Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ironhorse Warrior TeamSE

22K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  mtdrew 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about the IH Warrior TeamSE?
I found one at Dick's Sporting Goods for $499. It seems like it has good components on it... Is it worth the money or is it overpriced and I should look into something else?
Does it even compare it the warrior line of bikes that are on the website? Thanks.

These are the components I am able to identify..

Rock Shox J-1 fork
Hayes IH-2 disc brakes
AL-6061 Frame
Shimano ST-EFX35 Shift Levers
TruVativ X-Flow Crank
Shimano CSHG30-8I Rear Cogs
Acera Shimano Rear Der.
Shimano C050 Fr. Der.
MythosXC 2.10F Tires
Weight 35 lbs

#4 ·
JasonScottCarter said:
I just got one of these at Dicks last week for $349.99. It was 499, but it has been on sale and marked down. I assume that the Dicks where you live will have it at the same price, around 350.
Seeing as how most of us tend to "upgrade" componentry anyway, dropping a paltry $350 for something you can ride TODAY is a killer deal.

#5 ·
I was just at Dick's last night and saw the same bike on sale for $299 and was going to pick it up as a second bike for beatin around town.

Maybe it's a better deal than I thought!

Where could I find sizing at? I'm 5' 11" with 32" inseam and the 19.5" was a tad small.

#7 ·
I hope you held out for a little--I just picked up this bike at Dick's for $299.00!!!!!:D I have never had a IH mtn bike, but my first road bike was an IH, and it was awesome. For $299--you can upgrade if you feel the need. You can not beat this deal.

#8 ·
Dick's Warrior SE Poor Service

I purchased a Warrior at Dick's Sporting Goods Store. After 4 hours of riding on city streets the Crank came off. The bike had a twisted shaft and an oblong hole where the crank meets the shaft. After a week Dick's ran a tap into the hole and installed a longer bolt as their repair. Of corse the bike needed new parts so the fix was not a fix at all. Now the bike is back after 15 Hours of riding and is sitting in Dick's for over a week now. They dont even stock parts. Dont Waste your money buying The warranty from Dick's. Us the money to upgrade the the parts. Dicks has IH put low end parts on the bike so they can sell it cheap.

#9 ·
I bought this bike a couple months ago from my local Dicks shop which has a bike shop setup, not just some bikes on a rack. Anyway I had a rep from Ironhorse look at it after I purchased it at the Blue MT. Festival he told me everything on the bike is strong the frame is garunteed for life & all the components are mid level. I may want to upgrade the pedals (which I did, I went clipless) & uprgade the derailleurs after a couple yrs, other then he said the bike is a steal for $500 but I know the guy that works in the bike shop so I got it for $299. when it was a $499 bike. This is my first bike to get me back into Mt. biking so I think I did ok for now, maybe in a couple yrs I will get something a lot better.

#10 ·
Iron Horse Warior TeamSE

Hey guys. I've checked out this thread and I need some more advice. I've been biking down unpaved roads and dusty hills with single speed eastrern european cruisers and other similar bikes since a little kid. Now that I've gotten some money I wanna get me a mountain bike. I'll be bringing it back to my country, Bulgaria, to try it out at those same spots, on some trails and hopefully take it for some downhilling at the mountain. I'm six feet tall, skinny guy, and the 21.5" frame fits me perfect. I just tried the TeamSE at a dick's. It felt alright, didn't like the response as much as the hardrock but of course, and it was selling for $350. I'm also looking at a 2005 or 6 warrior expert on ebay, almost brand new, starting bid $200 buy it now $500.

I am a very careful guy as to the level I can abuse things, and I could say that I am an experienced biker, even considering the gear I've used , but will be still probably hitting it fairly hard with this bike down hills and such at higher speeds. Jumps will be 4 feet max. I'm not really thinking about upgrading because I dont have much money right now. I'll ride it around the urban terrin as well too. So if I'm a beginner should I get the TeamSE or the Expert? Do you even thing the TeamSE will be able to withhold that abuse?

Keep in mind I wont be riding it a whole lot, and it will only be for a month or two during the summer.

