Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frgeoff View Post
    I have a BNIB never-used mkIII front triangle if anyone needs it -- $150
    Size would help.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    oops, its a 17" - -brand new in box, i can send pics if anyone is interested

mtbr member
    since we're advertising MKIII related items, I've got one for sale. A really nice one, actually:

2006 Iron Horse MKIII Hollowpoint Expert 17? - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    2010 mkIII comp with no issues i'm pleased to report however i'm an avg sized guy that rides it, well kinda avg.
    That said I was considering changing suss on both ends to what may perform better than the fox float R and RS recon 327, but then for an avg rider perhaps these are adequate if services are performed??

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    curious where you got a 2010? IH went kaput in early 2009- there were some '08 models sold as 2009s in the UK, but I thought 2008 was the last year in the US?

On my '08 Comp I started by adding a Motion Control compression damper from a Pike to the fork. Stock, the 327 is pretty nice but only has a rebound damper and nothing else. Surprisingly that did not make a very big difference. Climbing got better as the fork stopped blowing through travel but descending stayed about the same. Eventually I replaced it with a 150mm travel Revelation Team with a 20mm axle and fancy dampers. It slacked out the bike a little which slowed down the steering and made it much more stable, the fatter axle holds a line way better, and the nice damping lets me go much faster and stay in control. Really glad I did that upgrade.

I still run my stock Float R in the rear- I don't know if mine is special or what, but I tried a few different coil shocks plus a new RS Monarch RTsomething and I prefer the Float. It's light, easy to maintain, and it works. If I was going to spend more on this bike I'd send the rear to Push.

After the fork a 12mm step-down axle in the rear made the most difference. Hard to tell just how much flex goes on back there until it goes away. Good luck with your bike, keep an eye out for those lovely swingarm cracks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norton05 View Post
    curious where you got a 2010? IH went kaput in early 2009- there were some '08 models sold as 2009s in the UK, but I thought 2008 was the last year in the US?
    As my first official mtb I purchased it in 2010, however as you make mention it was year marked on the ST as 2008. This bike was advertised and tagged as a 2010 model so I was mislead to make short of it.

After the fork a 12mm step-down axle in the rear made the most difference. Hard to tell just how much flex goes on back there until it goes away. Good luck with your bike, keep an eye out for those lovely swingarm cracks
    I recently replaced the rear hub with a hope pro2 but retained the 10mm QR since i wasn't very savy about upgrades and such so i just stayed with what worked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Same hub here! If you're interested in converting yours, I bought the 12mm endcaps and a 12mm Azonic Momentum thru-axle at Pricepoint, it was like $35 altogether. It's solid steel so pretty heavy but IMO it's worth it. Super easy to install.

mtbr member
    Same hub here! If you're interested in converting yours, I bought the 12mm endcaps and a 12mm Azonic Momentum thru-axle at Pricepoint, it was like $35 altogether. It's solid steel so pretty heavy but IMO it's worth it. Super easy to install.
    so there's sufficient room in the drops for the 12mm??

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    the axle steps down from 12mm to 10mm right at the ends so it fits in a regular QR dropout. You can kind of see it here.

mtbr member
    the axle steps down from 12mm to 10mm right at the ends so it fits in a regular QR dropout. You can kind of see it here.
    ahhhhh beautiful thanks. Not a big fan of having nuts on both ends but ya can't have everything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by da peach View Post
    since we're advertising MKIII related items, I've got one for sale. A really nice one, actually:

2006 Iron Horse MKIII Hollowpoint Expert 17? - Pinkbike
    did it sell?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    did it sell?
    It did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2