Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Iron Horse Warrior 1.3

64K views 126 replies 48 participants last post by  Surfmus 
#1 ·
Hey just bought the bike today with a couple questions. First of all, is the stem upside down?

See less See more
#105 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I figured I would post since I just bought my copper 2008 Warrior 1.3 from my local Dick's.
(Pics to come soon!)

I went with the 3-year warranty..... it seems like a pretty good deal.. even brakepads and tires are covered!

But then I realized that I will be upgrading components, (like the calipers to BB7s?)... and the new components I doubt would be covered. So in hindsight I'm feeling kinda silly for spending $50+tax to protect all the craptacular components...

I suppose I will leave it stock for as long as I can stand (except for a longer suspension seat post and road tires), and ride HARD in hopes of breaking stuff!!!!!

Anyway ...
Does any one have any tips to tweaking those IOX calipers? It seems I only have two options....
a) too much freeplay in the levers or
b) constant noisy pad drag (even riding straight)

Was anyone successful in getting the best of both worlds?
Maybe I just have to wait til they break in?
I noticed there is no "Tension modulator screw" like the instructions say there should be.

P.S. here is the manual for the Tektro IOX if anyone needs:
http://ryaske.com/bike/tektro-iox.pdf

Finally .... does anyone know the seatpost diameter of the Warrior 1.3? I am thinking about getting a thudbuster: http://www.thudbuster.com/products.html

#106 ·
ryaske said:
Hey Guys,

I figured I would post since I just bought my copper 2008 Warrior 1.3 from my local Dick's.
(Pics to come soon!)

I went with the 3-year warranty..... it seems like a pretty good deal.. even brakepads and tires are covered!

But then I realized that I will be upgrading components, (like the calipers to BB7s?)... and the new components I doubt would be covered. So in hindsight I'm feeling kinda silly for spending $50+tax to protect all the craptacular components...

I suppose I will leave it stock for as long as I can stand (except for a longer suspension seat post and road tires), and ride HARD in hopes of breaking stuff!!!!!

Anyway ...
Does any one have any tips to tweaking those IOX calipers? It seems I only have two options....

I noticed there is no "Tension modulator screw" like the instructions say there should be.

Finally .... does anyone know the seatpost diameter of the Warrior 1.3? I am thinking about getting a thudbuster: http://www.thudbuster.com/products.html
if you pull your seatpost out, it should have the diameter on it, next to the minimum insertion line or whatever.

#107 ·
ryaske said:
Hey Guys,

(Pics to come soon!)

Anyway ...

Bring the bike back to the store and have them adjust it..it's covered. I'm the tech at a Dick's here and it's only because I REALLY know what I'm doing (unlike most techs at Dick's) that I can set them up right Those brakes can be a tricky pain in the a** to set up with out drag.

#108 ·
Yeah, if you bought the coverage...I'd bring it back for adjustment. The Tektro IOX brakes are definitely a PITA to get setup. It took me about an hr of trial and error caliper adjustments to get the front rub free. The back still has a slight rub, I'll have to tinker with it some more:madman:

#109 ·
Well guys,

I bought the 1.3 on sunday and the only problem im having is with the brakes, i am taking it back and having them fix them and get the front rim trued. And yes my stem was set up for agressive riding but it was an easy fix. After i get back i will update this post and tell how it works

#110 ·
i would like to bring it back but I dont have the time to drive it up there and wait for them to [attempt] to fix it

I got it 90% by myself .. much better than it was!

Heres the bike complete with road tires, new seat, air horn and air pump:
(click to go bigger)

Now I just gotta order that thudbuster and KEEP RIDING so the brakes break in

Beautiful weather here on Long Island!!

#111 ·
road tires! u don't like mountain biking? well its ur opinion. i took it back and luckily i got the head technician and he fixed in about 15 minutes. it works wonderfully now and i cant wait to take it to castlewood state park... i hope its not flooded. sits right on the meremac river. if u didnt know, near record flooding in st. louis

#112 ·
no I love MTB'ing !!! Where i live , its 85% roads ... I have to ride for miles before I get to anyplace worth offroading. On the roads those stock 2.1" ninjas were killing my speed ....
Now with 1.5" front and 1.75 rear semi-slicks , I can still hit the dirt trails , justhave to lower entry speed into the turns and stay OUT of the deep sand/mud.

A worthy upgrade for my purposes. I am keeping the ninjas for a new wheel set w/ rotors though, so dont worry :thumbsup:

Just have fun in the flood mud for me!! :p

#113 ·
Well I bought an Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 from Dicks about two weeks ago. I like the bike. I doing some training in Mobile, AL and wanted to get into mountain biking and shopped around and bought the Iron Horse. I like the bike. I do have one problem the adjustment cap/knob on the Dart broke off, so I need to take it back to Dicks. Does anyone know which Dick's in Jacksonville has the better bike techs? The Dicks at Town Center or the new one at the Orange Park mall.

I hope to see more posts in here, because the posting in this forum motivated me to buy the Iron Horse, that and the price. The local bike shops wouldn't work with me on price.
Thanks will be checking this out later.

#114 ·
A lot of people hate this bike that might be a few factors as to why. This bike is $300 so you cant expect awesome but its a really good beginner bike. My friend and i got new mountain bikes the same day. I got the warrior he got a Trek trail x im not sure what model it is. Anyway his was $400 from a LBS and mine $300 from Dick's. Me and him ride at a local SABA Trail a mile from my house. Its a beginner trial but good enough for us. My chain has fallen off once i jumped a bank bottomed out and it fell off. His on the other hand has fallen off 20+ he will jump something then boink. It will change gears for no reason and everything. His has different shocks and a better seat, but the gears derailers and brakes are the same. So the price could not be any better. Maybe my mechanic at Dick's set it up right but who knows but dont spend 100 more for the Trek.