#11 ·
aggrosk8bg said:
Hey guys. I've checked out this thread and I need some more advice. I've been biking down unpaved roads and dusty hills with single speed eastrern european cruisers and other similar bikes since a little kid. Now that I've gotten some money I wanna get me a mountain bike. I'll be bringing it back to my country, Bulgaria, to try it out at those same spots, on some trails and hopefully take it for some downhilling at the mountain. I'm six feet tall, skinny guy, and the 21.5" frame fits me perfect. I just tried the TeamSE at a dick's. It felt alright, didn't like the response as much as the hardrock but of course, and it was selling for $350. I'm also looking at a 2005 or 6 warrior expert on ebay, almost brand new, starting bid $200 buy it now $500.

I am a very careful guy as to the level I can abuse things, and I could say that I am an experienced biker, even considering the gear I've used , but will be still probably hitting it fairly hard with this bike down hills and such at higher speeds. Jumps will be 4 feet max. I'm not really thinking about upgrading because I dont have much money right now. I'll ride it around the urban terrin as well too. So if I'm a beginner should I get the TeamSE or the Expert? Do you even thing the TeamSE will be able to withhold that abuse?

Keep in mind I wont be riding it a whole lot, and it will only be for a month or two during the summer.

My TeamSe has been great. Granted I dumped about $700 into it for upgrades, but I have beaten it over & over again The components it comes with are lower grade but if you want to it is a great frame to build from. I say go for it, you really cant beat it for the price.

#13 ·
It is all personal preference really. I changed out everything on the bike except the front fork suspension & the hayes disc brakes.

changed the following
headset
handlebar
seatpost
saddle
grips
chain
front/read derialleurs
rims/tires
cables
EVERYTHING

#17 ·
I bought the same bike at Dick's

sportnmud said:
Anyone know anything about the IH Warrior TeamSE?
I found one at Dick's Sporting Goods for $499. It seems like it has good components on it... Is it worth the money or is it overpriced and I should look into something else?
Does it even compare it the warrior line of bikes that are on the website? Thanks.
I bought the same bike at Dick's last summer. They told me they picked up the IH bikes when they acquired Galyan's stores. The Warrior Team SE lists for $499, but goes on sale often for $349 & sometimes for $299. It has the same frame as the other hard-tail Warriors. The drive-train is low-end, with only 8-speed cassette & a pretty cheap front deurailler. I consider the other components mid-range (as long as you condider Welgo platform pedals mid-range). Anyway, I think it was an excellent deal for an entry level bike.

I'll echo a word of caution that has been mentioned already:
Don't let Dick's do any serious wrench work on the bike. They gave me a coupon for a free 30-day adjustment for the initial cable-stretch (like I really needed them to do that for me), but after that I won't go back. They take just about anybody off the street & call them a bike mechanic after a few hours of training. Sometimes they get lucky & get somebody who has an aptitude for it, but in my experience they will try stuff they have no clue about & don't have anybody knowledgeable that they can ask.

So go ahead & buy the bike at Dick's, but take it to the LBS or learn to DIY.

#18 ·
Nahhhh.....go for the 05 Warrior expert or race. They are both $599 at rscycle.com. If Dick's or Performancebikes has them for more, I'm sure they'll price match.
Dick's won't price match internet prices. I went in there last week to see if they'll match rscycle at 499 for the Warrior Trail. Dick's was on sale for 599 and they won't match. They said something like shipping and if you had a problem with the bike you'd have to ship it back, blah blah blah.

#19 ·
burtronix said:
I bought the same bike at Dick's last summer. They told me they picked up the IH bikes when they acquired Galyan's stores. The Warrior Team SE lists for $499, but goes on sale often for $349 & sometimes for $299. It has the same frame as the other hard-tail Warriors. The drive-train is low-end, with only 8-speed cassette & a pretty cheap front deurailler. I consider the other components mid-range (as long as you condider Welgo platform pedals mid-range). Anyway, I think it was an excellent deal for an entry level bike.

