Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Iron Horse MKIII

Anyone ride an Iron Horse MKIII that has not had issues with their rear triangle? I'm looking into buying a used one but I am being scared away by all the threads on other forums about this supposed design flaw.

This topic has been discussed before but does anyone have any other updates on their experience with their MKIII?

Crack / No Crack
    Components
    Weight
    Tire Size
    Travel Length

Side question: Should I buy a used Iron Horse MKIII? It's priced at around $750-$850 dollars.
    Last edited by davidlax12; 12-19-2012 at 06:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

iron horse mk111

hi
    i purchased a new, 2008 iron horse mk111, and rode it for approx 2.5 yrs.
    never had any rear triangle issues, or any issues for that matter. when i
    purchased the bike, read about the rear triangle cracking issues that other
    people were experiencing, so i picked up another rear triangle(new).
    that extra rear triangle is still sittin in the box.
    its a nice riding bike, with the dw link.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've owned my MKIII since 2007, never had an issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    hi
    i purchased a new, 2008 iron horse mk111, and rode it for approx 2.5 yrs.
    never had any rear triangle issues, or any issues for that matter. when i
    purchased the bike, read about the rear triangle cracking issues that other
    people were experiencing, so i picked up another rear triangle(new).
    that extra rear triangle is still sittin in the box.
    its a nice riding bike, with the dw link.....
    hi - if you are interested to sell that rear triangle, please PM me. i have a front triangle and links in need of a rear

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    2007 here, and no issues. I love this bike - easily over 2k miles on it - easy x country for half of its life, but much burlier stuff for the last 2 or 3 year. Bigger drops, rock gardens. Never a problem with the rear. I am anticipating it though, and I have sourced a new rear triangle as well. This is an absolutely amazing bike. Keep your eyes open on ebay, PB, or here, and you'll find a rear to keep as a spare. What year is the MKIII you're looking at? Just FYI, the rear design changed for teh 2007 model year - the rear end used bent tubes from the lower link to the chainstay on the drive side prior to 2007. After 2007, there is a cast aluminum piece that connects the chainstay to the lower part. I have seen both of these designs cracked in pictures.

I ride on a 2.1 in the rear (you can't go much bigger than 2.125" in the rear because the triangle is tight) and 2.3 front. I weigh in around 220 or so without gear.

As it sits now, it's around 27-ish lbs, but I've replaced just about everything due to wear-and-tear, and the model I bought (sport) didn't come standard with that great of components. Have to say, the el-cheapo wheelset held up pretty well though. WTB something-disc with no-name hubs. Blew up the freehub body this year - cracked it in 3 places. The front is giving up as well, just ordered an I9 to build up a front. Mine had an X-7 rear, and (I think) an X-5 front (long gone to 1x9) and mechanical BB5 brakes. The stock cranks and bottom bracket were heavy Truvative isis something - I replaced those almost immediately. I think the only stock parts I have left are the headset, front wheel (both being replaced this week or next), the ea30 bars (soon), and the ea30 post - the post is going to be tougher to replace - it's a VERY odd size 30.0mm.

As far as travel, I still have the original rp-23 - it's quite good. I replaced the fork with a rockshox revelation 150mm - 1 cm more travel than the stock forks. Haven't quite gotten it set up right yet, though - have to take the time to do that.

What model are you considering? The Comp and Team will have better components. You can look up the components/weights, etc on bikepedia. I need to start looking for a spare front frame as well. Did I mention that I love this bike?

GAME ON!
    i had a 2006 that didn't have any problems but i sold it before it broke so i didn't have to deal with it.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    I have a 2007 MKIII. Bought it new but literally every component has been replaced due to wear or I ran into a deal for an upgrade. It currently sits at 27lbs. Since '07 I have put over 4000 miles on it through different terrain. I would of logged more miles but it's not my only bike. Currently running 2.35 front and rear, Original Fox Float R with a modified air shim, Juicy 5 brakes, full SLX drivetrain, carbon bars, seat post, saddle, DT Swiss XD wheelset with Hope Pro II hubs, KMC Ti chain, Fox Talas 32, XT BB, XT Cassette. It's the do all bike. If you want the DW-Link but are afraid of the brand the Turner 5 Spot is basically the updated version of the MKIII or go the IBIS route.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What post did you go with - there aren't many carbon options in 30.0mm...

