mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Installing/Removing Maxxis on Crosslands

Hi guys,

This may sound very rockie but the problem is that my previous wheelset, on my hardtail, allow me to remove and install the tires by hand. No need for levers.

Now, on my Crosslands, everytime I want to change the Maxxis for my IRC XC Semislick it just turned in a 45 to 1 hour job. The Maxxis are a real pain when you just have less than 4 inches to fully install the tire. I already broke 2 levers and the only way to get the job easier is to add some dish soap. But, what would happen if I have to remove the tire in the middle of a trail where I do not have dish soap near? And it is also a real messy job.

To resume: is there any way to easily install Maxxis Hansventure on Mavic Crosslands? Any tip/trick? And of course, to get them aligned correctly (hear the "snap" sound during the inflating process).

Thanks,

Erwin
    Yauco, PR

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I swapped out the Hansventure tires for WTB Mutanoraptors. Yep, things are tight. But by using threee irons and working my way around the rim, I never had to resort to soap. Good luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin
    This may sound very rockie but the problem is that my previous wheelset, on my hardtail, allow me to remove and install the tires by hand. No need for levers.

Now, on my Crosslands, everytime I want to change the Maxxis for my IRC XC Semislick it just turned in a 45 to 1 hour job. The Maxxis are a real pain when you just have less than 4 inches to fully install the tire. I already broke 2 levers and the only way to get the job easier is to add some dish soap. But, what would happen if I have to remove the tire in the middle of a trail where I do not have dish soap near? And it is also a real messy job.
    The Crossland rims have a narrow channel in the center of the rim. The trick for removing a tire from these rims is to push the bead into the center channel. Work your way around the rim and make sure the entire bead is in this channel. Once that is done, this channel gives you enough bead material to work with so that a portion of it will clear the rim without the need for tire levers. Once you get a bit of it over the edge of the rim, the rest follows easily. If you're simply changing the tube, leave the other bead in place; otherwise, remove it in the same fashion. Just reverse the process when you're putting the tire back on. Mavic has instructions on their web site; they also say that tire irons should not be used with these rims.

FWIW, I had the same problems when I first tried to remove the Hansventure tires from my Mavic Crosslands. I even used tire irons (but no soap though). Once I found the Mavic instructions, I was able to do it without tire irons. It was still hard, but doable. Anyway, this is something you ought to practice at home a few times before needing to do it on the trail. I think the tightness is more due to the rim than the tires. I presently have a pair of Panaracer Cinders on my bike and they were just has hard to put on.