I'll echo a word of caution that has been mentioned already:
Don't let Dick's do any serious wrench work on the bike. They gave me a coupon for a free 30-day adjustment for the initial cable-stretch (like I really needed them to do that for me), but after that I won't go back. They take just about anybody off the street & call them a bike mechanic after a few hours of training. Sometimes they get lucky & get somebody who has an aptitude for it, but in my experience they will try stuff they have no clue about & don't have anybody knowledgeable that they can ask.

So go ahead & buy the bike at Dick's, but take it to the LBS or learn to DIY.
The bike is really a great deal. You can ride it as is & be fine or do what I did;) . I tore the bike down to the frame & replaced every component with high quality components, except the cranks, cassette, shifters & brakes. Everything else has been changed out right down to the cables.:thumbsup: The bike rides like a rocket & feels awesome over anything, the handling is incredible compared to stock & even compared to my buddies trek.

#20 ·
ironbike1 said:
The bike is really a great deal. You can ride it as is & be fine or do what I did;) . I tore the bike down to the frame & replaced every component with high quality components, except the cranks, cassette, shifters & brakes. Everything else has been changed out right down to the cables.:thumbsup: The bike rides like a rocket & feels awesome over anything, the handling is incredible compared to stock & even compared to my buddies trek.
I'm taking my time replacing components. The only thing I've done so far is replace a cable that Dick's bike tech mashed during installation & replaced the Wellgo platforms with clipless pedals. Just finished putting the Egg Beaters on, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. It's my 1st set of clipless & I want to get a good feel for them before trying anything technical.

Probably my next replacement will be wheels, since that's the biggest bang-for-buck in terms of weight reduction. I also find the front deurailleur anoying, but I won't change it out until I'm ready to upgrade the whole drive-train. I might get a different bike first.

#21 · (Edited)
burtronix said:
I'm taking my time replacing components. The only thing I've done so far is replace a cable that Dick's bike tech mashed during installation & replaced the Wellgo platforms with clipless pedals. Just finished putting the Egg Beaters on, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. It's my 1st set of clipless & I want to get a good feel for them before trying anything technical.

Probably my next replacement will be wheels, since that's the biggest bang-for-buck in terms of weight reduction. I also find the front deurailleur anoying, but I won't change it out until I'm ready to upgrade the whole drive-train. I might get a different bike first.
Thats what I wanted to do aswell to make it a budget build. I wanted to slowly replace things. I brought it back to have it's free 30 day check up & the kid was stupid so I walked out w/the bike & took it to my LBS. He charged me $20 but it was worth it. After that things started slowly dropping. First came the handlebar/stem. So I replaced them, then I did clipless, well here is a list & pic. Total cost of the build was around $1000 with the price of the frame included in that $1000. If I break it down to just upgrades I am looking at around $660, most of all the upgrades are Pricepoint.com or Ebay.:thumbsup: It cost a little more then I wanted to spend but the bike is awesome & extremly fun to ride so I am happy. Plus it gets all sorts of looks when I am at the local trails & my friend allways wants to ride it instead of his Trek, he says it is like a rocket on wheels. Which is a pretty cool thing, makes one feel good about the work they did.

handlebar - easton monkeylight bar ea70
stem - sette edge 90mm
seatpost - sette spx
saddle - wtb pure v
pedals - shimano m520
wheelset - mavic crossride
fork - (not installed in this pic, I will update the pic Saturday) Manitou R7 Elite
Front Tire - Mythos xc
Rear Tire - Panaracer Fire Pro Xc
Grips - lizard skin moab lock on
Chain - sram powerlink (not on in pic)
Front Derialleur - Shimano Xt
Rear " - Shiamno Xt
cables - shimano xtr
headset - fsa orbit XL II

#23 ·
Looks good ironbike, much better with the new fork. I gotta ask you a few things. The FSA orbit you installed, is it for 1 1/8, threadless? How much steerer tube dd you need for the new fork, and you got any idea by how much the weight dropped after you put in the mavics? oh and you know if the brakes can be adjusted to accept like and 8 inch rotor lets say?

Yea, they dropped down the TeamSE to 300, and I'm probably gonna get it, but its looking like I should insvest a bunch for new parts. I need your help man.