Quote Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
    I have a 2007 MKIII. Bought it new but literally every component has been replaced due to wear or I ran into a deal for an upgrade. It currently sits at 27lbs. Since '07 I have put over 4000 miles on it through different terrain. I would of logged more miles but it's not my only bike. Currently running 2.35 front and rear, Original Fox Float R with a modified air shim, Juicy 5 brakes, full SLX drivetrain, carbon bars, seat post, saddle, DT Swiss XD wheelset with Hope Pro II hubs, KMC Ti chain, Fox Talas 32, XT BB, XT Cassette. It's the do all bike. If you want the DW-Link but are afraid of the brand the Turner 5 Spot is basically the updated version of the MKIII or go the IBIS route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcolletteiii View Post
    What post did you go with - there aren't many carbon options in 30.0mm...
    Easton Haven

Edit: Thompson has one as well.

mtbr member
    I've got one. No issues...yet.

I've put on:

RP2
    Sunline bars
    Stan Flows with Stans hubs
    Juicy 5s (awesomely reliable)
    Old X9 drivetrain
    FSA cranks
    HRIIs

EDIT: I forgot about the -2 deg Works components headset and 50mm stem.

Those two upgraded totally transformed the bike for descending. I do smack my knees on more techy climbs occasionally... It's worth it for the trails I ride.
    Last edited by da peach; 01-09-2013 at 06:05 AM.

Professional Crastinator
    I still have a 2008 Comp. Mostly stock except for I sold the Juicy 5(?) brakes and installed BB7's.

My rear freehub cracked in the first 3 weeks and I replaced the entire rear wheel with a cheap bolt-on axle Rocky Mountain hub with a Rhyno rim. That might be holding that rear triangle in shape to keep it from cracking, but I really never hit it very hard. I have gone insanely fast on it, though.

It has not seen real "all-mountain" duty but it is a really nice-riding bike, both climbing and descending.

Rear tire is a Karma 2.2, which is about all that will fit. The paint is worn off where the tire is closest to the frame.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm curious what you guys have on those rigs for approximate mileage? Any guesses?

mtbr member
    I've only REALLY ridden mine for the last 2 seasons. But fairly aggressively.

If say I've ridden about 250 miles?

mtbr member
    I'm curious what you guys have on those rigs for approximate mileage? Any guesses?
    I had mine since '07. At one point I was tracking my mileage. For me I was shooting for 3k in one year and I did do it in one year with kids, wife, work, etc. A safer guess would be around 1,500 miles a year as the 3,000 miles that one year nothing major happened in home or work life.

Professional Crastinator
    Mine has always been my 2nd bike. When I first got mine it did one winter at Ray's MTB (where I cased more than a few small jumps), then went to GA for some really high-speed stuff, then to PA for some low-speed rock crawling. That was prob'ly 700 miles right there. Since then it has been hauling my daughter's trail-a-bike on singletrack - which, I know, sounds like, well, child's play, but the rear end has had some serious weight and torque on it when you consider that I was pulling a 70# trailer up the hills (you can see the chain tension pulling the rear triangle to the side). And it still runs really nice when the trail-a-bike is unhitched. It is well over 1200 miles with no service.

-F

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Wow - excellent! That is a lot of added stress on the rear triangle - good to hear that it's holding up well. Fleas - just curious... do you still run the stocker wheels? The freewheel body has a penchant for cracking right at the little cutouts for the pawls. When it happened on mine, it made a groaning-moaning-creaking noise that seemed to be coming from the bottom bracket. Took awhile to track down.

Sounds like there are still quite a few MKIII's going strong on the original rear triangle.

Professional Crastinator
    Wow - excellent! That is a lot of added stress on the rear triangle - good to hear that it's holding up well. Fleas - just curious... do you still run the stocker wheels? The freewheel body has a penchant for cracking right at the little cutouts for the pawls. When it happened on mine, it made a groaning-moaning-creaking noise that seemed to be coming from the bottom bracket. Took awhile to track down.

