mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Iron Horse Outlaw

New to this , in fct I am researching for a hardtail. So far I have narrowed it down to Ibex 450, Specialized Rock hopper, Randall Scott Maverick and the Iron Horse Outlaw.
    But I can't find any real info on the outlaw.
    Also big question is there a best time to buy a bike, is there an end of model year things like that? thanks

When in doubt, go faster
    Right now is primetime for getting the 06 models cheap. Also, I'd go with either the rockhopper or the Outlaw, leaning more toward the outlaw, as its price and its company are way better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    [SIZE="2"]The outlaw evens looks very nice- like the blue frame. but that sholdn't be a reason for buying a bike... should it...?
    Seems like a lot of the postings suggest being comfortable as #1 reason for making a choie as most feel the components at that level are failry comparable. I started comparing and found not a lot of imfo on various components. realistically I will be riding on pavement, firetrails, and non life trhreatieng traisl paths etc. so I don't think top of the line components are neccessary. Actaully I am surprised at the relatively low proce of someo fo these parts.
    Any way back to topic, I was curuous as to 2 why you seemed to rule out Ibex, thanks.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

IH outlaw pro

I bought the outlaw last week, got it for $287 +36 s/h when performance had the
    friday the 13th special sale. Anyway, essentially the outlaw is the '06 Maverick Team.
    I had called IH to inquire about the bike, because I could not find too much info
    on it either. Except for the disc brakes, all equipment is the same.

For an upper level entry HT, I think it is a great buy. I have ridden the bike twice
    so far, and first impressions are solid. This is my first mtn bike, and the only other
    comparison I have is a one day ride on a 2002 specialized RH. I cannot tell any
    significant differences, but then again I'm new to mtn biking...

The aluminum frame feels stable and solid, and surprisingly does not feel too heavy.
    It tracks well, handles pretty good, and has a fair amount of adjustability.
    The only weak link so far is are the disc brakes. Overall, they are decent but just
    average imo. They stop ok, The calipers took awhile to adjust,
    so as they would not rub on the disc. Other than that, I like the bike for what it is,
    and as a sub-$300 HT goes...I think it would be very hard to beat. Oh,
    and it does look good in that azure blue. Pictures do not do it justice.
    It is darker than the photos and has a slight sheen to finish, it looks cool.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I talked to a guy at the local Performance bike shop and he reccomended that I order through them , it is shipped to the bike shop nad I only pay the listed price for the bike. I like that idea. I have been looking at verything I could find in this price range and really it comes down to the IBex 450 and this.
    Thanks for the imfo good to hear you are very satisfied with it too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher
    I bought the outlaw last week, got it for $287 +36 s/h when performance had the
    friday the 13th special sale. Anyway, essentially the outlaw is the '06 Maverick Team.
    I had called IH to inquire about the bike, because I could not find too much info
    on it either. Except for the disc brakes, all equipment is the same.

For an upper level entry HT, I think it is a great buy. I have ridden the bike twice
    so far, and first impressions are solid. This is my first mtn bike, and the only other
    comparison I have is a one day ride on a 2002 specialized RH. I cannot tell any
    significant differences, but then again I'm new to mtn biking...

The aluminum frame feels stable and solid, and surprisingly does not feel too heavy.
    It tracks well, handles pretty good, and has a fair amount of adjustability.
    The only weak link so far is are the disc brakes. Overall, they are decent but just
    average imo. They stop ok, The calipers took awhile to adjust,
    so as they would not rub on the disc. Other than that, I like the bike for what it is,
    and as a sub-$300 HT goes...I think it would be very hard to beat. Oh,
    and it does look good in that azure blue. Pictures do not do it justice.
    It is darker than the photos and has a slight sheen to finish, it looks cool.
    I stand corrected; ..."essentially the outlaw is the '06 Maverick Team."

The frame is actually a Warrior, and the components are from the Maverick Team.
    So, I got an even better deal. Beefier frame set, mid-level components. Whoo Hoo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good deal, at that rate you will have a top of the line bike by the end of the year-
    I think a move up a bit from the Outlaw is a good idea. Right now I am waiting to see what sales start popping up, weather negates much riding for me anyway

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I bought my girlfriend the Outlaw when the $.99 shipping and 20% off coupon were valid. I think I paid $280 shipped. So far she loves it for commuting to school and riding on paths. I introduced her to MTBing on a 1-mile beginner trail and she said the bike did fine...it even survived her one fall. She's not quite into the whole MTBing thing yet, but I figured I would start her off with a semi-decent HT instead of some Wal-Mart special. Since we live in different cities, I wanted to get her something fairly reliable for when she commutes. You surely can't beat the price and Performance's guarantee.