See ya

#24 ·
aggrosk8bg said:
Looks good ironbike, much better with the new fork. I gotta ask you a few things. The FSA orbit you installed, is it for 1 1/8, threadless? How much steerer tube dd you need for the new fork, and you got any idea by how much the weight dropped after you put in the mavics? oh and you know if the brakes can be adjusted to accept like and 8 inch rotor lets say?

Yea, they dropped down the TeamSE to 300, and I'm probably gonna get it, but its looking like I should insvest a bunch for new parts. I need your help man.

See ya
-The FSA headset is 1 1/8 threadless.
-Not sure what you mean about Steerer tube DD? However I needed to cut 2" off of the new fork steerer tube to fit it to my liking. The tube on the R7 was 10 1/2" it is now 8 1/2".
- If I remember correctly I went from 34lbs down to 30 with the Mavics.
- Brakes I am not sure what size they will work with, never thought about doing that since they work pretty damn good stock.

Anymore questions just ask.:thumbsup:

#25 ·
The stock brakes were pretty good for flat XC type stuff, but they suffered terribly from fade going downhill. Like, brake levers to the grips and still not stopping much at all was my worst. I switched them out for Hayes MX1s from a friend (who has Juicy 7s now. Lucky.), and they do better, stop harder, feel smoother, and take longer before fading (and not as badly). Apparently, they're still pretty bad by comparison, but eventually I'm going to try to get some Juicy 5s or HFX-9s. Eventually.

I see that you're still running the stock shifter/brake lever combo. I switched mine out for 8-speed Alivio shifters and Speed Dial 7 levers. The biggest problem for me was not being able to easily see what gear I was in, which is important on that 8-speed cassette. On the big ring, 3-5 is for climbing, 6-7 are for cruising, and 8 is for turbo-fast. The jumps in ratios between each category were huge, and it became rather crucial to know what gear I was in. The indicator windows on the stock shifters had way too much glare. That, and I was never satisfied with the position of the levers and shifters. But, if you're happy with it, I guess that's about 60 bucks you can save (I worked off the parts at my LBS.)

Right now, I'm split between pursing a new wheelset/fork for my Warrior Team SE or going all-out for a Mk.III Comp (which will take maybe half a year of fairly constant work). If the MK.III proves to be too much, maybe I'll look at a BMX or road bike from my LBS instead. I'm probably on good enough terms to pick a used built bike on the floor and rebuild it to my liking, as long as I build up another frame with the components I took off. Whatever, it's late and it's been a long day (nothing but freezing rain allllll day).

#26 ·
TehSuck said:
The stock brakes were pretty good for flat XC type stuff, but they suffered terribly from fade going downhill. Like, brake levers to the grips and still not stopping much at all was my worst. I switched them out for Hayes MX1s from a friend (who has Juicy 7s now. Lucky.), and they do better, stop harder, feel smoother, and take longer before fading (and not as badly). Apparently, they're still pretty bad by comparison, but eventually I'm going to try to get some Juicy 5s or HFX-9s. Eventually.

I see that you're still running the stock shifter/brake lever combo. I switched mine out for 8-speed Alivio shifters and Speed Dial 7 levers. The biggest problem for me was not being able to easily see what gear I was in, which is important on that 8-speed cassette. On the big ring, 3-5 is for climbing, 6-7 are for cruising, and 8 is for turbo-fast. The jumps in ratios between each category were huge, and it became rather crucial to know what gear I was in. The indicator windows on the stock shifters had way too much glare. That, and I was never satisfied with the position of the levers and shifters. But, if you're happy with it, I guess that's about 60 bucks you can save (I worked off the parts at my LBS.)
I am in decision stage of replacing the brakes/shifters & levers, I am looking at the Avids, but I am not able to fork out the money since I just did the New fork install. Plus I dont really know if I want to spend the money on new shifters. I have real clean shifts & no problem seeing anything, never get any glare. As for cogs for climbing & what not I use a different configuration all together. I leave the bike on the 2nd cog up front at all times unless I am hitting a huge hill, I rarely use my rear shifter. If I need a quicker speed to climb with I drop to the 1st cog up front leaving it on 2-4 in the rear. Works out much better & you get less wear & tear on the derialleurs.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.