mtbr member
    Jul 2009

iron horse azure shock

hi

my rear shock (rock shox ario) has developed an air leak, on my iron horse azure.
    that particular shock has been dc'd ...... should/can it be repaired/fixed, or should
    i look for a new shock. anyone know of replacement shocks that would fit this bike??
    it has 1.5 inches of travel. or, should i look at gettin it repaired?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    .... could one of you moderators please move this question to the shocks and
    suspension forum .......

thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by peterv
    my rear shock (rock shox ario) has developed an air leak, on my iron horse azure.
    that particular shock has been dc'd ...... should/can it be repaired/fixed, or should
    i look for a new shock. anyone know of replacement shocks that would fit this bike??
    it has 1.5 inches of travel. or, should i look at gettin it repaired?
    Where is the leak coming from?

If it's the seals that are leaking, it should be fairly easy, and considerably less expensive, to replace them so that the shock functions well again.

If you end up replacing it, you'll need a shock that's 6.5" long with a 1.5" stroke. I should think that most air shocks with those dimensions will work, though if you're interested in one of the Cane Creek air shocks, check with them first as the air canister is a bit larger than that of a typical oil damped shock. Some coil shocks may work too, but again you'll want to make sure that there's no issue with frame clearance. Depending upon the brand you get you may or may not be able to reuse the mounting hardware from your old shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

... and if we just ...

hi kevinb

dont know for sure where the air leak is coming from. i have never noticed any oil leak.
    the shock needs to be pumped up to pressure every time the bike is ridden, and will only
    hold its air pressure for about 1 to 1.5 hrs. this shock (rock shox ario) is on my wife's
    bike, an iron horse azure comp. i have never worked on shocks, rear or front, for that
    matter; and dont have the tools to do it now, since we are temporarily in tucson, az
    till the end of february.
    i talked to a couple people out riding, that are more knowledgeable than myself, and
    they said it would still be pretty expensive to get it repaired, and its an older shock.
    they suggested, possiblybuying a new shock.
    i currently ride an mkiii, with a low compression tuned, fox float r. this shock has worked well for me, without any problems. is it possible to purchase a fox float r that has a
    a low compression tune, like the one that came with my mkii from the factory??
    from reading about the dw-link suspension, i am under the assumption that the
    dw-link works best with a low compression tuned shock. is this correct?
    i have also read where people have used a cane creek ad-12 shock. is this a
    low compression shock?
    need some suggestions on which direction i should go. am currently looking at
    purchasing a new shock. does someone know where i can get a fox float r low
    compression shock (6.5x1.5), or another shock that would work with the
    dw-link suspension for the azure?
    p.s.... my wife has been riding my mkiii lately, and really likes it. she says that
    its better riding than her azure.......so i need to get her bike fixed, ASAP !!
    thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by peterv
    dont know for sure where the air leak is coming from. i have never noticed any oil leak.
    the shock needs to be pumped up to pressure every time the bike is ridden, and will only
    hold its air pressure for about 1 to 1.5 hrs. this shock (rock shox ario) is on my wife's
    bike, an iron horse azure comp. i have never worked on shocks, rear or front, for that
    matter; and dont have the tools to do it now, since we are temporarily in tucson, az
    till the end of february.
    If you can find someone who has tools, I suggest that you (or they) take the shock off the bike and then immerse it in a bucket of water to see where the leak is coming from. (Look for air bubbles.) Most air shocks require some maintenance of the air sleeve seals over time. If you stay on top of this maintenance - which involves removal of the air sleeve, followed by cleaning and relubing the parts - you can make the seals last longer. If you're at the point where it's leaking, you can try the clean-and-relube route, but I think it's likely that you'll end up needing new seals.
    i talked to a couple people out riding, that are more knowledgeable than myself, and
    they said it would still be pretty expensive to get it repaired, and its an older shock.
    they suggested, possiblybuying a new shock.
    Yes, if the problem is something more complicated than leaking seals, or possibly a leaking Schrader valve, it could be quite expensive to fix it. Don't know whether it'll be more expensive than a new shock though.
    i currently ride an mkiii, with a low compression tuned, fox float r. this shock has worked well for me, without any problems. is it possible to purchase a fox float r that has a a low compression tune, like the one that came with my mkii from the factory??
    Probably; you'd have to contact Fox (or some Fox retailer) to find out for sure.
    from reading about the dw-link suspension, i am under the assumption that the
    dw-link works best with a low compression tuned shock. is this correct?
    Yes.
    i have also read where people have used a cane creek ad-12 shock. is this a
    low compression shock?
    Potentially, yes. (It has adjustable compression damping.) Another one to consider is the Cloud Nine. (As I've noted elsewhere, I really like the Cloud Nine. It works well with DW Link and is highly adjustable.)

Both of these are air damped shocks though. It may take some getting used to after using an oil damped shock for a while.

There could be fit issues with these shocks as well. I know that one of the forum regulars had problems with the AD-12 on a 2004 Hollowpoint. I managed to make a Cloud Nine fit my Hollowpoint, but it was oh-so-close to not fitting. (The air sleeve would just touch a piece of the bike's linkage at full compression.)
    need some suggestions on which direction i should go. am currently looking at
    purchasing a new shock. does someone know where i can get a fox float r low
    compression shock (6.5x1.5), or another shock that would work with the
    dw-link suspension for the azure?
    Check with Larry at Mountain High Cyclery. He'll know whether it's possible to purchase a Fox Float with a low compression tune.

You should also consider PUSH Industries. They can rebuild your current shock or sell you a new one custom tuned for the rider's bike, riding style, and weight.