Sounds like there are still quite a few MKIII's going strong on the original rear triangle.
    One of the first things I noticed on that bike was the flexy rear triangle. The geometry works really well for me, though - seems to be an XC-ish AM bike.

But yeah, that rear hub crapped out early on. It's sitting in my basement in case I ever find the right freehub body, or another hub. The front is fine.

FYI - the trail-a-bike clamps up on the seat post - not on the rear axle. But chain tension alone yanks that triangle around when climbing with a kid in-tow, and also has a lot more weight on it when braking downhill.

-F

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlax12 View Post
    Anyone ride an Iron Horse MKIII that has not had issues with their rear triangle? I'm looking into buying a used one but I am being scared away by all the threads on other forums about this supposed design flaw.

This topic has been discussed before but does anyone have any other updates on their experience with their MKIII?

Crack / No Crack
    Components
    Weight
    Tire Size
    Travel Length

Side question: Should I buy a used Iron Horse MKIII? It's priced at around $750-$850 dollars.
    You are not going to get many updates from the folks whose frames cracked and don't get ridden anymore.

Regarding buying one, I would make sure you check it out very well and know exactly where to look for signs of cracking on the front and rear triangles.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Braugh Bro.
    My girlfriend rides one with no problems. She doesn't ride it super hard... but she also doesn't have any flow so the frame takes some abuse i would imagine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just noticed a crack on my girlfriends 08 elite. Its right above the weld on the vertical support that goes from the chainstay to the seatstay. Bummer... I'll be looking into making a brace and welding it soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I bought a 2008 Comp (small) for my wife, thought she would want to get into mtn with me, wrong.

Anyway, she rode it about 3 x's. It's practically brand new, not a scratch. Any ideas what it's worth? I would like to sell it.

Mojo

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man View Post
    Any ideas what it's worth?
    Depends on whether the buyer has visited the IH forum on mtbr.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    I bought a used MK3 team on July 2009 and I totally loved it! It was pretty much fully stock and I rode the hell out of it. Eventually the rear 5th element shock blew up and I had it rebuilt, ( that ended up being a mistake as it cost me like 370$ and it only lasted about 8 months before it blew up again.)

I bought a fox float RL and it has been golden. About 6 months after that I put a Rock shox sector coil on it and that also made it better.

I read all the threads about the issue with the rear triangle cracking and looked mine over often and figured that if it has not cracked by now, it was likely not going to. Until January 2012.

I was giving it the usual semi weekly once over and DAMN IT! I saw a crack!!!

The next day I looked over "world wide web" looking for a rear triangle, then started to look for another frame and by the end of the day went down to my lbs and bought a close out 2011 Specialized Enduro comp.

Still loving my MK3, I searched for a shop that would fix the cracks. About 3 weeks later, I found a guy that would fix it. I removed the rear triangle and then I found two more cracks!! Holy ****! How long have those cracks been there!!

So I took the rear triangle to him and he welded and reinforced where the cracks were.

I have been using it as my second bike for just whatever. I likely wont be doing anymore huge drops with it but it remains a very solid bike that is quite fun to ride.

I could not have asked for a better bike to get me into mountain biking. It is a very stout peddling beast! and I will always love that bike.

Here are some pics of some before and after cracks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iron Horse MKIII-imag0776.jpg  

Iron Horse MKIII-imag1469.jpg  

Iron Horse MKIII-imag0895.jpg  

Iron Horse MKIII-imag0896.jpg  

Iron Horse MKIII-imag0897.jpg  

Iron Horse MKIII-imag1467.jpg  

Iron Horse MKIII-imag1468.jpg  

Last edited by innovator8; 02-18-2013 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, the original triangle on my MKIII went about 2 weeks ago. I was installing an X01 grouping (derailleur, cassette, shifter) and I looked very closely, and there it was, a hairline crack in the usual place on the right chainstay weld, but on the inside. Who knows how long it was there. Luckily, I bought a new replacement off fleabay over a year ago. Thew that one on there. Starting to think about a frame replacement now. Yeti, I think - either a SB66 or SB75. The SB75 will work with my current wheelset even tho it's a 27.5" specific frame.

It'll be a sad day when I break down the MKIII, but I see it coming soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have a BNIB never-used mkIII front triangle if anyone needs it -- $150

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast