Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IH W-Six shock

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

IH W-Six shock

Hi,
    hopefully someone can help me: just bought a 06 Iron Horse W-Six (so a Warrior with 6" of travel) without shock and could not get hands on any info concerning shock length/stroke and bushing size. Does anyone know?
    thanks and happy trails

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The shock size is 7.875 x 2.25. The spacer should be M8x23.0mm. If it was the one that just on ebay I was looking at that frame for my nephew but he decided to just keep his warrior for now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yes, i bought it on ebay, we are talking about the same frame. Thank you so much for those infos. I think i will use a Manitou Swinger X4.....
    happy trails from Bavaria

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Does anyone have any information about this bike? I can't seem to find anything on it. Is the frame any good? Sorry to thread-jack but I didn't want to start a new thread when this one was already there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    It's basically a 6" travel Warrior. While I've never rode the W-six the Warrior is a decent single pivot frame. It was only sold in 2006 so I guess there weren't very many.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Don't mean to bring back this thread again but I just took a measurement for the rear swingarm and it came out to be 150mm wide with 10mm dropouts. Can ayone verify this? I'm finding it near impossible to find a 10x150mm rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You sure it isn't a Yakuza? They had 150x12mm dropouts. The W-Six had 135x9mm/10mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just double checked the measurement and to be a little more precise, it measures about 147mm and the dropouts are 10mm. The frame has a W-six decals, it's green and says "world cup" on the back. There's a serial number on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell that says "06E0000055," is this a true W-six or did I get scammed? Is it possible that the swingarm bowed out in storage?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That's definately a W-Six. Sounds like the rear triangle may have gotten bent. Was it used?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ebay seller listed it as brand new. It was in the box still wrapped up in foam and paper. Has a little black spacer thing that was plugged into the dropouts.

Just to make sure I'm measuring this correctly. I measured between the two dropouts and got a measurement between 146 and 147mm. The frame doesn't look like it has any damage. Doesn't look bent and I don't see any stress marks or anything.

Any recommendations on what I should do?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I looked at the frames he has and they aren't 135x9 so your measurent are correct. In fact the whole rear triangle looks different than in the iron horse catalog. I'd go with a 150x12mm hub and just file down the dropouts to fit if needed. There are some 150x10 but they're pricey options.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was thinking to just go with the 12mm and file down the dropouts to match like you just said but I wasn't sure about it. Looks like that's going to be the most cost-effective method though so bottoms up!

Since the rear swingarm turned out to have some different measurements and while we're on the topic of measurements...The bottom bracket shell measured about 83mm wide with an inner diameter of about 45mm. Are all 83mm bottom brackets the same inner diameter and threading? I can't seem to find much on these. I never even knew there was an 83mm bottom bracket until I bought this frame actually lol.

For the rear shock mounts, I measured them to be 45mm (including the thickness of the mounts) with 8mm eyelets. Will the 23mm spacers still work? I snagged a Rock Shox Vivid Coil shock for the frame so that should be shipping out soon.

Sorry for all of the questions but this is my first true build. In hindsight I probably should have got a frame that's a little more well-known; live and learn though eh? Thanks a bunch for all of the help Remy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well these sure aren't W-Six frames. Does it have a 1.5" headtube?

Measure the inside distance of the shock mount and that will give you the spacer size. The bottom bracket shell should be a little less than 34mm diameter. Any 83mm crankset will work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If I remember correctly, the head tube measured 1-1/8"

I'll have to double check the bottom bracket diameter later when I get home. 45mm did seem to be quite odd when I measured it as I was expecting it to be around 35mm or so.

This entire frame seems to have some very odd measurements to it, I wonder if I'm the only experiencing this with a W-six. Once again, thanks Remy for the help!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    After looking through the IH catalogs again it appears the frame is a Sachem. The 06 W-Six had solid pivot framework and the 07 Sachem got the cutout like the Warriors have. Other than that they were the same bike. You seem to have a cross between a Yakuza and a Sachem. The Sachems were 73mm BB and 135mm dropout spacing just like the Warrior.

The same seller was selling some IH team bikes that were different too. Maybe they are some of the bikes made for the IH riders. Since alot of the IH back inventory did happen too umm disappear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So I have some sort of "hybrid" W-six in a sense?

I'm really concerned about the BB. I just drew a 35mm diameter hole and it is definitely smaller than the BB diameter on the frame. No freaking clue how I'm going to solve this problem...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Seems so. Could the BB be 48mm diameter? That's the size of the isis overdrive system.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I won't know for sure until I get home with my caliper but I'm fairly sure it measured 45mm when I checked it last night. I knew I should have brought the frame to work with me...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just remeasured everything on the frame with the calipers from work. Looks like I'll have to toss the ones at home as they were WAY off. The ones from work are spot on, I double checked them before measuring. Anyways, for anyone interested or looking for these specs (I couldn't find them online anywhere myself), here's what I found

Bottom Bracket Width: 73.04mm
    Bottom Bracket Diameter:33.26mm

Rear Swingarm Width: 136.50mm
    Swingarm Dropouts: 9.9mm

Shock Mount Width (front): 23.2mm
    Shock Mount Width (rear): 23.8mm

Headtube Inner Diameter (smaller diameter below cup): 42.25mm or 1.623"
    Headtube Inner Diameter (cup diameter): 42.54mm or 1.675"

Seat Post: 29.47mm

I'm a little unsure about the headtube, does that seem about right in terms of dimensions? Thanks for baring with me through this whole ordeal Remy. I'm really glad I double checked with the work calipers though or it would have been a parts ordering disaster!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Now those are the measurements I expected. Glad it was just the calipers and not some freak bike although the frame pics made the dropout look really large. And IH has done some weird things in the past.

The headtube does seem slightly small but it's still close to the ZS44 standard. You'll need a 30mm seatpost and 34.9 clamp.

What are you planning component wise?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I haven't really decided on components just yet. I'm still debating whether or not to go 10spd with the bike so I haven't decided on a drivetrain yet. I still have some reading to do to figure out what headset I would need for said fork. I'm liking the Rockshox Sektor RL Coil Fork though and I'm leaning towards the Easton EA70 XC wheels.

Would the IS42 headsets be a better choice for my headtube vs. the ZS44 headsets?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That's a good fork choice. I looked at them before I got a deal on a Revelation.

The frame is ZS and came with a FSA Orbit Z headset. An IS headset wouldn't work since there's no machined cup in the headtube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yeah I'm hoping to pick it up by the end of the month or so. May have to put the bike on hold a bit with the fall semester about to start back up.

Thanks for the heads up on the headset, I'm going to try and get the headset and fork at the same time. Any recommendations for bottom brackets? I'm 99% positive I'm going to go 10spd on this bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The bottom bracket will come with pretty much what ever crankset you choose. You planning 1x 2x or3x 10 and what kind of budget? I like Race Faces offerings and since they're out of business for now they can be picked up somewhat cheap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm planning a 1x10 for this bike. I just don't use the other gears enough while on the trails to see a need for them. I figure if I ever go riding around the neighbourhood or something I can always use my current bike that has a 3x8 gearset on it. I'm definitely liking the Race Face cranks I saw when browsing. Top priority for right now is to get my hands on a fork and wheelset.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast