sag in front to start with) and you'll see what I mean. Coming from a nice steel hardtail I was surprised just how good this bike climbs and carves the downhills, even at 4+ lbs. more than my other bike.

mtbr member
    Dusty, where do you ride. I live/ride in SoCal, and just took my Sport on its first trail ride. Nice!

Really a new experience riding rocky trails with full suspension. I followed my buddy off a 2' drop and it just soaked it up, no problem. I'm loving this thing so far.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

SoCal

When I get the chance I ride up by Castaic, but usually around Altadena. About a month ago I broke a rib and have just been riding the Mt. Wilson toll road and small offshoot trails. There are other good places around here, like above JPL, and I like riding Idlehour in the winter when the poison ivy is less thick and more visible. This time of year the thick powdery dust is a drag.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Congrats!

dusty,
    Congrats on your new ride. I am a very happy with my 03 HP Expert. I t came with pretty heavy UST tires (Maxxis something, I can't remember). Great tire for bombing down the hills but a big pig for all-day riding. I now ride non-UST python airlights (32 psi front/37 psi back) w/ Stan's goop on my UST Mavic 3.1. This tire completely kicks butt for me here in Ventura County, CA. Yeah, it is not as good for going dowhill as the original Maxxis, but I saved a pound of rotational wieght and still have the advantages tubeless. I have not flatted once in the past 6 months since using this new set up. But, I sure have been getting awesome grip, better handling, and much lower rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Moo Shoo, where are you in VTA Co? I live in Simi and ride all over the 805 and 818.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wood Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by SeamusCA
    Moo Shoo, where are you in VTA Co? I live in Simi and ride all over the 805 and 818.

Jim

Jim,

We are neighbors! Just moved to Wood Ranch a year ago from Chicago. Wife and I love living her in SoCa. I ride alot of Sycamore Canyon, Cheeseboro, and the Long Ranch Trail Head at 1st and Wood Ranch pkwy. I ride from house to the trail head at Long Ranch. Let me know if you ever want to hook up for a ride.

Pat

mtbr member

Right around the corner

I live near Fitzgerald and First.

Fiancee and I took our first hike up Long Canyon trail last week, and I was scouting it for riding the whole time. Apparently there is a whole system of interconnected trails that could take you from LC to Chesebro if you wanted a really long day. Have you checked out socalmtb.com yet? Good resource for trail reviews and updates.

We'll definitely have to hook up for a ride sometime. I hope you'll wait for me at the top of the climbs.

Jim <--- getting back into riding.