mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Iron Horse 7Point3

How versatile is the 7Point3. I have the oppurtunity to pick one up dirt cheap. Now the majority of my riding is probably more towards the AM category. But my current bike is sucky and mostly broken, and this seems like it would be a huge upgrade, even if not the ideal bike for the job. So for a mixed bag of rooty single track, rocks, small drops, mud, climbing, etc... is the 7point3 a reasonable option? Or will I be sadly dissapointed?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    7Point is in my opinion one of the best frames ever, it can do anything. But honestly unless you are climbing specifically to get to a stunt-filled DH trail, or doing lots of lift-access riding, it might not be right for you. It's a heavy bike that needs high speeds and steep pitches to really come alive. On regular trails, my 7p just felt sluggish.

From your description you might be better off with something else- if your trails don't have big jumps and gnarly drops it's probably too much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think my biggest issue is that I can get ahold of this for substantially less than it's worth.
    If I can pick it up for 200 bucks, isn't going to outdo anything else I could possibly find in that regard? Obviously it's ridiculously heavy. But is it really going to come off as that bad on the trail? Does it really need the DH with drops to be solid bike?

banned
    My 6POINT weighs 38lbs; your 7POINT w/ a standard build is heavier. 40lbs, maybe 42lbs.
    Another find to have this bike be a fun rider: go with a lighter rim, steel-beads on tires and if not Tubeless, just push lighter tubes. Stiffness for your wheel/tire is kept but lesser-the-weight is brought around. Hyper-Critical. Run 2.5" in the front and 2.3" in back so you can soften the tires and let the bike glide. WTB makes a slick lite-duty DH WeirWolf in 2.55, and it is a good weight. Put its 2.3" mate on back and there is an easy 2lbs dropped (from OE). It will be a bike that will be high 30lbs, if just 40lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus
    How versatile is the 7Point3. I have the oppurtunity to pick one up dirt cheap. Now the majority of my riding is probably more towards the AM category. But my current bike is sucky and mostly broken, and this seems like it would be a huge upgrade, even if not the ideal bike for the job. So for a mixed bag of rooty single track, rocks, small drops, mud, climbing, etc... is the 7point3 a reasonable option? Or will I be sadly dissapointed?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    $200 is not a good deal if it's so unsuitable you don't want to ride it.

Dump trucks and Porsches can both do laps at a racetrack, but one is more suitable than the other. But both will be hella fun!

Seriously, if it's that cheap, just buy it- if you end up not liking it, no big deal. It may not be ideal for you, but it's a rad bike, and bikes are fun, so it's all good. And if it's a 2007 in medium, you can sell it to me when you're sick of it

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by norton05
    $200 is not a good deal if it's so unsuitable you don't want to ride it.

Dump trucks and Porsches can both do laps at a racetrack, but one is more suitable than the other. But both will be hella fun!

Seriously, if it's that cheap, just buy it- if you end up not liking it, no big deal. It may not be ideal for you, but it's a rad bike, and bikes are fun, so it's all good. And if it's a 2007 in medium, you can sell it to me when you're sick of it
    That's kind of my thoughts on the subject. It seems I could recover my investment with ease should it not fit the bill. And in theory the bike I use most on rides tends to be a FR bike anyway, so this probably isn't a hell of a lot different. (Minus brakes, derailleurs, and things of that nature working properly. )

And I'm not sure the year. Is there an easy way to tell on an IH? As for sizing, I also have no idea on size. We shall see if it fits when I get on it.

mtbr member
    Its not ideal, but I do xc rides on mine from time to time with thousand+ of feet of climbing. Its heavy but climbs well. And lots of days at Trestle, where its really fun. I'd hit it for $200.

banned
    I just looked and the 2.55" WeirWolf is not availible in Steel Bead. Just don't go too-stiff with your wheelset, they are generally heavier and using the bike for Trails like that would be torture.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Is there an easy way to tell on an IH?
    For sizing, look at seat tube/top tube junction. Larges have an open triangle above the top tube made by a brace to the seat tube. Mediums have the brace, but there is no gap to the top tube. Smalls have a much smaller brace- top and seat tubes meet and basically form an 'L'.

As for the year, if the top suspension links are straight and grey, it's 2005-6. Shiny silver links that bend inward mean 2007-8, and shiny links plus unbent top tube mean 2008.
    Last edited by norton05; 09-01-2010 at 01:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by norton05
    For sizing, look at seat tube/top tube junction. Larges have an open triangle above the top tube made by a brace to the seat tube. Mediums have the brace, but there is no gap to the top tube. Smalls have a much smaller brace- top and seat tubes meet and basically form an 'L'.

As for the year, if the top suspension links are straight and grey, it's 2005-6. Shiny silver links that bend inward mean 2007-8, and shiny links plus unbent top tube mean 2008.

Looks like a medium frame, and I'm not sure on year. suspension link looks shiny, but unbent If google images is telling me anything it's an 06 based on color.

banned
    2005 should be Red/Grey-Camo Script. 2006 is a pale Green. 2007 is Black.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, it's an olive green type color. And it's mine now. Haven't gotten a chance to ride it. (I did ride it around the yard, but that's hardly telling) Doesn't seem that bad. It is heavy, but so is my Gary Fisher.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    is one year beter than the other. or are the 06s not as good as the 08 model 7 point?