#116 ·
KingKrawczyk said:
Got my Warrior 1.3 back in July of 07. I changed out the cassette, changed the discs to Tektro IO's for some reason, new WTB FX28 rims with Shimano Deore XT hubs, kevlar tires, and put some extra stuff on. I love the bike.
yeah, i really like mine. you should trash that kickstand though ;)

i have around 800 miles on it, beating the crap out of it.

#117 ·
Yeah i'm definitely going to take the kickstand it off. It is kind of beat. I've done the math and i'm somewhere over 1500 miles and plenty more to go. I'm surprised it lasted this long. The only problem I had was with the cassette and the tires. Got those replaced and hadn't had anything happen since. KNOCK ON WOOD!

#120 ·
Thanks so far and...

What is the proper maintenance for this fork? Rockshox Dart1.
Also, what are the specs of this bike?

I've had mine since last year, and aside from what is labeled and visible, I am still finding out stuff about it. Got rid of break rub (front and rear), stem angle.... (shouldn't all Dick's employees know this??), kickstand, and plan to upgrade into a serious bike to ride at Ray's indoor park through the season. Thinkin I might be ok upgrading just wheels and tires... maybe handlebars next.. All the bike came with was a safety manual, general (iron horse) mountain bike user manual, and a freakin alcohol swab. Thanks!!! :rockon:

#121 ·
kidndapalm said:
What is the proper maintenance for this fork? Rockshox Dart1.
Also, what are the specs of this bike?

I've had mine since last year, and aside from what is labeled and visible, I am still finding out stuff about it. Got rid of break rub (front and rear), stem angle.... (shouldn't all Dick's employees know this??), kickstand, and plan to upgrade into a serious bike to ride at Ray's indoor park through the season. Thinkin I might be ok upgrading just wheels and tires... maybe handlebars next.. All the bike came with was a safety manual, general (iron horse) mountain bike user manual, and a freakin alcohol swab. Thanks!!! :rockon:
Yeah they shouldn't have sold you the bike with rub and an upside down stem. Morons abound. I HATEworking for a retailer who fails to train its people.

Train yourself. Get some good books and learn to do it all. Its very rewarding. Lurking here has taught me a lot as well. I read most of the major manufacturers forums and post in a few. I bought myself a a Cannondale hard tail frame and built it up with XT level parts among others. Don't be a t the mercy of some idiot who only wants to get paid. That can be true in any shop - big box or not. That's all I have. Feel free to PM me with questions.

#122 ·
what is the size for a replacement stem for this bike? unbelievable how hard it is to get an answer to this question. what measurement numbers need to match when pairing a handlebar too? found some ridiculous deals, azonic stem and revenge bar for under 50$ total @ jensen. don't know why everyone doesn't just buy at the end of the season.

#123 ·
Stem is a 1 1/8 (pretty much the standard now). The problem is going to be deciding what length you want/need. If it's to replace the old and you like the size and fit of your bike now, measure it center of the head set bolt (on top of head set) to center of bar clamp. It will measure in MM. Then you can adjust from there.

#124 ·
what about this #?

You are tremendously helpful! Thanx!!! now, i am assuming the distance from headset bolt to center of bar clamp is the mm here, but what is this other number????

Black, 40mm, 25.4 In Stock $20
Black, 40mm, 31.8 In Stock $20
Black, 50mm, 25.4 In Stock $20
Black, 50mm, 31.8 In Stock $20

ive done some math and i'm a pretty big dude, so i think for what i am looking for, this is a good combo, don't want to reach as far down and forward, and with this and a (2") riser bar i'm not getting into shady territory for the type of riding i like either. Again, thanks, this forum has transformed my riding so much. :)

#125 ·
kidndapalm said:
You are tremendously helpful! Thanx!!! now, i am assuming the distance from headset bolt to center of bar clamp is the mm here, but what is this other number????

Black, 40mm, 25.4 In Stock $20
Black, 40mm, 31.8 In Stock $20
Black, 50mm, 25.4 In Stock $20
Black, 50mm, 31.8 In Stock $20

ive done some math and i'm a pretty big dude, so i think for what i am looking for, this is a good combo, don't want to reach as far down and forward, and with this and a (2") riser bar i'm not getting into shady territory for the type of riding i like either. Again, thanks, this forum has transformed my riding so much. :)
No problem.

the 31.6 and 25.4 are the handlebar diameters. I'm not sure which you have, I'm sure it's on the bar itself or on the spec sheet on the website.

A word of warning, those are REALLY short stems. How big is your frame? How tall are you. I doubt you want those sizes.

#126 ·
im 5' 11" and 255- 230 lbs depending on how often i can ride. If you are referring to the frame of the bike, this is another thing I would like to know... The most comfortable bike I have rode was actually an old cruiser with the bars super high. the leaning over makes me uncomfortable fast and messes up my back. the bars i found are actually 2.5" rise and i intend to have them almost straight up. i hit all types of terrain, but my main concern is comfort because the 3rd hour gets rough and id like to keep going sometimes. ill often lean back all the way and just touch the top of my extension bars to guide it and straighten out my back.. other options? i know when the stem was mounted upside down initially, that is the opposite of what i want, to lean forward and down.. let me know. thank you again!!!! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.