mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho Transmission Switch HELP!

I have a 2005 Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho and I am trying to convert the transmission from 8 to 9 speed. (for some reason in 2005 they only came with an 8 speed, but then switched to 9 speed from 2006 on.)

When they switched to 9 speed the next year, they used a medium cage rear derailleur and an 11-32 cassette on the exact same frame design. What I am wondering is if I will be able to use a 11-34 ratio cassette with a medium cage rear deailleur as well? I have a 38t single ring up front. Will clearance be an issue or will using a 11-34 cassette work just fine?

banned
    Am considering the same for my Commuter; New Derailleur to work up to that extra gear, new Chain for the 9 Speed, and a Cassette of your choice. Medium-cage works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamcragun
    I have a 2005 Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho and I am trying to convert the transmission from 8 to 9 speed. (for some reason in 2005 they only came with an 8 speed, but then switched to 9 speed from 2006 on.)

When they switched to 9 speed the next year, they used a medium cage rear derailleur and an 11-32 cassette on the exact same frame design. What I am wondering is if I will be able to use a 11-34 ratio cassette with a medium cage rear deailleur as well? I have a 38t single ring up front. Will clearance be an issue or will using a 11-34 cassette work just fine?